Support Professional, Head Cashier
***EXTERNAL POSTING- OPEN TO ANY QUALIFIED CANDIDATE***
Date: October 15, 2019
Position Title: Support Professional, Head Cashier
Position Number: 1018
Hours Per Week: 40 Hours/52 Weeks
Salary Schedule: APSS, Level A - $17.76/hour
Reports to: Director of Cashier’s Office
Posting closes: October 29, 2019
The GRCC Cashier’s Office is responsible for all College cash and the billing and collection of over $55 million in tuition and fees annually. The Head Cashier will serve as a member of the Cashier’s Office team, providing direction in departmental, corporate, and student account receivables while ensuring exceptional customer service. This position is responsible for receiving, processing, accounting for and safeguarding all cash, check and credit card transactions submitted to and maintained in the Cashier’s Office.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Receive all daily cashier registers, verify report totals, and reconcile cash/checks/credit cards reported.
- Prepare daily deposits and journal entries for all cashier registers.
- Prepare daily deposits for Armored Service pick-up.
- Scan checks to the bank.
- Assist students and staff in person and on the phone with all areas of student finance, providing exceptional customer service. Foster a friendly, supportive and welcoming environment for customers.
- Receive and post third party account receivable payments made in person, by phone and/or mail.
- Receive and verify cash/checks/credit cards from the public and other college departments/areas.
- Prepare journal entries and deposits received from the public and other college department/areas.
- Receive Raider Card cash from cashiers and Cash to Card machines.
- Safeguard all cash assets in the office and safe.
- Maintain cash and coin for office and college-wide needs and order when necessary.
- Maintain adequate cash of Head Cashier drawer for daily office use.
- Reconcile Head Cashier cash drawer and Safe cash on a weekly basis.
- Administer petty cash and reconcile as needed.
- Maintain NSF file and update spreadsheet as needed.
- Receive student parking fine payments from cashiers; make deposit and journal entries; perform audit.
- Receive and ensure that all pre-prepared deposit bags are logged accurately for pick-up.
- Receive and ensure that all deposits delivered by Campus Police are accurately logged.
- Along with the Cashier’s Office Director, audit all cashier drawers, petty cash, and Safe cash
on a monthly basis.
- Request refunds checks for miscellaneous payments as necessary.
- Prepare BankMobile Instant Refund checks for students as requested.
- Endorse student scholarship and private student loan checks as requested.
- Order and maintain supply of print materials and update when necessary.
- Serve as liaison and resource for questions and inquiries related to deposits and journal entries.
- Regular attendance during normal schedule hours is required. Being present is essential for serving customers and performing the essential functions of this position.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of the Cashier’s Office.
MARGINAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Project a professional image including punctuality, dependability and good attendance records.
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to multi-task, prioritize and complete tasks in a timely manner.
- Serve as part of the Cashier’s Office customer service team.
- Willingness and ability to learn the college-wide computer system.
- Demonstrated computer skills, Microsoft Office.
- Associate’s degree in accounting required.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- National Career Readiness Certificate (NCRC) preferred.
- Minimum of four years’ experience in accounting.
- Minimum of three years of customer service experience.
- Experience communicating and working effectively with diverse populations.
- Experience working with a general ledger and posting journal entries accurately.
- Prefer experience in PeopleSoft CWIS and Queries.
- In-Basket assignment may be required.
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality in accordance with FERPA and other legal requirements.
- Ability to communicate with the general public by phone, in person, electronically and through written correspondence.
- Evidence of strong skills in spreadsheets, preferably MS Office.
- Exceptional attention to details and resources.
- Strong ten-key calculation skills.
- Exceptional math skills.
- Ability to perform daily routine and unexpected duties with minimum supervision.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Ability to be a self-starter for problem solving.
- Must have excellent verbal, written and interpersonal and business communication skills.
- Able to work effectively with people of diverse backgrounds and linguistic abilities.
- Finalists will be required to complete an office testing module and meet minimum standards, plus possess excellent proofreading skills and have aptitude for detail work. An in-basket assignment may be required.
- Team player with a positive attitude and genuine desire to be helpful.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Enjoy working with the public.
- Willing to adapt to changing technologies and responsibilities.
- Proactively identify problems and use excellent judgment to assist in resolution.
- Able to prioritize and handle a constant and at times heavy workload and ensure that actions are completed accurately, effectively and within deadlines sometimes with minimal supervision.
- Ability to handle pressure situations in a professional manner.
- Possess mature judgment and be flexible in regards to interruptions and the ability to handle pressure situations.
- Ability to learn and react quickly, make decisions and execute them expeditiously.
- Work in an enclosed, locked secure space.
- Ability to work in a high traffic, indoor environment.
- Ability to work in busy office with frequent interruptions.
- Ability to work flexible hours as needed.
- Ability to lift and move up to 25 pounds.
- Ability to sit/stand for extended periods of time.
METHOD OF APPLICATION Grand Rapids Community College is only accepting online applications for this position at the GRCC webpage. The posting will remain open until October 29, 2019 at 11:59 PM ET. Please include your resume and cover letter in one document. Individuals with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Grand Rapids Community College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Grand Rapids Community College creates an inclusive learning and working environment that recognizes the value and dignity of each person. It is the policy and practice of GRCC to provide equal educational and employment opportunities regardless of age, race, color, religion, marital status, sex/gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, height, weight, national origin, disability, political affiliation, familial status, veteran status or genetics in all programs, activities, services, employment and advancement including admissions to, access to, treatment in, or compensation in employment as required by state and federal law. GRCC is committed to reviewing all aspects of GRCC programs, activities, services and employment, including recruitment, selection, retention and promotion to identify and eliminate barriers in order to prevent discrimination on the basis of the listed protected characteristics. The College will not tolerate any form of retaliation against any person for bringing charges of discrimination or participating in an investigation.