Senior Systems Administrator - Tufts Technology Services
DescriptionViewing technology in the context of work, scholarship and campus life, TTS is a university-wide service organization committed to delivering technology services that support Tufts’ mission of teaching, learning, research, and service. Understanding that IT enables innovation, TTS prioritizes holistic, human-centered design strategies to create timely and intuitive services, applications and tools that differentiate the Tufts experience.
Across our diverse and creative teams, we engage and focus our collective talent to strengthen Tufts’ strategic IT capabilities. To keep pace with our community’s emerging needs, we continue to evolve our competencies across four main families of practice, including Planning and Design, Service Delivery and Operations, Data Strategy, and Academic Technology.
Thinking and acting strategically with technology occurs through strong partnerships and an engaged community. Additionally, for technologies to take on integral meaning to our work, we also need reliable and consistent support in using them. With staff across all of Tufts’ campuses, as well as a 24x7 IT Service Desk, we collaborate with schools and divisions to meet the demands of a global, mobile community and to enable the broadest possible access.
Come join our collaborative, flexible work environment, where leadership is valued at all levels of the organization, and opportunities abound to work with leading technologies and learn new skills.
The Senior Systems Administrator will provide systems support for Windows and Linux based environments running in a centralized virtual environment with a configured Cisco UCS / VMware base running approx. 1,000 servers and growing. This position will develop plans for the evolution of Enterprise wide services, such as authentication, collaboration services (including Cisco Jabber, video conferencing, etc.) and desktop virtualization and look to evolving technologies to increase the services provided to improve the enterprise based services. The successful candidate will also manage technical projects by providing technical plans and working cross functionally to create scalable service solutions, identify creative solutions that fit into the larger enterprise IT framework, and provide baseline performance reporting to measure service levels and identify areas for improvement. Additional duties include processing technical support tickets, generating/updating team documentation as required, and performing service checks for the deployed enterprise environment. Participate in off hours on call rotation.
- The knowledge and skills typically acquired through a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field and 5+ years of progressive Systems Administration in a complex, heterogeneous environment.
- Extensive knowledge of Windows and Linux systems administration and TCP/IP networking.
- Extensive knowledge of several of the following services: AD, LDAP, VDI, ADFS.
- Extensive knowledge of Microsoft Exchange and Office 365.
- Demonstrated success in planning and supporting an enterprise virtual infrastructure with experience implementing server and service solutions and introducing new technology to improve service offerings.
- Experience managing virtualization with VMware.
- Demonstrated ability to work with scripting languages including Powershell to efficiently manage the operation and maintenance of services.
- Assess new technology directions and define/document planned approach for proof of concept exercises and plans for implementation within the infrastructure environment.
- Document plans for technical projects to outline steps for implementation and validation testing as it pertains to the technical activity required from the systems teams.
- Develops, documents, and promotes standard operating procedures.
- Experience supporting enterprise services in an academic environment.
- Experience in systems evolution and change in a service based environment.
- Working knowledge of Cisco UCS knowledge of Cisco, F5 Load Balancers, and Juniper / Cisco firewalls.
Special Work Schedule Requirements:
Occasional evening or weekend work, as well as the ability to participate in a 24x7 on call rotation for major incident support activities.
An employee in this position must complete all appropriate background checks at the time of hire, promotion, or transfer.
Equal Opportunity Employer – minority/females/veterans/disability/sexual orientation/gender identity.
Primary Location: United States-Massachusetts-Medford/Somerville
Job: IT (Information Technology)
Organization: Tufts Technology Services
Employee Status: Regular
Job Posting: Oct 11, 2019, 1:36:23 PM