Chair of the Department of English
Chair of the Department of English
Associate Professor or Professor of English
Department of English
Kennesaw State University is now accepting applications for a twelve-month, tenure track Associate Professor or Professor of English faculty position in the Department of English, which begins July 1, 2020. This position will serve as the Chair of the Department of English.
The College of Humanities and Social Sciences at Kennesaw State University seeks a visionary and effective leader to become the next Chair of the Department of English. The Chair holds a 12-month position with the possibility of tenure upon appointment and reports to the Dean.
The ideal candidate will have a distinguished record of leadership in a field related to the Department’s research and academic programs and a clearly demonstrated commitment to shared governance and the values of inquiry, fairness, and collegiality. The candidate should be responsive to and advocate for the interests of a large department comprised of a dedicated and diverse faculty serving a vibrant student body. Key responsibilities of the position include (1) facilitating growth and development of the department’s English programs: literature, English education, film studies, professional writing, creative writing, composition and rhetoric, linguistics, literary and rhetorical theory, cultural studies, and graduate programs in writing and English education; (2) promoting and inspiring scholarship and creative activity; (3) championing pedagogy that enhances students’ critical thinking and writing abilities; (4) promoting and honoring diversity and inclusion across the department’s programs and among students, faculty, and staff; (5) cultivating external funding opportunities; (6) advocating for the department as integral to the missions of the college and the university; (7) administering performance evaluations; and (8) working collaboratively with faculty, the leadership team, and administrative staff to manage the operations of the department. The Chair is expected to teach one course per year and maintain an active research agenda. Experience with hybrid and online courses is a plus.
The successful candidate must have the following:
- An earned doctorate in one of the disciplines that comprise English Studies;
- A strong record of successful faculty leadership, including faculty and student mentoring, program and curriculum innovation, and the cultivation and promotion of a shared vision among colleagues;
- A successful record of administrative experience in a department, college, or university setting;
- An extensive record demonstrating excellence in personnel management, budgeting, communication, and faculty advocacy;
- A record of promoting diversity, inclusion, and equity;
- A record of excellence in teaching, reflective of current and best practices;
- Experience working collaboratively with colleagues in multiple specialties or disciplines;
- A record of excellence in scholarly and creative activity;
- A record of professional service and community engagement at department, college, university, discipline, and/or community levels;
- A record of cultivating external and internal sources of funding;
- A record of academic excellence commensurate with tenure at the rank of associate or full professor.
For more than 50 years, Kennesaw State University has been known for its entrepreneurial spirit and sense of community. Offering campuses in Marietta and Kennesaw, the university is located just north of Atlanta and combines a suburban setting with access to one of the country’s most dynamic cities. As Georgia’s third-largest university, Kennesaw State offers more than 100 undergraduate and graduate degrees, including a growing number of doctoral programs. Designated by the Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia as a comprehensive university, Kennesaw State is committed to becoming a world-class academic institution positioned to broaden its academic and research missions and expand its scope on a local, regional and national level.
For a full description of this position, application deadlines, and application procedures, visit https://facultyjobs.kennesaw.edu.
Kennesaw State University, a member of the University System of Georgia, is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, color, disability, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, and/or veteran status.
Georgia is an Open Records state.