IT & Fabrication Support and Outreach Associate - Illinois Informatics Institute Fab Lab (123013)
IT & Fabrication Support and Outreach Associate
Illinois Informatics Institute – Fab Lab
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The Illinois Informatics Institute seeks applicants for the position of IT & Fabrication Support and Outreach Associate. This position supports teaching, research and outreach projects of the CU Community Fab Lab by providing technical management and support of IT and fabrication equipment, software, training, and educational programming in the on-campus Fab Lab, as well as at partner sites in the community.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
IT Support and Management for all Fab Lab programs
- Developing methods and procedures for regular maintenance schedules and software updates.
- Scheduled maintenance and updates to equipment and software for all Fab Lab IT equipment.
- Trouble-shooting in-the-moment hardware/software failures during events.
- Assisting researchers and guest instructors with data-collection/database/server management, website updates, and, potentially, coding projects for Arduino or other micro-controllers.
- Regularly visiting University Surplus to identify and reserve appropriate equipment for projects.
Management of CUC Fab Lab programs at community partner sites addressing a wide variety of program aspects, including:
- Liaise with FabLab Community Partners to maintain collaborative outreach programs at partner sites.
- Maintain positive relationships with staff and principals at community partner sites.
- Maintenance of technical systems, including computers, laptops, network systems, and fabrication equipment such as paper cutters, 3D printers, embroidery machines, laptops, and tablets.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
One year of progressively more responsible work experience in an Information Technology (IT) related profession, OR College coursework which included Information Technology (IT), or a closely related discipline, may be substituted as follows: 60 semester hours or Associate’s Degree equals one (1) year. One year experience of community outreach and development community relationships. One year experience maintaining fabrication equipment including 3D printers, paper cutters, embroidery machines, CNC machines. Experience can be concurrent.
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- B.S. or B.A. in Community Informatics or related field.
- Familiarity with use and applications of small electronics, 3D printing or CNC machines; Maintenance of fabrication equipment such as 3D printers, CNC machines, paper cutters, embroidery machines.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Fabrication processes and concepts. Basic use of Inkscape, Silhouette, Blender. Design processes and concepts; basic and advanced use of any design software
This is a full-time Civil Service Information Technology Support Associate position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after October 30, 2019. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Applications must be received by October 30, 2019. Apply for this position using the “Apply for Position” button below. If you have not applied before, you must create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu. If you already have a profile, you will be redirected to that existing profile via email notification.
To complete the application process:
Step 1) Submit the Staff Vacancy Application.
Step 2) Submit the Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability forms.
Step 3) Upload your cover letter, resume (months and years of employment must be included), and academic credentials (unofficial transcripts or diploma may be acceptable) and names/contact information for three references.
In order to be considered as a transfer candidate, you must apply for this position using the “Apply for Position” button below. Applications not submitted through this website will not be considered. For further information about this specific position, contact Candy Edwards at [email protected] For questions about the application process, please contact 217-333-2137.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University’s commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu.
College Name or Administrative Unit:Illinois Informatics Institute Category:8-Technical Title:IT & Fabrication Support and Outreach Associate - Illinois Informatics Institute Fab Lab (123013) Open Date:10/16/2019 Close Date:10/30/2019 Organization Name:FabLab