Extension Outreach Associate, Energy Education Council - University of Illinois Extension (123721)
EXTENSION OUTREACH ASSOCIATE, ENERGY EDUCATION COUNCIL - 123721
College of Agricultural Consumer and Environmental Sciences (ACES)
University of Illinois Extension
The Energy Educational Council is an independently funded 501 (c) 3 national non-profit with a long-time connection to the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. The Extension Outreach Associate for the Energy Education Council (EEC) serves as a full-time academic professional staff member with primary responsibility for the development, delivery, and evaluation of marketing and training programs to recruit and retain membership; and development, delivery, and evaluation of all fundraising/membership recruitment/membership retention activities of the Energy Education Council. This position has a member services emphasis both in member retention and new-member acquisition.
One full-time position is available.
Location: Energy Education Council (4440 Ash Grove Drive – Suite B, Springfield, IL 62711)
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
This is a security-sensitive position. Comprehensive background checks, including but not limited to a criminal conviction information check, a CANTS check, and a review of the Registered Sex Offender list, will be conducted.
Specific responsibilities of the Extension Outreach Associate, Energy Education Council are as follows:
Program Development, Delivery, and Evaluation
- Recruit electric utility and energy business members by following up on leads, identifying prospects and effectively communicating member benefits in conjunction with/complementary to the executive director’s efforts.
- Create and deliver high quality and engaging best practices and program-oriented presentations.
- Conduct webinars to educate members on available resources and demonstrate how to access and best use member resources.
- Complete related projects that include but are not limited to PowerPoints, webinars and other communications necessary to educate on and promote membership resources or growth. These projects will require researching, writing and presentation skills.
- Use customer relationship-management software to track communication and outreach, create reports, and document relationship history.
- Develop strategic direction and manage implementation of marketing plan, including development and implementation of fundraising plan.
- Develop and direct the implementation of the EEC recruiting, retention, and fundraising plan.
- Oversee EEC’s brand identify in relation to its use among all members, including monitoring adherence to logo standards policy for use of the EEC name and logo.
- Supervise the activities involved with collecting annual meter counts from utility members, collection of member contact information, and accuracy of communication email and mailing lists.
- Supervise student interns and manage their activities and work responsibilities.
- Organize and supervise the involvement of staff, board members, and volunteers in the design and implementation of fundraising and member recruitment activities.
- Develop and direct the implementation of a social media marketing plan for fundraising and marketing identified needs.
- Coordinate with staff to prioritize promotional needs; work with communications staff for proofing and grammatical style input and to ensure consistency and branding.
- In conjunction with other team members, create and prepare stakeholder communication items, including written pieces, web content, and other member and prospective member/sponsor/partner communications.
- Evaluate the impact of program initiatives in a planned and statistically relevant fashion. Evaluation plans should focus not only on short-term impacts but also on long-term changes in member practices.
Organizational Leadership and Development
- Promote and market EEC member benefits to existing/prospective members and related organizations in person, on the phone, via email or other methods (e.g. presentations and promotional materials).
- Sets and meets new-member and retention goals on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis.
- Lead or contribute to member and sponsor-retention and recruitment strategies, including promoting EEC educational programs and services and establishing and maintaining cooperative relationships/liaison functions with members to expand visibility of EEC’s educational efforts.
- Participate in creating and developing EEC program marketing and member/sponsor outreach materials.
- Identify, contact and market to non-member entities and organizations to recruit and expand EEC’s outreach base.
- Confer with members to answer questions and provide technical support; respond to information requests from utility and business constituencies.
- Market and represent EEC’s interests to external partners and stakeholders in areas related to expertise.
- Cooperate fully with the Executive Director to achieve budget goals, fulfill relevant membership initiatives, report impacts, and carry out all other items relevant to the operation.
- Develop professional collaborations with the Executive Director, Board Members, and other EEC core staff members.
- Serve as an effective team member and volunteer for leadership roles as appropriate.
- As requested, supervise civil service personnel under the direction and in consultation with the Executive Director.
