Director of Communications - School of Foreign Service
Director of Communications - School of Foreign Service
Located in a historic neighborhood in the nation's capital, Georgetown offers rigorous academic programs, a global perspective, exciting ways to take advantage of Washington, D.C., and a commitment to social justice. Our community is a tight knit group of remarkable individuals interested in intellectual inquiry and making a difference in the world.
The Director of Communications has overall responsibility and oversight of the School of Foreign Service's (SFS) communications and publications in print, online and in other media. S/he coordinates with University counterparts to develop products and messages consistent with the University's global communications goals and resources. The incumbent provides strategic leadership for units within the School on all matters relating to communications, with the aim of ensuring consistency and efficiency in the development of all communications products. In addition, the Director of Communications has primary responsibility for technical management of the School's main website and provides technical oversight and assistance to the School's units for the development and management of their individual websites. Reporting directly to the Executive Director of the Centennial and supervising a full-time Editorial Manager, Multimedia Producer and Assistant Director of Digital Engagement, the Director of Communications has additional duties that include but are not limited to:
Communications and Marketing: Strategic Planning and Project Management
- Continually evaluates existing communications materials and advises on changes necessary to advance School goals.
- Develops tools and methods to gather information about the effectiveness of School's communications and marketing efforts.
- Provides leadership to implement School-wide goals at departmental level.
- Coordinates with the Office of Communications, Office of Advancement and university Information Services to ensure the effectiveness of the School's communications efforts.
- Efficiently manages relationships with external vendors employed to further School goals.
- Oversees production of the SFS Magazine (print) and uses content in other media (web, email, etc).
- Oversees production of content for electronic newsletters (such as SFS Week in Preview and SFS News).
- Manages production of new and revised School publications (print).
- Provides leadership for development and production of departmental print publications with view toward consistency of message and maximum efficiency.
- Works with Office of Communications and Office of Advancement to ensure coverage of SFS news and events at the University level.
- Manages development of SFS content online (web content, social media, new web storytelling platforms).
- Oversees production of multimedia content, such as photography, video or audio.
- Develops and maintains the main SFS website.
- Provides leadership and support for development and maintenance of departmental sites that promote common School goals.
- Manages existing School web applications, and creates or identifies sources for new applications as necessary, promoting the development of common University solutions as appropriate.
- Manages development of common e-mail communication strategies within the School.
- Provides assistance and leadership in relations with technology vendors for specialized services.
- Provides support and assistance to School and departments for graphic design and multimedia development, both internally and in relations with external vendors.
University Representation and Leadership
- Represents the School within the University's social media working group.
- Represents the School within the University's visual identity working group (web oversight) or any successor organizations.
- Works in close collaboration with the Office of Communications to ensure consistency of SFS activity with University goals and resources.
Requirements and Qualifications
- Bachelor's Degree in public relations, communications, digital media, journalism, liberal arts, or other technical field; Master's Degree preferred
- A minimum of 5 years' experience demonstrating progressively greater responsibility in communications, marketing, and/or digital media
- Demonstrated practical experience developing complex websites for production
- Experience producing or managing production of content such as print media products, including long form print production, web content, and multimedia
- Experience with both social media strategy and campaign execution and a broad and up-to-date understanding of digital media strategies, including video production, mixed media storytelling, website design and content, and strategizing for multiple audiences
- Experience with media relations, including promotional strategy, writing press releases, and coordinating with press for both interviews and events
- Strong writing and editing skills and experience in conceiving and drafting communications strategies
- High proficiency in Wordpress and content management systems, social media platforms and enterprise software, Adobe Creative Suite, video editing software, media relations software (Meltwater) and email marketing software, such as MailChimp or other comparable services
- Skills in photography and videography preferred. Ability to keep up with new technologies and digital media best practices, and willingness to learn and adapt to new technologies to stay relevant in the field
- Exceptional interpersonal skills to balance competing demands from different constituencies both within and outside the University
- Ability to translate complex technical issues relating to communications goals for comprehension and action by university leadership is valuable
Current Georgetown Employees:
If you currently work at Georgetown University, please exit this website and login to GMS (gms.georgetown.edu) using your Net ID and password. Then select the Career worklet on your GMS Home dashboard to view Jobs at Georgetown.
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any position at Georgetown University you must submit a cover letter and resume for each position of interest for which you believe you are qualified. These documents are not kept on file for future positions.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please click here for more information, or contact the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity, and Affirmative Action (IDEAA) at 202-687-4798 or [email protected].
Need some assistance with the application process? Please call 202-687-2500. For more information about the suite of benefits, professional development and community involvement opportunities that make up Georgetown's commitment to its employees, please visit the Georgetown Works website.
Georgetown University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, and sexual orientation), disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Georgetown University offers a wide variety of comprehensive and competitive benefits. Benefits packages include comprehensive health, dental and vision plans, disability and life insurance coverage, retirement savings programs, tuition assistance, voluntary insurance options (including group legal, accident, and critical illness), and much more. Whatever your need, the Office of Faculty and Staff Benefits will be standing by to support you. You can learn more about the benefits offered to eligible faculty and staff at https://benefits.georgetown.edu or view the online interactive benefits guide for more information.
To apply, visit https://georgetown.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Georgetown_Admin_Careers/job/Main-Campus/Director-of-Communications---School-of-Foreign-Service_JR07786
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency