Financial Aid Counselor- Front Counter
Financial Aid Counselor- Front CounterThe University of Southern Mississippi is currently accepting applications for the position of Financial Aid Counselor- Front Counter.
Position Details LocationHattiesburg
118 College Drive
Hattiesburg, Mississippi, 39406-0001
United States DivisionFinancial Aid Position TypeStaff Employment StatusFull Time Grant FundedNo Posting Close Date10/21/2019
Awards and counsels student and parents with financial aid specifically to offset cost of higher education. Handles and maintains the Financial Aid Office front counter.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Awards student financial aid by applying knowledge of need analysis, federal regulations and guidelines, and internal packaging policies. Evaluates federal eligibility by verifying federal applications and resolves any conflicting information by comparing income and asset information on federal applications, tax returns and other documentation received from applicants.
- Counsel students, parents, and others about financial aid. Request needed data from students or other agencies and institutions to complete files. Answers questions from co-workers, faculty, and staff concerning federal regulations on verification and awarding. Interacts with students and/or parents to clarify information for applicant’s files and responds to questions concerning documentation.
- Maintains the front counter. Serves as point of contact for visiting students, parents, and university personnel.
- Award miscellaneous scholarships from third party and faculty staff scholarships.
- Responsible for data entry, ImageNow, process emails as well as faxes.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Knowledge of Microsoft Office. Pose good customer services skills. Need great communication skills. Comfortable with public speaking and has the ability to multi-task.
Preferred Qualifications Knowledge of the federal aid program and application process. Have at least one year of financial aid experience.
About The University of Southern Mississippi
The University of Southern Mississippi (USM) is a comprehensive public research institution delivering transformative programs on campuses in Hattiesburg and Long Beach, at teaching and research sites in central and southern Mississippi, as well as online. Founded in 1910, USM is one of only 130 universities in the nation to earn the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education's "R1: Doctoral Universities - Very high research activity" designation, and its robust research enterprise includes experts in ocean science and engineering, polymer science and engineering, and sport venue safety and security, among others. USM is also one of only 40 institutions in the nation accredited in theatre, art and design, dance and music. As an economic driver, USM generates an annual economic impact of more than $600 million across the state. USM welcomes a diverse student body of approximately 15,000, representing 71 countries, all 50 states, and every county in Mississippi. USM students have collected four Truman Scholarships and 36 National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowships, while also leading Mississippi with 24 Goldwater Scholarships, an honor that recognizes the next generation of great research scientists. Home to the Golden Eagles, USM competes in 17 Division I sports sponsored by the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). For more information, visit www.usm.edu.As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer/Americans with Disabilities Act institution, The University of Southern Mississippi encourages minorities, women, veterans and persons with disabilities to apply.