Part-time Faculty Sociology Instructor
Job location: Maryland - Montgomery County - Germantown Campus
Employment Type: Part-time
Posted data: 2020-01-02
Montgomery College is Maryland’s premier community college, serving more than 60,000 students each year through credit and noncredit programs. Montgomery College is one of Maryland’s most diverse community colleges, which includes more than 164 nations represented in our student body. Do you want to join us in our mission of providing an exceptional education and fostering student success? We are dedicated to providing an exceptional education for all of our students, and we recognize that our faculty and staff are integral to our continued success.Job TitlePart-time Faculty Sociology InstructorJob Description SummaryThe Montgomery College Department of Sociology, Anthropology and Criminal Justice and Department of Education and Social Sciences are currently accepting applications for possible openings as a part-time faculty member teaching courses in sociology. We are seeking an enthusiastic and dedicated teacher who exhibits a high degree or professionalism, a strong commitment to our students, and demonstrates the ability to motivate and educate in an engaging manner. The successful candidate will be committed to teaching in a multi-cultural, two-year environment, and welcome the opportunity to work with students with diverse learning abilities. Montgomery College provides an excellent opportunity to teach in a large, urban community college setting.
Montgomery College is Maryland's premier community college and is a public, fully accredited, open admission institution. Led by President DeRionne P. Pollard, Ph.D., Montgomery College is dedicated to student success and widely recognized for the quality and scope of its academic programs. Do you want to join us in our mission of providing an exceptional education and fostering student success? The faculty and staff of MC are integral to our continued excellence. We are looking for dedicated professionals for opportunities throughout the College.Job Description
***Montgomery College accepts applications for Adjunct/Part-time Faculty on a continuous basis. Applications may be reviewed periodically based on the student enrollment needs. ***
- The listing of a course in the schedule of classes as “TBA” does not constitute an assignment.
- The hiring decision for part-time faculty involves an academic judgment and shall be determined at Management’s sole discretion.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Teach assigned courses related to sociology.
- Teach a varied schedule of courses that may include day, night, weekend, online, and/or accelerated sections. Opportunities may exist for teaching summer and winter classes.
- Teach at the Rockville, Takoma Park/Silver Spring or Germantown campus, depending on need. Please indicate in your cover letter which campus you prefer.
- Teach at the local high schools as part of the Dual Enrollment Program, depending on need.
- Apply culturally relevant and empathetic pedagogies to the teaching and learning process.
- Engage students in their learning through active collaborative learning approaches.
- Incorporate the use of educational enterprise platform such as Blackboard into instruction, including zero-cost resources in the development and delivery of instruction.
- Master’s degree in sociology or a closely related discipline.
- Recent teaching experience at the post-secondary level (e.g., associates, bachelors, or masters-level teaching); teaching done as a graduate student or as a teaching assistant will be considered.
- Demonstrated commitment to student success including increasing retention, transfer, and graduation.
- Ability to effectively engage with and facilitate learning for students of diverse backgrounds, cultures, and experiences.
- Ability to integrate technology into course delivery.
- Ability to teach in a multicultural setting.
- Eligible applicants must currently be authorized to work in the United States and not require employer visa sponsorship.
- Ph.D. in sociology or a closely related discipline.
- Teaching experience at the post-secondary level (e.g., undergraduate or master’s level).
- Experience teaching a variety of courses in sociology.
- Evidence of a commitment to supporting or enhancing student success initiatives that further student retention and graduation.
- Evidence of innovative curriculum development to serve diverse student populations.
- Demonstrated experience using various teaching modalities/formats (e.g., seat-based, blended/hybrid, OER, and online).
- Experience using teaching technologies (e.g. Blackboard, Canvas).
- Evidence of ongoing professional development.
- A willingness and/or experience teaching distance education courses.
- Experience with committee, advisory groups, volunteer experience or integrated services.
- Apply online at http://www.montgomerycollege.edu/employment.
- For consideration, you must:
Include dates of employment in your application or attachment;
Submit a cover letter along with an un-official copy of your transcripts from your highest degree earned.
As a condition of employment, the following are required at the time of hire:
- Successful completion of a background check.