- Perform other duties, including communications duties, that contribute to the mission of the Energy Education Council programming, as assigned.
- Assist with public-facing events and other duties as assigned.
- Comply with all University of Illinois Extension Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity policies and guidelines in all aspects of Extension work; assists Unit staff with data collection for Affirmative Action, Gender, and Targeted reports.
- Personal transportation required. Air and auto travel required.
- To perform the functions of this position, the employee will be required to perform work both within an office and outside in the communities that are served, and must have the capability to travel from one location to the other in a timely fashion. Employee is responsible for securing personal transportation. A valid driver’s license is preferred. Some work will be required during evenings and/or weekends. When working, the employee may be exposed to a variety of environmental factors to include, but not limited to, hot or cold weather, exposure to noise and allergens, and uneven ground. In performing the functions of this position, the employee may be subjected to various mental and physical demands as well to include, but not limited to, independently traveling to and performing work at different locations, lifting and moving items that may occasionally weigh up to forty (40) pounds and frequently weigh up to twenty (20) pounds, and twisting, pushing and pulling movements. More detailed information regarding the functions of this position (including the physical, mental and environmental requirements of the position) may be obtained from Human Resources for the College of Agricultural, Consumer and Environmental Sciences (ACES) by contacting [email protected].
The Extension Outreach Associate, Energy Education Council is administratively responsible to the Director, Energy Education Council.
- Required: B.A or B.S from an accredited institution of higher education in marketing, business, or a related field. Candidates with a Bachelor’s degree in progress may be considered for interviews, but degree must be completed by hire date. Experience in designing, creating and delivering educational and marketing presentations. Experience with editing images for use in presentations and on websites. Experience in Customer Relations Management (CRM) database management. Sales and recruitment experience. Three years sales and marketing experience. Marketing and member services experience as well as proven track record in member recruitment/retention. Experience using social/digital media to secure revenue.
- Preferred: Master’s degree in marketing, business, or a related field. Experience with association organizations and fundraising campaigns. Experience using InDesign, Illustrator & Photoshop. Experience with association organizations. Experience with fundraising campaigns.
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: (REQUIRED) Knowledge of or familiarity with electric utility/energy industry. Proficiency in computer skills including word processing, spreadsheet and account management software. Ability to work with a variety of windows-based software programs to create presentations. Developed writing style that results in effective acknowledgments (ads). Demonstrated excellent verbal and written communication skills, including public speaking, presentations, and webinars. Must be comfortable interacting with a variety of people, personalities and business models. Ability to work independently and be self-directed; and ability to work well in team settings. Excellent organizational and time-management skills. Ability to communicate persuasively to groups and individuals. Ability to organize, manage multiple assignments, and be self-directed in leading one’s self, staff and volunteers to actively solicit funds from businesses, nonprofits, foundations and other prospects. Attention to detail. Punctuality. (PREFERRED) Knowledge of utility industry across the U.S. and ability to identify decision makers and key prospects. Ability to operate broadcast equipment with an emphasis on digital audio production. Ability to apply basic concepts of algebra and work with spreadsheets and account for cash and trade according to GAP.
The position is a full-time, benefits-eligible, non-tenure, academic professional position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date on the Champaign-Urbana campus, with some travel to county offices across the Illinois Extension network. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. Generous vacation and sick leave. State Universities Retirement System. Group health, dental, vision and life insurance.
To apply, go to https://go.illinois.edu/123721. Log in to your account and upload a cover letter, resume, three writing samples, as well the names and contact information of three professional references. Resume dates must be in month/year format and employment history, at a minimum, should include all work dating back to the completion of your undergraduate degree. Positions that were less than full-time/100% must be noted as being part-time. Transcripts may be requested at a later date. To receive full consideration, all requested application materials must be submitted via the online system by the close date of November 19, 2019.
College Name or Administrative Unit:ACES - Extension Category:9-Off-Campus Title:Extension Outreach Associate, Energy Education Council - University of Illinois Extension (123721) Open Date:10/15/2019 Close Date:11/19/2019 Organization Name:Illinois Electric Council