Part-Time Library Assistant
Part-Time Library Assistant
About Westfield State University:
In 1839, Horace Mann founded Westfield State University as the first public higher education institution without barrier to race, gender or economic class. Westfield State University is committed to a policy of non-discrimination, equal opportunity, diversity and affirmative action. We are dedicated to providing educational, working and living environments that value the diverse backgrounds of all people including minorities, women, veterans, individuals with disabilities and other protected persons, or individuals with diverse cultural backgrounds.
Westfield State is the most residential of the state universities in Massachusetts, with over 60% of our 5600 full-time undergraduate students living on campus. The campus is ideally situated on the edge of the Berkshire Mountains in western Massachusetts just 30 minutes from the thriving cultural centers of Northampton and Amherst, and 1.5 hours from both Boston and Albany.
Campus Title: Part-Time Library Assistant
State Job Title: Library Assistant
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Job Type: Part-time Permanent
Timeframe: Calendar Year
Shift: 15 hours/week,Sunday-Monday from 4 p.m. to 12:00 a.m. during regular semester; flexible as needed during finals period. During breaks and summer, daytime hours as negotiated.
Regular Days Off: Tuesday- Saturday
Salary: $15.00 Per hour
Duties and Responsibilities:
Duties include but not limited to:
The Library at Westfield State University seeks application for a part-time Library Assistant. This position will assist the Library Assistant III with:
1. Evening/weekend supervision of operations at the circulation desk, including processing reserve items; supervising student workers; managing the service desk; charging and renewing items for patrons; circulating laptops; circulating interlibrary loans; maintaining and reporting statistics; and following Ely Library policies and procedures.
2. Monitoring the library.
3. Library Assistants will work with student assistants and campus security to clear and secure the library building at closing; reporting safety, security, or emergency situations to the Campus Police and/or the Westfield Police Department; and monitoring use of library spaces and group study rooms.
4. Other duties may be assigned by the Library Assistant III or the Library Director.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- The ability to work diligently and independently without direct supervision
- Help foster a welcoming and inclusive atmosphere respectful of diversity
- Work in a team environment
- Responsibly supervise university student employee
- Enjoy interacting with patrons and adapt to serve their needs in a calm, respectful, and courteous manner
- Produce detail-oriented work to meet deadlines
- Exercise judgment and leadership if/when responding to emergency situations
- Sit or stand for extended periods of time
- Lift up to 40 lbs., and push/pull library carts full of books
Preferred applicants for these positions will have any combination of the following:
- A bachelor's degree or coursework in library science
- Experience in the public service area of a library, preferably at a college or university
- Experience using automated library systems, preferably OCLC WorldShare Management;
- Knowledge of LC call number system; experience supervising student and/or part-time employees; experience in a busy office environment or customer service setting.
Westfield State University understands that persons with disabilities may need assistance with the job application process and/or with the interview process. For confidential assistance regarding disability accommodations, please contact the Office of Human Resources at (413) 572-8106.
Employment at Westfield State University is contingent upon a background check that is satisfactory to the University. Failure to provide written authorization for a background check will nullify the offer of employment.
An on-line application is required. Interested candidates should electronically attach the following documents:
- Cover Letter
- Contact information for three references *
* Provide the contact information for reference providers in the reference section of the online application.
Deadline: The job posting will be open a minimum of ten days and, if needed, will remain open until finalists have been selected. .
Deadline for application: Review of applications will begin October 24, 2019. The job posting will be open a minimum of ten days and will remain open until finalists have been selected.
NOTE: If you need assistance completing your application please contact our online Help Desk. The link to the help desk can be found at the top of the page via Contact Us.
Westfield State University provides equal access to employment opportunities for all applicants, regardless of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, age, disability or veteran status in compliance with all applicable laws, regulations and policies.
To apply, visit https://westfield.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=116997
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency