#102043 Eating Disorders Brain Imaging Research Associate
UCSD Layoff from Career Appointment: Apply by 10/15/2019 for consideration with preference for rehire. All layoff applicants should contact their Employment Advisor.
Special Selection Applicants: Apply by 10/24/2019. Eligible Special Selection clients should contact their Disability Counselor for assistance.DESCRIPTION
The UCSD Department of Psychiatry is one of the most innovative and productive academic departments in the country, offering challenging career opportunities in the diverse areas of advanced educational programs, cutting-edge research, and state-of-the-art clinical services.
The department is committed to offering a dynamic learning environment and growing opportunities to its talented and dedicated employees.
Under supervision, the Research Associate will assist faculty in conducting and analyzing MRI brain scans for NIMH funded studies on the neurobiology of eating disorders in the UCSD Department of Psychiatry, Rady Children's Hospital San Diego, and the Rady Sharp MRI Center. The Research Associate will be responsible for screening, data acquisition at MRI facilities, data transfer, database entry and maintenance, and MRI image review and processing.
Types of MRI data will include functional, structural, diffusion-weighted, and perfusion images. The Research Associate will also assist with conducting MRI data processing and analysis relying on different software. The Research Associate will also be part of the scientific process including data analysis and publication.MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Theoretical knowledge of Psychology, Neuroscience, Cognitive Science or a related field.
Theoretical knowledge of neuroanatomy/neuroanatomy background.
Proven knowledge of the scientific and research method and experience with human subject research.
Strong computer skills including demonstrated expertise with a variety of computer operating systems.
Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, and conscientiousness.
Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and accurately.
- Experience with structural, functional, diffusion, and perfusion brain MRI research.
- Demonstrated experience acquiring, reviewing, and processing MR brain images.
- Experience in providing instructions and using anxiety reduction and discomfort reduction techniques to research participants while in scanning environment.
- Demonstrated ability to locate neuroanatomic structures for image analysis.
- Experience with Matlab. Experience with developing shell scripts and adapting to new processing requirements in Matlab.
- Demonstrated knowledge of secure data transfer protocols.
- Knowledge of the functional significance of neuroanatomical structures and circuitry.
- Must be flexible and willing to work early mornings.
- Must have access to reliable transportation.
- Must be able to work in several locations (e.g. Main Campus, UTC UCSD at Chancellor Park, Rady Children's Hospital and Sharp & Children's MRI Center) including driving to scanner locations.
- Employment is subject to a criminal background check and pre-employment physical.
- Must meet criteria for eligibility to participate in MRI scanning on high field strength magnets, as determined by the MR facility safety and operator training requirements.