Business Manager - SW District, UGA Extension
Posting DetailsPosting Details Posting NumberS04105PWorking TitleBusiness Manager - SW District, UGA ExtensionDepartmentCAES Southwest District CESAbout the University of Georgia
The University of Georgia (UGA), a land-grant and sea-grant university with statewide commitments and responsibilities is the state’s oldest, most comprehensive, and most diversified institution of higher education (http://www.uga.edu/). UGA is currently ranked among the top 20 public universities in U.S. News & World Report. The University’s main campus is located in Athens, approximately 65 miles northeast of Atlanta, with extended campuses in Atlanta, Griffin, Gwinnett, and Tifton. UGA was founded in 1785 by the Georgia General Assembly as the first state-chartered University in the country. UGA employs approximately 1,800 full-time instructional faculty and more than 7,600 full-time staff. The University’s enrollment exceeds 36,000 students including over 27,500 undergraduates and over 8,500 graduate and professional students. Academic programs reside in 17 schools and colleges, as well as a medical partnership with Augusta University housed on the UGA Health Sciences Campus in Athens.About the College/Unit/DepartmentCollege/Unit/Department websitePosting TypeExternalRetirement PlanTRS or ORPEmployment TypeEmployeeBenefits EligibilityBenefits EligibleFull/Part timeFull TimeWork ScheduleAdditional Schedule Information
Standard Hours of 8 am-5 pm Monday – Friday- unless otherwise assigned and approved by District DirectorAdvertised Salary$45,000Posting Date10/14/2019Open until filledYesClosing DateProposed Starting Date12/02/2019Special Instructions to ApplicantsLocation of VacancySW District EEO Policy Statement
The University of Georgia is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, genetic information, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or protected veteran status.Position Information Classification TitleBusiness Operations ProfessionalPay GradeFLSAJob FamilyBusiness And FinanceFTE1.00Minimum QualificationsPreferred Qualifications
Skilled Accounting knowledge
Proficiency will all MicroSoft Suite applications
Proficient with Quickbooks
Effective communication skills
Excellent organizational skills
This position is based in the Southwest District Extension Office in Tifton, GA. It is responsible for the fiscal management of the Southwest District’s operations including budget planning for both UGA and County funds, accounting, and human resources administration and oversight. The Business Manager functions with a high degree of autonomy requiring independent judgment and is highly competent and skilled in the understanding of fiscal and administrative requirements for the ongoing effective County Extension operations. This position serves as the sole fiscal resource in the SW District for County Extension Coordinators, the Associate Dean of Extension, and the CAES Business Office.Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and/or Competencies
- Excel skills and general accounting knowledge
- Proficiency in all Microsoft Suite applications including Outlook
- Proficiency in QuickBooks
- Current knowledge of UGA business practices; or, the ability to learn UGA policies and procedures and financial systems while at the same time learning and understanding business process development to support the transition to new financial systems
- Develop and manage numerous and complex budgets and strategic planning with the District Director or other Extension leadership
- Effectively communicate in person, telephone, and email to a wide constituency group and work in a team environment
- Strong organizational and troubleshooting skills; work independently and able to adapt to change
- Communicate effectively via telephone, email, and in person to varied stakeholders
- Utilize computer technology for all applications in a manner that meets performance expectations
- Remember, organize, and consistently focus on a large amount of detail and come to appropriate conclusions
- This position will spend long periods of time working at a computer.
- Lift and carry up to 15 pounds, both assisted and unassisted.
Be advised a credit check will be required for all positions with financial responsibilities. For additional information about the credit check criteria, visit the UGA Credit Background Check website.Duties/Responsibilities Duties/Responsibilities
Business and Finance:
1. Serves as the primary person responsible for management and oversight of all financial activities of the Extension District including, but not limited to, assisting in the development of budgets, preparation of Pending Awards, position management, and purchasing approvals and support (including p-card). Develops monthly and annual statements of funds and reviews accounts.
2. Manages county contracts for 41 counties (including Boards of Education and Boards of Commissions). Ensures county Memoranda of Understanding (MOU) are up to date, facilitates resolution of county budget issues, activates county salary increases through UGA payroll systems, reviews monthly county financial reports and QuickBooks summaries to ensure compliance with county operations fund policies. Resolves issues as necessary with general consultation with District Extension Director.
3. Reviews status reports and monthly reconciliation reports and prepares budget amendments to transfer funds between accounts as needed, may support tax filing issues as necessary.
4. Ensures accurate allocation and accounting of contracts and grants. Reviews and tracks expenditures for all Federal and State accounts.
5. Supports and provides oversight for compliance with all UGA accounting processes including fiduciary best-practices in county operations accounts and cash management.
6. Provides first level approvals for travel expense statements and check requests for all District employees, both UGA and county paid employees.
7. Effectively utilizes emerging technology to support District efficiencies.
8. Represents the District Office through the preparation of reports and/or attendance at UGA or county meetings as necessary.
9. Other responsibilities within the purpose and scope of this role.
Human Resource Administration:
1. Process personnel actions for all District employees to hire, adjust accounts, or separate in the budget systems in an accurate and timely manner. This includes UGA Public Service Faculty, staff, county-shared funded employees, grant-funded employees, and other temporary or part-time employees.
2. Oversees and approves time records, leave requests, FMLA, LWOP, etc. ensuring payroll is accurate including the processing of personnel actions for inactive employees, running payroll (Kronos) reports, and providing guidance and training to supervisors and employees.
1. Prepares regular and ad hoc reports for the District Director, County Operations Director, Associate Dean for Extension, and/or CAES Business Office.
2. Develops, improves, and documents workflows and processes related to the duties of this position especially in support of new technology implementation.
3. May supervise District Office Administrative Assistant/Associate including hiring, time management, and performance assessments.
4. Manages daily operations and resources of the District Office including purchasing and controlling office supplies, software licenses, etc.
5. Develops and maintains a positive professional relationship with internal and external stakeholders including UGA staff and faculty, county and Board of Education finance representatives, and other officials.
6. Demonstrates competency in financial affairs and understanding of the strategic role Extension holds in county operations and availability of funding sources.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Public Job Posting
- Internal Job Posting
- Agency Referral
- Personal Referral
- * How many years of experience do you have in this type of position?
- Cover Letter
- List of References with Contact Information
- Unofficial Transcripts
- Unofficial Letters of Recommendation