Laboratory Assistant 1
Laboratory Assistant 1 Job Number Full/Part Time Schedule Salary 201910107501 50% Part Time Other $34,640 - $40,131 Position Information Under supervision, the lab assistant will maintain a large number of Bemisia tabaci MEAM1 (whitefly) colonies, propagate and plant plants and water infested and uninfested plants. This position requires knowledge of plant rearing and/or handling insects that feed on plants. The individual will help develop weekly watering schedules for the lab, maintain and clean the lab and support spaces as needed, and assist in general laboratory and growth chamber programming and maintenance. The lab assistant must be able to drive a small truck to transport soil and plants to their destinations. Under supervision, assist in insect infestations and other laboratory experiments. The lab assistant will be responsible for ordering materials for the laboratory. Minimum Requirements Ability to follow instructions and ability to maintain logs Experience plant growth and maintenance and/or maintenance of insect colonies on plants. Have strong attention to detail while being able to multitask and adapt to changing work load and priorities. Demonstrate interpersonal and communication skills and be able to work as part of team. Needs to have a sense of responsibility and strong work ethics. Ability to use Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint and Word. Facile with communicating by email, particularly experience with Outlook. Graduation from high school or a General Education Diploma and two years of laboratory experience or two years of college including courses in the natural, physical or social sciences and one year of laboratory experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience; and knowledge and abilities essential to the successful performance of the duties assigned to the position. Driving experience. Preferred Qualifications Two (2) or more years of college and one (1) year of laboratory experience, OR an equivalent combination of education and experience. Five years of related work experience. Additional Information In the Heart of Inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in Southern California; the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing Inland region. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities' air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history, and culture. UCR gives every student, faculty and staff member the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel.
UC Riverside is recognized as one of the most ethnically diverse research universities in the country boasting several key rankings of which we are extremely proud.
- UC Riverside was included in the (August 2018) edition of The Princeton Review's "The Best 382 Colleges."
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University (August 2017) Academic Ranking of World Universities ranked UC Riverside among the top 151 institutions. This survey bills itself as "the most trustworthy precursor of global rankings of the world's top 500 universities."
- In 2016, UCR was recognized for graduation rate success by the Association of Public and Land-Grant Universities (APLU) for achieving near parity across racial-ethnic, socio-economic, and gender boundaries.
- UCR ranks among the Top 15 Public Research Universities in the nation, as identified by the 2017 Washington Monthly.
- In 2017, two separate reports from the Education Trust celebrated UCR as a national leader for African American and Latino student success. UCR was one of just three schools to be named top-performing institutions in both reports and the only California campus recognized among 18 top-performing colleges and universities in the nation for high black student graduation rates.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer with a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
For information about our generous employee benefits package, visit: Employee Benefits Overview
Job Description Details View complete Job Description for this position