Posting DetailsPosting Information Vacancy TypeNon-Tenure-Track FacultyIs Internal Transfer OnlyNoWorking TitleLecturer, CommunicationSalary RangeAnticipated Hiring Range$3,500 to $5,000 per sectionPosition Number00005037Work ScheduleVaries Based on Teaching ScheduleFull Time Equivalent (FTE).225 - .675Department160701 - CommunicationDepartmentCommunicationJob City & StateRaleigh, NCPrimary Function of Organizational Unit
The Department of Communication is one of the largest departments at NC State, with nearly 700 undergraduate majors and about 70 full- or part-time graduate students (M.S. and Ph.D.). The undergraduate curriculum offers three programs toward a degree: Public and Interpersonal Communication, Communication Media, and Public Relations. We have two graduate programs – a Masters of Science in Communication and an interdisciplinary (with the English department) PhD program in “Communication, Rhetoric, and Digital Media.” We place a solid grounding in communication theory at the core of everything we teach. Award winning faculty members collaborate on research and teaching, often across the program areas. Our professional interdependence reflects our departmental culture, which is characterized by mutual respect, friendliness and dedication to advancing the teaching, research and service missions of the university.Essential Job Duties
Teach basic undergraduate communication studies courses.
The position(s) are one-semester or one-year, non-tenure-track appointments with possibility of renewal.Other Work/ResponsibilitiesMinimum Education/Experience
Requires a master’s degree, an equivalent degree, or equivalent professional experience.Departmental Required Skills
Proven ability to teach undergraduate courses in one or more of the following areas:
- Undergrad public speaking
- Interpersonal communications
- Communication ethics
- Communication public relation
- Organizational communication
- Rhetoric and Public Address
A Masters in Communication or in related fields and teaching experience at the college level.Required License or Certification
Applicants should upload a cover letter, curriculum vita, list of contacts for references, sample syllabus (attach via Other Doc (1), and assignments (attach via Other Doc (2).Job Open Date03/06/2019Anticipated Closing DateIs this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?NoProposed Hire Date07/01/2019AA/EOE
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you learn of this opportunity?
- NCSU Website
- NCSU Executive Search Services
- Other Online Job Board
- Carolina Job Finder / Employment Guide
- Job / Career Fair
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Professional Journal
- Print Advertisement (Newspaper / Periodical)
- Professional Organization
- Direct Contact from NCSU HR Representative / Recruiter
- NCSU Employee Referral
- Social Media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Other)
- If you selected "Other" for the previous question, please provide the source you learned about this opportunity from.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have (or will you have by date of hire) a master's degree or higher?
- * Do you have teaching experience at the college level?
- * Please select the course that you are most interested in teaching?
- Undergrad Public Speaking
- Interpersonal Communications
- Communication Ethics
- Communication Media
- Communication Public Relation
- Organizational Communication
- Rhetoric & Public Adrress
- * Of the following courses, please identify which courses you are qualified to teach: Undergrad Public Speaking, Interpersonal Communication, Communication Ethics, Communications Media, Communication Public Relations, Organizational Communication, Rhetoric & Public Address
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Other Document (1)
- Other Document (2)
- Contact Information for References