Director, Academic Program Reviews (0566U) - 2142 - 2142
Director, Academic Program Reviews (0566U) - 2142 - 2142 About Berkeley
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptance—academic and artistic, political and cultural—make it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html.
The mission of the Division of Academic Planning is to facilitate excellence in research and education at UC Berkeley. We oversee the overall academic direction of the university, steward space in university facilities, and facilitate strategic international partnerships. In fulfilling these goals, we collaborate closely with the schools, colleges, departments, and organizations across the campus, looking for synergies across organizational and disciplinary boundaries, and supporting the growth and development of emerging academic disciplines.
The Academic Program Review (APR) process supports UC Berkeley's efforts to sustain excellence in each scholarly discipline, as well as in pedagogy and research, and to build a strong and inclusive academic community, in line with campus priorities. Overseen by the Program Review Oversight Committee (PROC), a joint Academic Senate-Administration committee, the process is designed to be forward looking and is an essential element in Berkeley's institutional accreditation(link is external) by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC).
Reporting to the divisional Chief of Staff, this position operates as both a senior analyst and as the Director of Academic Program Reviews. The Director is the subject matter expert in all areas of academic program review practice and process and draws on extensive knowledge of campus policies and practices, department-level administration and outlook, and external trends and emerging issues in the relevant field. The responsibilities of this position are unique, campus-wide in scope, and critical to the University's academic standing. The work of this position affects every academic unit on campus as well as informing the work, and providing decision-support, for decisions on policy and resource allocation made by academic and non-academic leadership.
- Provides highly complex analyses across a campuswide spectrum of academic programs, policies, and initiatives.
- Administers the University's Academic Program Review program with accountability to school and college leadership, senior campus administrators, and external accreditation boards.
- Performs research as needed and develops briefings and committee reports which balance multiple sources and disparate points of view.
- Synthesizes data from several sources and presents actionable recommendations to the Vice Provost.
- Develops and coordinates policy communications, formulates strategies for education and enforcement.
- Participates with the Vice Provost and additional stakeholders (PROC, Deans, UCOP, other UC campuses) in initiating and developing new strategic directions, long- and short-range plans, policies, and innovations to programs.
- Develops proposals for changes to procedures and policies, including problem identification and options.
- Stays well informed of campus issues and keeps abreast of higher education current and emerging issues.
- Develops and advocates solutions to system issues, including developing and administering new systems, policies, processes, or programs. Communicates with stakeholders through several channels and maintains Academic Planning website.
- Proposes, leads, or participates on policy and planning committees and working groups.
- Researches and summarizes best practices in the field and provides analysis and makes recommendations to the Vice Provost of Academic Planning.
- Develops proposals and recommendations to guide and support a broader strategic direction for the program.
- Analyzes and interprets observations and data from multiple sources to detect underlying themes and make recommendations to Department Chairs, Deans, and the Vice Provost that serve in the long-term interest of the Department and program.
- Makes high-level contacts of a sensitive nature, internally and externally requiring discretion and diplomacy in order to negotiate with or persuades senior administrators to adopt proposed solutions.
- Services as the liaison to Department Chairs and Deans undergoing review, members of PROC, and external reviewers, managing reviews effectively and efficiently in accordance with established procedures, policies, and goals and evaluating and responding to issues as they arise.
- Ensures effective evaluation, communication, and implementation of outcomes.
- Guides and directs planning which may include senior campus administrators, faculty, external reviews, and other external constituencies.
- Coordination of Academic Program Review team activities and including one Institutional Research Analyst and five campus consultants.
- Coordination of more than one dozen program reviews simultaneously, with the corresponding ability to manage multiple deadlines.
- Expert knowledge of campus processes, protocols and procedures and external regulatory requirements in the policy domain and/or comparable institutional knowledge.
- Intermediate-to-advanced knowledge of common campus-specific computer applications and/or comparable knowledge.
- Advanced analytical/problem-solving skills.
- Advanced communication and interpersonal skills to communicate with and influence all levels of staff, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to synthesize information from several different sources into logical and actionable observations and recommendations.
- Advanced written communication skills.
- Advanced skills in all levels of project management.
- Ability to multi-task with demanding timeframes.
- Ability to navigate politically-sensitive discussions, use discretion and maintain all confidentiality.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
Salary & Benefits
This is an exempt, monthly paid position. Annual salary is commensurate with experience within the range of $83,900.00 - $124,200.00.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=2142&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency