Director of Benefits; Human Resources
Director of Benefits; Human Resources
Posting #: 1818
Position Status: Full-time regular
Location: San Diego
Position Type: Human Resources, Administrator
Position Title & Department:Director of Benefits; Human ResourcesPosting #
The role of the Human Resources is to attract, retain and support a quality workforce so that collectively we can provide an exceptional educational experience for our students.University Description:
The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.Detailed Description:
Reporting to the Chief Human Resources Officer (CHRO), the Director of Benefits is responsible for the administration and management of the university’s benefit programs, working in conjunction with the CHRO and outside consultants to make recommendations to management on the non-financial rewards provided to employees. Responsibilities include: administration of the university’s Health and Welfare Plans; administration of the university’s 403(b) Retirement Plan, 457(b) Executive Retirement, and Phased Retirement plans; administration of Tuition Remission and Tuition Exchange programs; and administration of the time off and Workers’ Compensation programs. Ensures legal compliance of all benefits programs, participates in benefits and insurance negotiations and renewals, ensures commitments made by outside providers; communicates plan features and changes to the campus community, manages day-to-day workflow/priorities of the benefits team and provides a broad-spectrum of management support in the area of benefits administration.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Benefit Programs Management:
- In conjunction with CHRO and benefits consultants, analyzes, evaluates and makes recommendations to management on current or proposed plan design changes, legislation affecting benefit plans, and best practices to ensure a comprehensive, cost effective benefits program for university employees. Chairs and/or serves on benefits policy/program development/evaluation committees as required. Serves as university fiduciary of retirement and benefit plans.
- Manages benefit consultant/insurance provider relationships and serves as liaison between consultants, insurance provider/vendors, university management and the university community; participates in the development of new programs, program changes, negotiations and renewal processes for all benefit programs. Manages Retirement Investment Committee.
- Oversees health and welfare plan administration and compliance, including insured programs (medical, dental, life, long-term disability, etc), section 125 plan, and wellness/education plans and programs. Includes managing enrollment, invoicing, record maintenance, vendor data feeds and communication; resolving employee issues and maintaining confidentiality of employee data and records. Ensures compliance with Section 125, HIPAA, COBRA, ACA and other regulations, including plan documents, summary plan descriptions, annual plan review and/or changes, non-discrimination testing and annual reporting and audits – Form 5500.
- Oversees retirement plan administration and compliance, including 403(b), 457(b) retirement and Phased Retirement plans. Includes managing enrollment, recording and payment of employee and university retirement contributions, non-discrimination testing, annual plan reviews and communications. Ensures compliance with ERISA, including annual reporting and audits – Form 5500, maintenance of plan documents and summary plan descriptions. Resolves employee issues and responds to employee pre-retirement and post- retirement questions. Authorized signer on withdrawals and loans.
- Establishes and audits internal controls and assures verification of data file feeds, benefit plan invoices and retirement plan contributions. Works closely with ITS/HRIS and Payroll to establish and maintain audit controls on all benefits related data.
- Oversees education program administration, including tuition remission and tuition exchange programs.
- Oversees workers’ compensation program including reporting, communication, leaves and return-to-work/modified duty programs. Works with broker to ensure optimum policy renewals. Manages financial aspects of program as well as working with insurer on claims management.
- Provides leadership and support to the Employee Relations team on administration of leave of absence programs in compliance with FMLA, CFRA and other related regulations.
- Oversees benefits education programs, including wellness programming, introduction of benefit program changes or vendor changes, on-campus retirement counseling and related employee programs.
- With CHRO, participates in the university’s development of a long-term plan for total rewards.
- Provides key leadership and input on the development and/or implementation of the HRIS.
- Manages business continuity program for benefits administration. Serves on Emergency Preparedness team.
- Develops, updates and conducts benefit orientations and/or benefits-related training workshops as needed. Provides train-the-trainer support to benefits staff. Assists Learning & Development team as needed with the development of course syllabus, outlines and course materials for subjects related to benefits.
- Hires, trains, supervises, schedules and evaluates employees.
- Collaborates with other HR directors on projects and process improvements.
- Develops written departmental procedures in all areas. Drafts benefits correspondence and publications; edits other department correspondence or publications as needed.
- Develops and updates benefits sections of the MySanDiego Portal and department web site, working to continually improve them as an effective resource for employees and supervisors.
- Represents HR as requested in professional organization and at meetings. Participates in various campus committees as needed.
BA/BS degree in Business Administration, Human Resources, Organizational Development or a related area. Master’s degree preferred. Minimum of seven years Human Resources management experience in the area of benefits. Thorough knowledge of state and federal regulations relating to benefits, ACA, workers’ compensation and leave of absence, and knowledge of record maintenance requirements. Excellent written and oral communication skills, strong customer service orientation.
Familiarity with large ERP/HRIS systems such as Oracle. Experience implementing or working with Workday. SPHR or CEBS certification.
Performance Expectations - Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
• Knowledge of state and federal benefits, ACA and workers’ compensation regulations and reporting requirements.
• Knowledge of total rewards strategies, programs and best practices.
• Knowledge of adult learning techniques, training needs assessment and program development.
• Excellent computer skills including Word, Excel, Power Point, HRIS.
• Knowledge of USD’s personnel policies & procedures, organization and benefits.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Business process analysis and change management
• Professional training platform skills.
• Highly organized and detail-oriented.
• Strong analytical skills.
• Strong time management skills.
• Independent judgment and decision making skills.
• Professional and friendly presentation and strong customer service orientation.
• Ability to develop and implement best practice benefits programs.
• Ability to analyze, research, trouble-shoot and resolve benefit issues
• Ability to develop and implement policy and procedure.
• Ability to develop customized training workshops to meet the needs of the organization.
• Ability to administer systematic processes to maintain integrity in personnel practices.
• Ability to prioritize, multi-task and meet process and project deadlines.
• Flexible and adaptable.
• Ability to deal in an effective and positive manner with a wide variety of people.
• Ability to handle confidential employment, health and payroll information with confidentiality and tact.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.Posting Salary:
Commensurate with experience; Excellent Benefits.
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a 12% retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
Click Apply Now to complete our online application. In addition, please upload a cover letter and resume to your application profile for the hiring managers’ review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at [email protected]Additional Details:
Hours: 37.5 hours per week; Monday - Friday, 8:30am - 5:00pm
Closing date: Open until filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.
Advertised: October 14, 2019 Pacific Daylight Time