Department Coordinator, Spanish & Portuguese
Macalester College seeks to hire a Department Coordinator to provide general administrative support to the Spanish & Portuguese department, using independent initiative to balance the priorities of the department and individual faculty. This person will act as a first point of contact for the department and is responsible for general departmental operations, fiscal monitoring, projects/events, management of confidential information, and supervision of student employees.
This position is full-time during the academic year, August through May.Responsibilities
- Provide direct administrative support for a dynamic academic support office
- Assist with general administrative tasks, provide clerical and administrative support to department faculty and staff, maintain department website and manage department social media accounts
- Act as administrative liaison and point of contact for the department to students, vendors and equipment technicians. During the summer, acts in this capacity for the building.
- Oversee and monitor department budgets, start up, and grant budgets. Coordinate budget requests
- Hire, train, supervise and provide direction to student office assistants
- Organize and coordinate department and building events
- Actively engages in learning and practicing principles of social justice and inclusion to increase individual capacity to support institutional changes that create and sustain a more welcoming and inclusive environment across the Macalester Community
- Knowledge of Spanish or Portuguese strongly preferred.
- High School Diploma Required, Bachelor’s degree preferred
- 1-3 years minimum of professional experience in an administrative role
- Demonstrated commitment to working with individuals of color, first-generation college students and/or individuals from diverse backgrounds
- Strong attention to detail, organizational skills and accuracy in financial and data management
- Excellent communication skills (i.e. writing, social media, digital design)
- Commitment to the public good and student development
- Demonstrated ability to multitask
- Proficient in MS Office and Google Suite
For best consideration, please submit resume in a PDF document through the Macalester Employment Opportunities webpage no later than October 31, 2019. All inquiries about this position should be directed to:
Talent Acquisition Manager
Macalester is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic staff committed to working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from everyone who would add richness to our community, including people of color, individuals with disabilities, women and LGBTQIA+ individuals. Candidates of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Since its founding in 1874, Macalester has provided students with the inspiration, insight, and experience to become successful and ethical leaders. Located in St. Paul, Minnesota, Macalester enrolls nearly 2,100 students who come from virtually every state and 91 countries. Macalester is committed to being a preeminent liberal arts college known for its high standards of scholarship and its special emphases on internationalism, multiculturalism, and service to society.
Macalester is proud of its longstanding commitment to social justice and creating a safe environment for all people regardless of sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship status, gender, religion, age, or ability. Macalester is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic staff committed to working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from everyone who would add richness to our community, including people of color, individuals with disabilities and women.
Macalester employees enjoy a fantastic benefits package and working environment that is second to none. Please visit http://www.macalester.edu/employmentservices/benefits/ for more information about benefits at Macalester College.