Career Adviser - Liaison to Academic Programs
Posting DetailsPosting Details Position TitleCareer Adviser - Liaison to Academic ProgramsPosting Number2019044EP Position Information Classification TitleCareer AdviserWorking TitleCareer Adviser - Liaison to Academic ProgramsClassification Code1350RCW Exemption Criteria13 - Counseling of StudentsEWU Position NumberE99499CUPA CodeFLSANon-ExemptBargaining Unit PSE% Full Time100Salary / Wage RangePS - 107Salary Information
$46,375 – $64,933Anticipated Start DateTerm of Appointment12 months/yearLocationCheneyCountyCheneyProject DescriptionProject DurationBackground CheckYes - BothResponsible HR UserSaundra GodinResponsible HR User Email [email protected] Posting Text Job Summary
We are currently seeking skilled and team-oriented applicants for the following position: Career Adviser-Liaison to Academic Programs
The position will report to the Associate Director-Career Services. Responsibilities include:
- Provide academic program-specific career advising to current EWU students and alumni.
- Collaboratively participate in the career planning team in order to provide career assistance to EWU students and alumni.
- Coordinate academic program-specific career related events.
The candidate selected for this position will be rewarded with competitive compensation and a comprehensive benefits package which includes highly subsidized health/dental plans, retirement plan with 100% university match, generous paid vacation and sick leave, 11 paid holidays (adjusted accordingly), tuition waiver benefit and more!
EWU expands opportunities for personal transformation through excellence in learning.About Eastern Washington University
Eastern is a regional, comprehensive university located in Cheney, 20 minutes from downtown Spokane. In addition to Eastern’s Cheney campus, we also offer our Riverpoint campus in Spokane, plus additional teaching/learning centers located in other cities throughout Washington State. Enrollment has reached over 12,000 students. The Cheney-Spokane area is the heart of the Inland Northwest, with excellent restaurants, theater, shopping, skiing, hiking, lakes, a choice of living in a medium-sized city or a small town, and high quality schools and housing.Diversity Statement
Eastern Washington University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, staff, students, and academic program offerings and to strengthening sensitivity to diversity throughout the institution. Eastern Washington University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer, and applications from members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged.Conditions of Employment
This position, during the course of university employment will be involved in the receipt of, or accountability for, university funds or other items of value, as well as the unsupervised access with the developmentally disabled, vulnerable adults or children under the age of 16. The offer of employment is contingent upon successful completion and passing of a background check prior to beginning employment.
This position is covered by the Public School Employees’ Collective Bargaining Agreement.Physical Demands
Optional: Contact Saundra Godin in Human Resource Services at [email protected] to obtain a copy of the Essential Functions Analysis which will describe conditions of employment, such as physical demands.Pre-Placement Physical NoHearing Test NoMedical Monitoring Post Hire NoProtective Equipment
None anticipatedRequired Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree
- Familiarity with technical resumes for related academic program disciplines
- Technologically proficient; strong computer skills including data knowledge
- Experience in public speaking and making group presentations
- Professional dress and demeanor required
- Candidate must demonstrate interest, ability and/or experience promoting cultural competency, universal accessibility and/or diversity.
- Master’s degree
- Two years equivalent experience in higher education, preferably in an advising capacity
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with others
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
Monday-Friday, 8am-5pmPosting Date10/17/2019Open Until Further NoticeNoClosing Date11/07/2019Screening to Begin11/08/2019Special Instructions to Applicants
It is strongly recommended that you print a copy of these instructions and the position posting before you begin to complete the online application, as the instructions will not be viewable once you begin the application process.
Required documentation includes all of the items listed below.
1. Attach a detailed cover letter in which you explain how you meet each of the required minimum qualifications [and preferred qualifications, if applicable]. It is preferred that you provide that information in a bulleted list or within a table within your cover letter.
2. Attach a chronological resume including work experience, education, and applicable certifications. Please include the names, addresses and phone numbers for 3 professional references in your resume (these can be identical to the references listed on the application).
3. Complete the online application form and respond to the online questions, if applicable.
4. Diversity Response – As an equal opportunity employer with a multicultural staff and student population, we are interested in how your qualifications prepare you to work with diverse faculty, staff, and student populations representing various cultures and backgrounds that may be different from your own. Please describe how you will apply an approach that is supportive to the diverse needs, including universal access, of our students, faculty, staff, and the public.
Provide academic program-specific career advising to current EWU students and alumni
- Provide both overall and industry-focused career advising services to students and alumni
- Prepare students professionally for internships and full time professional employment
- Assist students and alumni with use and troubleshooting the web-based career management system
- Develop working relationship with EWU Alumni to identify alumni networking opportunities for current students
- Maintain supervisor determined office hours at both Cheney and Spokane campuses in order to serve a wide range of students and alumni
- Provide on-site services to assigned programs to increase awareness of Career Center staff and resources
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks
- Create a presence within assigned academic program by acting as a liaison adviser to faculty and staff in the specific programs, assisting faculty and staff in developing career development components for classes
- Collaborate with faculty to identify key employers for potential internships and full time professional jobs
Collaboratively participate in the career planning team in order to provide career assistance to EWU students and alumni
- Advise students regarding resumes, cover letters, interviewing tips, job search strategies and professional development
- Collaborate and support career development staff to plan campus-wide workshops, career fairs, employer panels, etc.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and willingness to engage in campus outreach and programming to students, faculty and staff from diverse backgrounds
- Provide on-site services to other campus constituents (residence halls, SAIL, etc.) as needed which may require alternative scheduling in order to coincide with student schedules
- Occasional evenings and weekends required for participation in scheduled campus events
- Work collaboratively with other departments such as Student Life, Academic Advising, etc.
Coordinate program-specific career related events
- Educate and inform students by planning and implementing workshops and group presentations
- Organize mock interviews and schedule professional speakers and other program-focused programming as needed
- Serve as team leader in conjunction with other Career Center staff in planning a significant program-specific career event each quarter
- Participate in on-site visits with appropriate companies, organizations and career fairs with Employer Relations Manager in order to establish future recruiting relationships
- Conduct workshops, networking events and class presentation on career related topics
- Coordinate on-campus recruiting with program-specific employers
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter
- Diversity Response
- DD214 Form
- Other Document #1
- Other Document #2