AS-18-12 Assistant Professor, Communication
Assistant Professor, Communication
School of Arts and Sciences
Department: Communication Arts
Expected start date: Fall 2019
Deadline for applying: Open till filled
The Department of Communication Arts in the School of Arts and Sciences at the Lebanese American University (LAU) invites applicants to a tenure-track faculty position at the Assistant Professor rank. The department is interested in applicants who can contribute to developing the BA in Communication and producing research in the field.
- Teach on both campuses introductory and advanced communication courses, across three areas: Social and Political Communication, Interpersonal and Organizational Communication, as well as Advertising and Public Relations.
- Actively engage in research focused on social and political communication, preferably related to Lebanon and the Arab region.
- Advise and mentor students in the Communication track, support student projects, and help them connect with academic, research, and industry opportunities.
- Engage in service to the university and the department, particularly related to developing the new Communication program and building connections with the field and industry.
- Ph.D. or other terminal degree in communication or related ﬁeld.
- Strong theoretical and critical grounding.
- Evidence of successful university‑level teaching and training.
- Demonstrated interest in the Lebanese and Arab communication scenes.
- Evidence of scholarship and research productivity focused preferably on communication in Lebanon and the Arab world.
- A broad professional and/or academic background with experience working in or researching the communication industry, especially integrated new and social media campaigns, digital activism, political or social communication, advertising, or PR.
- Experience in social media, digital activism, integrated and corporate communication campaigns, crisis communication management, strategic communication, analytics for communication, and the integration of traditional and new media communication campaigns.
- Evidence of scholarly production focused on the Arab communication scene. Mastery of various quantitative or qualitative research methods, ideally both.
- Evidence of fund raising abilities and experience in developing and leading major research projects and international programs, such as festivals and study abroad and exchange programs.
- Knowledge of new digital and data methodologies and approaches, both in research and media production.
The Department of Communication Arts offers a broad-based liberal arts curriculum that balances theory, research, professional practice and critical inquiry, and prepares students to become innovative, professional, and ethical communicators ready to thrive in a rapidly evolving ﬁeld and industry. The department offers programs in multimedia journalism, television and ﬁlm, communication, and the performing arts. The department is dedicated to excellence in the production and diffusion of knowledge and the critical practice of media, ﬁlm and the performing arts. It aims to develop civically engaged and informed citizens capable of reflecting on local and global issues. It strives to graduate ethical scholars, artists, and professionals in the various communication fields and specialties.
The Lebanese American University is an Equal Opportunity Employer operating in Lebanon under a charter from the Regents of the State University of New York. Information about the University can be found at http://www.lau.edu.lb.
Prospective candidates should apply electronically by sending a letter of interest including a statement of teaching and research interests, an updated CV, and unofficial transcripts by email to: [email protected]. The CV should include the names, emails and phone numbers of three references. The university reserves the right to contact additional references with notice given to the candidates at an appropriate time in the process.
Candidates must refer to position no. AS-18-12 in the subject line of the email.
Share this job with your network:
Diversity Profile: University
AAUP COMPENSATION SURVEY DATAView more
Apply for AS-18-12 Assistant Professor, Communication
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly