Assistant, Associate, Professor (Tenure/Tenure Track)
Posting DetailsPosting Information Vacancy TypeTenured/Tenure-Track FacultyIs Internal Transfer OnlyNoWorking TitleAssistant, Associate, Professor (Tenure/Tenure Track)Salary RangeAnticipated Hiring RangeCommensurate with education and experiencePosition Number00106226Work ScheduleMonday - Friday, 8:00 am - 5:00 pmFull Time Equivalent (FTE)1.0 FTEDepartment020101 - Provost's OfficeDepartmentChancellor's Faculty Excellence Program- High-Dimensional Integration of Biological Systems (HIBS)Job City & StateRaleigh, NCPrimary Function of Organizational Unit
The Chancellor’s Faculty Excellence Program, North Carolina (NC) State University is bringing some of the best and brightest minds to join NC State University’s interdisciplinary efforts to solve some of the globe’s most significant problems. Guided by a strong strategic plan and an aggressive vision, the cluster hiring program is adding new faculty members in select fields to add more breadth and depth to NC State’s already-strong efforts. The Chancellor’s Faculty Excellence Program marks a major initiative of the university’s strategic plan, “The Pathway to the Future.” We invite you to explore the Chancellor’s Faculty Excellence Program and this cluster at https://facultyclusters.ncsu.edu/
NC State University provides a dynamic environment for research, teaching, mentoring, and collaboration across disciplines. Our location in the Research Triangle provides rich opportunities for interactions with industry, research organizations, other universities, and government agencies.
As part of the Chancellor’s Faculty Excellence Program (CFEP), NC State University seeks three outstanding faculty members to form a new interdisciplinary faculty cluster in High-Dimensional Integration of Biological Systems. Successful candidates will be expected to perform research at the interface of two or more existing NC State clusters, of which approximately half involve biology and medicine (https://facultyclusters.ncsu.edu). Although the positions are envisioned as appropriate for advanced Assistant or Associate Professor candidates, applications for Full Professor rank will be considered.
The faculty cluster in High-Dimensional Integration of Biological Systems will provide synergy to existing clusters, and act as an intellectual home for integrative analyses across multiple sub-disciplines. The cluster seeks faculty members with expertise in the following areas:
- High-throughput organizational biology and environmental multi-scale modeling. New technologies in measuring and screening biological systems at the molecular and cellular level will foster prediction of organismal behavior from individual components, with applications including computational toxicology, predictive epidemiology and epigenetics, tissue engineering, and modeling of population dynamics.
- High-dimensional analyses. The ‘omics revolution has made remarkable progress in discovering biological associations, assaying the states of cells and tissues, and assessing the state of microbial communities. However, increasing specialization limits the ability to benefit from cross-fertilization across analysis subfields. A burgeoning area in statistical methodology describes and takes advantage of emergent properties of high-dimension, low-sample size data, with profound implications for the integrative analysis of high-throughput data streams.
- 4D+ image analytics. As the ability to capture and store high resolution images and video increases, so does the need for new methods to rapidly and effectively model this multidimensional data, in order to provide novel insights into biological systems. Application areas may be as diverse as monitoring the topological landscape of a tissue or organ over time, quantifying the dynamic protrusive behavior of migrating cells in four dimensions, defining cellular properties in bio-printed 3D matrices, or localizing single molecules in a living cell.Other Work/ResponsibilitiesMinimum Education/Experience
Minimum requirements include a Ph.D. in a relevant field from an accredited institution, with experience appropriate to rank.Departmental Required Skills
Candidates should have a strong capacity to teach at both the undergraduate and graduate levels, including the capacity to mentor doctoral students and postdoctoral fellows.Preferred Experience, Skills, Training/Education
For candidates at the Assistant Professor level, multiple years of faculty-level experience is strongly preferred.
Priority will be given to candidates who have demonstrated interdisciplinary collaborations that cut across academic disciplines, have supervised research personnel, and who have extensive experience in obtaining external funding, including as principal investigator.
Inclusiveness and diversity are academic imperatives and thus university goals. The University is particularly interested in candidates with experience in working with students from diverse backgrounds and who have a demonstrated commitment to improving access to higher education for students from underrepresented groups.Required License or Certification
Applicants should submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, contact information for three references, and a research statement relevant to the cluster goals.
Review of applications will begin on September 15, 2017 and will continue until the positions are filled, with negotiable expected start dates in 2018. Questions about the positions may be directed with a subject line “HIBS” to Fred Wright ([email protected]).Job Open Date09/01/2017Anticipated Closing DateIs this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?NoProposed Hire DateAA/EOE
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- How did you learn of this opportunity?
- NCSU Website
- NCSU Executive Search Services
- Other Online Job Board
- Carolina Job Finder / Employment Guide
- Job / Career Fair
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Professional Journal
- Print Advertisement (Newspaper / Periodical)
- Professional Organization
- Direct Contact from NCSU HR Representative / Recruiter
- NCSU Employee Referral
- Social Media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Other)
- If you learned about this vacancy from "other source" or "other website", please provide the source.
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Contact Information for References
- Research Statement