Associate Director of Annual Giving and Alumni Relations
California Institute of Integral Studies (CIIS) in San Francisco is a pioneer in integrative higher education, providing interdisciplinary, cross-cultural, and applied studies in psychology, philosophy, religion, cultural anthropology, transformative studies and leadership, integrative health, and the arts. The school offers masters and doctoral degrees, as well as a Bachelor of Arts completion degree. We are conveniently located in the SoMa district, which is a quick walk from BART, Muni, and other public transportation.
The Associate Director of Annual Giving and Alumni Relations will oversee all aspects of both the Annual Giving and Alumni Relations programs at California Institute of Integral Studies (CIIS). If you want to bring your best work as an advancement professional to revamp our alumni relations and annual fund, consider joining our team and helping build these programs from the ground up.
The CIIS Office of Institutional Advancement has increased fundraising by major donors, institutional funders, and individual givers by 36% over the last year, and we are now ready to focus on our annual fund and alumni relations to build a sustainable program that will engage current students, re-engage alumni, and build an alumni community. The Institutional Advancement team includes Development, Alumni Relations, Public Programs, and The Arts at CIIS. By demonstrating what it means to give back and inspiring others to do the same, this team aspires to reach its overarching vision of becoming a leading philanthropic institution that attracts transformational support locally and beyond.
About the Position
CIIS seeks an experienced, highly motivated professional to join a growing team as the Associate Director of Annual Giving and Alumni Relations. Reporting to the Vice President of Institutional Advancement, the Associate Director will have fundamental responsibility and accountability for developing, refining, and driving annual giving across a wide-ranging donor pool. This highly motivated self-starter is engaging, resilient, and resourceful, with the ability to work independently, as well as part of a team. They will be responsible for bringing in new donors and dollars, cultivating existing relationships, propelling moves management, and increasing revenue streams. The Associate Director, along with the Manager of Alumni Relations, will develop a solid foundation for annual giving and alumni relations moving forward.
- Create and oversee a comprehensive fundraising plan and appeal schedule for donor solicitation series, alumni solicitation series, and department-special annual solicitations (print and digital).
- Conduct proactive research (data mining, modeling, surveys, focus groups, benchmarking) and analysis of segment and marketing channel performance. Translate key findings into strategic and actionable recommendations. Communicate recommended strategies to the Vice President of Institutional Advancement and other constituencies through meetings, reports, and presentations.
- Stay current with CIIS curricula and classroom activities in order to be an articulate spokesperson for the university.
- Prepare annual fund progress reports and updates.
- Maintain a portfolio of prospects and track donor performance.
- Launch and run an Annual Giving Society, among other work in stewarding donors.
- Work with key internal and cross-departmental partners to enhance engagement, solicitation, and stewardship efforts.
- Manage annual fund and explore new strategies to maximize dollars and donors.
- Plan and lead cultivation and fundraising events.
- Create opportunities to connect alumni and parents of alumni with each other and to engage them in the life of the school.
- Provide support and leadership for the Alumni Council, which serves to involve alumni in outreach, event planning, and fundraising efforts.
- Create opportunities to introduce current students to the role of our alumni community in the life of the school and in their own lives post-graduation.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- A bachelor's degree and 5-7 years of work experience, including a minimum of 5 years of experience in development or alumni relations, with demonstrated success in leading and growing an annual giving program, preferably in a complex institution of higher education.
- Hands-on experience managing all facets of a large annual fund with a complex, multi-channeled marketing program, with expertise in innovative digital marketing, ideally in higher education.
- Outstanding written, oral, and presentation skills, as well as the ability to work with and motivate colleagues and volunteers.
- Excellent ability to set priorities, plan long-term, manage multiple projects simultaneously, and perform in a fast-paced environment to meet deadlines.
- Detail-oriented with excellent analytical thinking skills and the ability to assess situations and react appropriately.
- Skilled at relationship cultivation and management, collaborating with colleagues across campuses, and encouraging and facilitating open communication.
- Professionalism in interacting with all levels of staff, management, donors, and external contacts.
- Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends, as required.
- Solid working knowledge of fundraising databases, preferably Raiser's Edge.
- Highly skilled at MS Office Suite.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY POLICY
CIIS is committed to providing an open, fair, inclusive, non-discriminatory environment for all individuals across differences of race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, socio-economic status, ethnicity, age, physical ability, or medical condition. We seek to increase the presence, representation and inclusion of U.S. historically under-represented people of color, international, bilingual and bicultural students, faculty and staff; and, to provide an environment that will attract and retain individuals identified as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, questioning and intersex (LGBTQQI).
Screening begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Using the Apply Now link, please submit a Resume and Cover Letter online or send to Susan Yun, HR Generalist/Recruiter at [email protected]iis.edu