Transactions and Records Processor (Executive Assistant I); Human Resources
Transactions and Records Processor (Executive Assistant I); Human Resources
Posting #: 1805
Position Status: Full-time regular
Location: San Diego
Position Type: Human Resources, Staff
Position Title & Department:Transactions and Records Processor (Executive Assistant I); Human ResourcesPosting #
The role of Human Resources is to attract, retain and support a quality workforce so that collectively we can provide an exceptional educational experience for our students.University Description:
The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.Detailed Description:
Primarily responsible for the processing and maintaining the accuracy of input and control of employment/new hire, salary changes, and benefit record entries made into the computerized Human Resource Information System (HRIS). Responsible for analyzing and distributing source documents to appropriate HR, and Payroll staff for entries and/or verifications. Uses judgment and knowledge of HRIS system to evaluate accuracy and validity of source documents and works with submitting department to clarify or correct as needed.
Responsible for document imaging of employees documents in the BDMS-Xtender System; performs filing and maintaining documents pertaining to employees benefit information and other related personnel records.
Serves as primary liaison with Payroll for HRIS records and employment/new hire processing inquiries. Performs a wide range of tasks in support of the Human Resources Department, including assisting with the front desk reception and answering telephones concerning HR inquires, and assisting in researching employment/paperwork related issues.
Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Organizes and controls record entries made to the computerized Human Resource Information System (HRIS), processing an estimated 70,000 to 80,000 source documents per year with accuracy and attention to detail. Uses judgment and knowledge to evaluate accuracy and validity of source documents and works directly with university managers, budget administrators, Payroll and HR colleagues to investigate and resolve various situations.
- Reviews data that is recorded on appropriate forms for completeness, authorizations, validity and reasonableness.
- Verifies account numbers, mathematical calculations, and authorized signatures.
- Investigates discrepancies; refers unusual situations to Transactions Supervisor.
- Performs timely, accurate direct employment and new hire data and record input to the HRIS and verifies completion of data transactions, from HR or other departments, on source documents.
2. Maintains internal controls relating to personnel records and ensures established controls are followed.
- Responds to internal and external audit requests
- Under supervision of Transactions Supervisor, assists with controls of position and department (organization) information in HRIS, making changes as needed.
- Verifies paperwork and entries performed by others.
3. Provides support and back-up to customer service assistant.
- Provides relief for customer service assistant for breaks, lunches, and vacation/sick coverage.
- Provides excellent customer service, responding to customer inquiries, directing telephone calls and visitors.
- Receives employee complaints, concerns, and inquiries and using judgment, resolves or refers them to the appropriate source for resolution.
- Provides support for new-hire processing, issuing ID numbers, verifying I-9 documentation, processing new hires through E-Verify, etc.
4. Serves as primary contact for records and certain HR inquiries.
- Researches, and resolves a variety of record problems.
- Assists in educating employees and supervisors on record requirements and HRIS entry processes.
- HR liaison with Payroll, responding to or referring payroll related inquiries as needed.
1. Performs daily scanning and indexing of employment documents into the BDMS-Xtender System. Also responsible for filing and maintain employees Benefit folder and other personnel records.
- Alphabetizes documents by employee name, then sorts by type of document and date.
- Scans and indexes documents related to Employee’s personal and assignment information.
- Responsible for creating and file storage of Benefit folders, which includes:
- - Creates benefit folder for all new hires that are benefit eligible.
- - Purges files once a year with the approval of the Director, Compensation and Benefits. - Prepares purged files for storage in on-campus vault or off-site storage facility.
- - Maintains of a log of stored documents and personnel files at off-site facility.
- - Under supervisor’s direction, retrieves files and returns them to off-site storage facility.
1. Performs a wide range of tasks in support of the Human Resources Department:
- Assists with development of written departmental procedure manuals.
- Assists as needed with recruitment and employment projects.
- Provides clerical support to other departments as needed, including Employment Services, Benefits, Employee Relations and Learning and Development.
- Other duties as assigned.
A. Education: Two year degree, comparable education and/or experience.
B. Experience: Two years complex data entry. Human Resources, computerized HR/Payroll Records and records management responsibilities preferred.
C. Substitution: One year experience in a related field for each year of education.
Performance Expectations - Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
A. Knowledge of:
• Working knowledge of computerized HRIS database systems, word processing, and spreadsheets
• Working knowledge of standard recordkeeping practices
• Working knowledge of the use of standard office equipment
• Knowledge of general HR/Benefits/Payroll policies and procedures as they relate to records, wages, and benefits
B. Skill in:
• Excellent data entry proficiency
• Excellent verbal and written English communications and interpersonal skills
• Effective organizational time and work flow management; must be detail-oriented
• Excellent telephone etiquette, ability to work effectively with multiple phone lines
• Accurate typing, data entry and proofreading skills
• Strong math skills; operation of 10-key by touch
C. Ability to:
• Acquire strong understanding of Oracle HRIS.
• Use judgment in evaluation of accuracy and validity of documentation submitted to HR for input to the HRIS.
• Punctually work in an ever-changing multi-tasking, multi-deadline environment
• Accurately assess a situation and respond with an appropriate organizational course of action
• Effectively handle confidential information with tact and discretion
• Relate effectively with a wide variety of people, both on the telephone and in person; learn and use operating practices of the HR department and the university.
• Courteously provide service in a prompt and efficient manner
• Effectively work as a team member with other HR/Benefit team members, other HR staff, students, faculty, and the public.
Tools & Equipment Used:
10 key Calculator
General office equipment
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.Posting Salary:
$18.16 - $20.00 per hour; Excellent Benefits.
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a 12% retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
Hours: 37.5 per week
Closing date: Open until filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.
Advertised: October 14, 2019 Pacific Daylight Time