Executive Director of Integrated Health and Wellness
The mission of RISD, through its college and museum, is to educate students and the public in the creation and appreciation of works of art and design, to discover and transmit knowledge and to make lasting contributions to a global society through critical thinking, scholarship and innovation. Their immersive model of art and design education emphasizes robust liberal arts studies and conceptually driven studio-based learning in full-time bachelor's and master's degree programs across 19 majors. RISD's exceptional faculty foster student growth and development in extensive specialized facilities, enabling students to become confident, cross-disciplinary thinkers and nimble problem-solvers ready to confront the complexities of global practice in the 21st century. Nearly 30,000 alumni worldwide testify to the impact of a RISD education, exemplifying the vital role artists and designers play in defining global innovation. Founded in 1877, RISD and the RISD Museum help make Providence, RI among the most culturally active and creative cities in the region.
Reporting to the interim assistant vice president for student affairs, the executive director of integrated health and wellness is responsible for the successful delivery of health and wellness services to the RISD community, including Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS), Health Services (HS), and health promotion and education, ensuring these services align with and are supportive of RISD’s overall mission. The executive director will provide strategic leadership and direction to health and wellness services staff committed to serving a diverse student body. With a deep understanding of key trends and best practices, the executive director will work with colleagues across campus and throughout the region to develop and instill a strong culture of health and wellness that allows RISD students to enhance their capacity to learn and develop lifelong skills for success and develop and implement a comprehensive, holistic, and integrated health approach to services, programs, protocols, and policies in order to positively affect the physical and mental health and well-being of RISD students.
The Executive Director will be expected to provide leadership and supervision of Health Services, Counseling and Psychological Services, and health promotion and education; build a cohesive team among the health and wellness staff and facilitate effective collaborations to accomplish departmental and divisional goals and priorities; collaborate with other student affairs departments and their teams, as well as departments throughout campus and faculty, to promote and advance health and wellness priorities and support collaborative programming; and to lead an ongoing strategic planning and assessment process for the area of student health and well-being. In addition, the executive director will oversee health services and counseling with a focus on prevention, education, health promotion and effective clinical intervention; ensure that the HS and CAPS staff provide effective management of student illness, prevention and intervention, and health education programs within available resources, and efficient referral to resources outside of RISD; and ensure the delivery of high quality, culturally responsive care to students in alignment with RISD’s mission and goals. The executive director will oversee and champion efforts for health and wellness practices that promote personal development and student success; and actively engage with the Office of Title IX to develop, recommend, and implement learning goals and objectives related to promotion of healthy relationships among students and support and aid in the response to sexual misconduct incidents as needed. With an understanding of federal and state student health and wellness reporting and compliance requirements, the executive director will assure RISD’s student health and wellness departments, practices, and procedures follow industry standard best practices.
- An advanced degree and at least seven years of relevant progressive leadership and professional experience that includes demonstrated success in the management and supervision of health and mental health services;
- demonstrated leadership and supervisory experience in higher education settings specific to health and wellness;
- experience in budget and personnel management in a student life or healthcare environment;
- ability to lead and manage organizational change and the demonstrated ability to understand and respond to the climate and the culture of a college campus;
- excellent leadership, management, communication, interpersonal, and public speaking skills;
- strong commitment to student growth and development, and a holistic, multidisciplinary approach to student health and wellness.
- demonstrated ability to understand perspectives and experiences related to socioeconomic class, gender identity and expression, sexuality, race and ethnicity, privilege and power relationships, and transitions to adulthood, and a proven track record of carrying out equity and social justice efforts;
- demonstrated experience addressing issues of equity and inclusion with specific commitment to supporting a diverse student population and leading a diverse staff in an education environment committed to inclusion and fostering a sense of belonging; and
- sophisticated knowledge of current best practices and ability to evaluate for appropriateness and adoption at RISD. Experience with technology, systems, and tools used to provide and enhance student health and wellness services.
- Knowledge of integrated care and ability to effectively lead an integrated model of health and wellness preferred;
- Behavioral health background; and
- Successful candidate should be licensed as a psychologist in Rhode Island or be license-eligible within a designated time by RISD after hire.
Review of applications will begin November 15, 2019 and continue until the position is filled. A resume with an accompanying cover letter may be submitted via the Spelman Johnson website at www.spelmanjohnson.com/open-positions. Nominations for this position may be emailed to Kendra E. Dane at [email protected] Applicants needing reasonable accommodation to participate in the application process should contact Spelman Johnson at 413-529-2895.
Visit the RISD website at www.risd.edu
RISD recognizes diversity and inclusivity as fundamental to its learning community and integral to an art and design education. We welcome candidates whose experience has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. RISD is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, or any other protected characteristic as established by law.