Music - Assistant Professor of Music Composition and Theory Tenure Track Faculty (Category I)
Commensurate with education and experienceEmployee CategoryFacultyDepartmentMUS - MusicEClass CodeFT Faculty-10 mo with benesPosition Summary
Full Time Tenure-Track Assistant Professor of Music Composition and Theory, beginning fall 2020.
The University is particularly interested in applicants who have experience working with students from diverse backgrounds and a demonstrated commitment to improving access to higher education for under-represented groups. Metropolitan State University of Denver is an equal opportunity employer.Duties/Responsibilities
• Teach a 12 hour load per semester.
• Teach a variety of courses within the Composition and Theory area, as related to candidate’s background and experience. Teaching areas may include studio instruction in composition, theory lecture and/or aural skills labs, advanced analysis and other courses as appropriate.
• Maintain activity as a composer.
• Serve as the coordinator of the composition area.
• Work in partnership with faculty colleagues to recruit and retain students.
• Advise students, participate in scholarly professional activities, and perform department, university, and community service.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
ABD or Master’s Degree in Music plus significant regional recognition as a composer.Preferred Qualifications
• Doctorate in Music Composition.
• Demonstrated successful college teaching experience.
• Demonstrated national activity as a composer; evidence of, and an ability to work in, a wide variety of compositional styles and genres.
• Experience in entrepreneurial activities.
• Experience coordinating a college program.
• The successful candidate must have the ability to work with, and be sensitive to, the needs of a diverse urban population.
Complete applications received by December 1, 2019 will receive full consideration. The position is open until filled.
IMPORTANT: In order to be considered as an applicant, you must apply via the online application system, www.msudenverjobs.com.
References refers to a list of three professional references and their contact information.
In order for your file to be considered complete, you must also submit the following:
1) Unofficial transcripts and
2) A link to representative audio and/or video performances of compositions under “Other Document” in the application.
If you are unable to submit these at the time of application, please submit them to Christine Devine at [email protected] no later than 7 days after the full consideration date.
Official transcripts will be required of the candidate selected for hire.BenefitsDiversity Statement
MSU Denver is pleased to offer our current and potential employees a wide array of benefit options. To learn more, please visit the following link:
Employee Benefits Offerings
Metropolitan State University of Denver is a unique, access-oriented campus community that values diversity, equity, and inclusion in all its forms. We are a designated Hispanic Serving Institution located in downtown Denver. Our student population consists of nearly 50% first generation students and over 45% students of color.
We create an equitable learning and working environment in concert with individuals who consistently demonstrate commitment to equity and inclusion. We value the diverse identities and perspectives of our students, faculty, and staff and recognize that in order to achieve a just and equitable society, diversity must go beyond simple representation. It requires critical inquiry and dialogue and a commitment to action. We strive to provide a foundation for all community members to achieve personal and professional success.
- Curriculum Vitae
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Unofficial Transcripts
- Other Document
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Thank you for considering employment at Metropolitan State University of Denver! We would like to know how you heard about MSU Denver and our Career Site. Please select the category below that describes how you heard about the position you are applying for.
- msudenver.edu Career Site
- A friend or colleague
- Andrew Hudson
- Colorado State Home page
- Current MSU Denver Employee
- Google Jobs Search
- Higher Ed Jobs
- The Chronicle of Higher Education