Lead Academic Advisor
Position: Lead Academic Advisor Location: Wheaton, IL
Job Id: 439 # of Openings: 1 Wheaton College - Academic Advising CenterLead Academic Advisor SummaryReporting to the Dean of Curriculum and Advising, with dotted line reporting to the Registrar’s Office, the lead Academic Advisor serves as lead Academic Advisor and works to assist the college in meeting its enrollment and retention goals by providing academic advising services to prospective students, enrolled students and faculty advisors throughout the student progression from pre-admission to graduation.Responsibilities & Duties
- Model the Statement of Faith and Community Covenant with colleagues, faculty, staff, students, and appropriate external constituencies.
- Exhibit a welcoming demeanor, function as a team player who is able to work independently while providing excellent customer service to the student population and as well as visitors.
- Utilize the college SIS system (Banner) and various other college software programs (e.g. Degree Works) to advise students regarding graduation progression, general education program requirements, and transfer credit options with particular emphasis on Christ at the Core general education requirement options.
- In collaboration with the Dean of Curriculum and Advising and the Registrar’s Office evaluate transfer credit and assist prospective students with academic questions.
- Make professional judgments and assessments based on experience, policy and procedure for students and faculty regarding academic policy and advocacy issues.
- Intervene and refer students to resources throughout the college community as needed, especially the Counseling Center and Academic and Disability Services.
- Collaborate with faculty major advisors to provide a full picture plan for student success and degree completion.
- Collaborate with the Admissions Office to communicate the college’s mission and programs effectively via the phone, e-mail and in person with campus visitors and prospective students.
- Assist in developing policies and plans of service for start-up of Advising Center including developing a team approach for advising new and continuing students.
- Make effective use of scheduling software, as well as time and caseload management techniques.
- In collaboration with the Admissions, Student Care, and Academic and Disability Service Offices, this position will assist in tracking and providing added attention and advising for first generation college students, undeclared students, students receiving ADA accommodations and students on Academic Warning or Probation.
- Collaborate with the Registrar’s Office on the freshman advising and registration process.
- Serve as a liaison between students and academic departments.
- Provide information, reports and studies as requested by the dean.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Minimum two years’ experience in higher education in an Advising Services Office, Registrar’s Office, Enrollment Management or Student Development employment setting.
- Ability to lead a team.
- High capacity with management of details, team oriented, strong interpersonal, communication skills (written and verbal), and the ability to manage multiple tasks efficiently.
- Ability to manage numerous details in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong experience with word processing, e-mail and internet applications, Microsoft Office Suite, data-entry and database functions. Experience with Banner Student Information System and Degree Works software is a plus.