Assistant Professor of Spanish – Tenure Track Position
Date: October 14, 2019
Title: Assistant Professor of Spanish – Tenure Track Position
Position Number: 1022
Schedule: 32 Weeks (Fall and Winter Semesters)
Compensation: $57,691 (Master’s Degree), $62,991 (Ph.D.)
Start Date: Fall 2020
Reports to: Associate Dean, School of Arts & Science
Closing date: December 9, 2019
GRCC is seeking faculty who possess an interest in working with diverse student populations from a wide range of age, ethnicity, national origin and ability;engage in and develop innovative teaching strategies;effectively assess student learning outcomes;demonstrate a commitment to lifelong learning and professional development and provide service to our students, the college, and our community at large.
Faculty members are responsible to GRCC and to each other for the successful completion of departmental work, as well as associated with the School of Arts and Sciences and GRCC as a whole.In addition to the major position responsibilities, it is expected that faculty demonstrate outstanding communication skills, collaborate effectively, use personal initiative to overcome obstacles and work efficiently to meet deadlines.In an environment where innovation is valued, each faculty member will take responsibility to perform their work in a manner consistent with both the letter and the spirit of GRCC values.
- Teach GRCC course offerings in Spanish.
- Develop and implement teaching methods that employ interactive learning and integrate current instructional technology.
- Provide leadership and mentoring for adjunct Spanish faculty as needed or requested by the department.
- Participate fully as a member of the Language and Thought Department in activities such as department meetings, curriculum development and revision, assessment, committee membership, textbook selection, and other duties as expected of a tenure-track faculty member and/or as determined by the college.
- Assist the Department Head in the evaluation and revision of existing courses and the development of new courses.
- Advise students and perform other tasks normally expected of faculty members.
- Engage in professional development activities and maintain expertise in the field of Spanish.
- A Master’s degree in Spanish or a Master’s degree in a closely related field with 18 graduate credits in the teaching discipline required.
- Ph.D. in Spanish preferred
- A minimum of two years full-time teaching experience in Spanish at the college or university level; the equivalent part time or adjunct teaching time will be considered as having met the minimum.
- Community college teaching experience preferred.
- Experience working with non-traditional students from diverse background with varying academic skills preferred.
- Experience working with a variety of learning methodologies is preferred.
Equipment Use/Knowledge/Skills/Abilities required
- Ability and willingness to develop/teach online and hybrid classes.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Must be able to sit or stand for long periods of time.
- An understanding of and appreciation for the community college philosophy and student population.
- An interest in working with diverse student populations who represent a wide range of age, ethnicity, national origin and ability.
- A commitment to serve the Kent County community.
- Demonstrated initiative and organizational and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to perform routine and unexpected duties with minimum supervision.
- High energy level with enthusiasm and interest in helping and supporting students, staff and the general public.
- Ability to work under pressure while possessing mature judgment and flexibility in regards to interruptions and schedule changes.
- Must use good judgment in handling sensitive or difficult situations in a pleasant and professional manner.
- Ability to work in a high traffic, indoor office environment.
- Classroom environment in an academic setting.
- Faculty assignment may include travel to offsite locations.
Method of application
To apply for this position, please visit our website at www.grcc.edu/jobs Grand Rapids Community College is only accepting online applications for this position. Submit a cover letter, resume, unofficial transcripts, and three professional reference letters for full consideration. The opportunity to apply for this position will close on December 9, 2019. Individuals with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Grand Rapids Community College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Grand Rapids Community College is committed to a diverse and inclusive work and learning environment. GRCC creates an including learning and working environment that recognizes the value and dignity of each person. It is the policy and practice of GRCC to provide equal educational and employment opportunities regardless of age, race, color, religion, marital status, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, height, weight, national origin, disability, veteran status or genetics in all programs, activities, services, employment and advancement including admissions to, access to, treatment in, or compensation in employment as required by stated and federal law. Further information may be obtained from the EEO Office or the Office of General Counsel, 143 Bostwick Avenue NE, Grand Rapids, Mi 49503-3295.