Research Associate - Peng Lab
Posting DetailsPosting Information Vacancy TypeEHRA Non-FacultyIs Internal Transfer OnlyNoWorking TitleResearch Associate - Peng LabSalary RangeAnticipated Hiring RangeCommensurate with education and experience.Position Number00105775Work ScheduleMonday - Friday, 8:00am - 5:00pmFull Time Equivalent (FTE)1.0Department194001 - Dept Molecular Biomedical ScieDepartmentDept Molecular Biomedical ScieJob City & StateRaleigh, NCPrimary Function of Organizational Unit
The Department of Molecular Biomedical Sciences trains doctors of veterinary medicine and graduate students interested in research-based careers focused on the discovery of new knowledge about animal and human health and disease and using those findings to enhance animal and human health and well-being. Students get in depth knowledge of the molecular mechanisms of disease, and experience in the development of new procedures which enable its prevention, diagnosis, and treatment.
Our faculty are recognized experts in the fields of cell biology and physiology, cancer biology, developmental biology, environmental science and toxicology, genomics, infectious diseases, neuroscience, pharmacology, radiology, and reproductive biology. Our goals are to advance veterinary medical science through innovative basic and applied research, and by mentoring and inspiring students, providing world-class clinical and diagnostic services, and offering the public the latest knowledge through innovative extension and engagement activities.
Our research faculty work in state-of-the-art research facilities including a transgenic mouse facility where graduate students can participate in research projects related to mouse and animal genomics.
A number of graduate programs are available to students interested in working with faculty in the Department of Molecular Biomedical Sciences. In addition, faculty oversee following clinical sections: anesthesia, clinical nutrition, pharmacology, and the radiology residency.Essential Job Duties
The Peng Lab uses systems approaches to better understand pathogen-host-microbiome interactions and microbial pathogenesis. The goal is to uncover underlying molecular mechanisms of microbial pathogenesis and to identify targets of intervention as well as biomarkers for clinical applications. We focus on computational analysis of high-throughput omics data combined with experimental validation. The Lab is housed in the College of Veterinary Medicine (CVM) Research Building located at the NCSU Biomedical Centennial Campus, and is part of NCSU Bioinformatics Research Center.
The incumbent of this position will develop and perform wet-lab research in the lab. It is anticipated that the candidate will serve as a co-investigator and/or key personnel, and contribute preliminary data to research grant proposals.
This candidate will maintain animal and human cell lines, perform in vitro infections with human and animal pathogens, conduct high-throughput DNA and RNA sequencing using cell culture, animal model and human clinical samples, and high-throughput library screen in vitro. The candidate will assist the development of research projects and hypotheses, interpret and evaluate data, compile experimental results and findings for publication.
The selected individual will understand the rationale for the research, and perform related experiments to test research hypotheses. Research activities include independent management of research projects, experimental assay and protocol development, and designing and carrying out experiments.
Duties include the following:
- Infection of cell cultures with human and animal pathogens such as HIV/SIV and influenza
- RNA and DNA isolation from different cell and tissue types
- Determination of nucleic acid concentrations and integrity on research samples
- Construction of libraries for RNA and DNA deep sequencing
- Performing deep sequencing runs and qRT-PCR assays
- Performing high-throughput library screen in vitro
- Implementing, developing, and optimizing custom experimental protocols
- Independently maintaining lab records and entering experimental results into the web-based LIMS
- Managing sample acquisition from collaborating research laboratories
- Maintaining sample inventory
- Participating in developing methodology, protocols, and troubleshooting
- Presenting experimental results to other laboratory members
- Contributing to publications, reports, and draft manuscripts
A Masters degree OR PhD in biological science or relevant field.Departmental Required Skills
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently as well as contribute to a supportive team environment.
- Strong analytical skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to coordinate and prioritize multiple, concurrent projects.
- Knowledge of laboratory equipment and procedures.
- Accurate record keeping and data management skills.
- Desire and willingness to learn, develop, and execute new experimental techniques and take on challenging scientific problems.
NARequired License or Certification
In addition to your application please submit a cover letter, a current resume or curriculum vitae, and the contact information for three or more professional references.Job Open Date10/02/2019Anticipated Closing DateIs this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?NoProposed Hire DateAA/EOE
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you learn of this opportunity?
- NCSU Website
- NCSU Executive Search Services
- Other Online Job Board
- Carolina Job Finder / Employment Guide
- Job / Career Fair
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Professional Journal
- Print Advertisement (Newspaper / Periodical)
- Professional Organization
- Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (HERC)
- Direct Contact from NCSU HR Representative / Recruiter
- NCSU Employee Referral
- Social Media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Other)
- If you learned about this vacancy from "other source" or "other website", please provide the source.
(Open Ended Question)
- * This position requires a Masters or PhD degree in biological science or a relevant field. Do you meet this requirement?
- Cover Letter
- Contact Information for References