Dean of Behavioral and Social Sciences
Posting DetailsPosition Information Job Posting TitleDean of Behavioral and Social SciencesLocationLos Rios Community College District (Sacramento City College)Department LocationBehavioral and Social SciencesPosting NumberAE00277PThe Institution
Founded in 1916, Sacramento City College (SCC) is a multi-campus, urban college that consists of a 70-acre main campus across from William Land Park. The college has two educational centers,one in Davis on the campus of the University of California, Davis, and one in West Sacramento located adjacent to the public library, community center and civic center. SCC is a vibrant teaching and learning institution with approximately 20,000 day and evening students and is recognized as both a Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI) and Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander-Serving Institution (AANAPISI).
SCC has a rich history in the community and has expanded educational opportunities to students across the region. SCC awards Associate in Arts or Science degrees as well as Associate Degrees for Transfer, which guarantee transfer into the California State University system. The college offers Career Education certificates and degrees, transfer credit for students who desire to continue their education at a four-year college or university, and instruction in basic skills such as English, English as a second language, and mathematics.
Faculty and staff at SCC value a collaborative and diverse campus community. As one of four colleges within the Los Rios Community College District, Sacramento City College embraces change, values excellence in academic achievement, and supports the success of students as they pursue their dreams.
Under the general direction of the Vice President of Instruction and the Associate Vice President of Instruction, the Dean of Behavioral and Social Sciences is responsible for the administration and supervision of the instructional area, including teaching assignments, staff evaluation and development, curriculum, budget, advisory committees, and the administration of day, evening, off campus, and summer offerings.
The Dean of Behavioral and Social Sciences provides general supervision of the affairs of the area, and works with college and district staff in the specified areas of responsibilities.
The disciplines supervised by the Dean of Behavioral and Social Sciences include: Administration of Justice, Anthropology, Early Childhood Education, Ethnic Studies, Family and Consumer Science, Geography, Geographic Information Systems, Gerontology, History, International Studies, Political Science, Psychology, Service Learning, Sociology, Social Science, and Women’s Studies. Classes in these disciplines are offered on the main campus in Sacramento, at the Davis Center, and the West Sacramento Center.
The Dean of Behavioral and Social Sciences supervises the college’s Child Development Center in its functions as a learning laboratory for the Early Childhood Education (ECE) Program and as a support service for student parents.
The Department maintains a focus on:
● Providing education for academic and vocational disciplines.
● Embracing an overarching philosophy of innovation and collegiality.
● Refining and developing programs, courses, and delivery methodologies to be responsive to the needs of students.
Typical duties may include, but are not limited to:
● Providing leadership for the Behavioral and Social Sciences Division in program development, program review, faculty and student recruitment, and evaluation.
● Providing leadership and facilitation in the development of partnerships with transfer institutions, the local community, business and industry, and feeder high schools.
● Promoting student success and improved student learning outcomes.
● Providing administration and supervision to the area, including evaluation, scheduling, budgeting, curriculum development, facilities utilization, and staff development.
● Providing leadership for the integration of general education and career courses and programs.
● Providing leadership and assisting faculty in the development and administration of grants.
● Providing leadership in the development, delivery, and fiscal stability of Child Development Center services.
● Facilitating communication between the Behavioral and Social Sciences Division and the college at large.
● Preparing and assisting in reports as necessary.
● Serving on or chairing college governance committees.
● Performing other duties as assigned.
The administrative assignment may include day, evening, weekend, and/or off-campus work and/or hours.Work Year12 monthWork ScheduleTotal Hrs per Week/DaySpecial RequirementsMinimum Qualifications
1. Have a master’s degree* from an accredited institution completed by January 1, 2020.
2. Have one year of formal training, internship, or leadership experience reasonably related to the administrator’s administrative assignment.
3. Have an equity-minded focus, responsiveness, and sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, including those with physical or learning disabilities as it relates to differences in learning styles; and successfully foster and support an inclusive educational and employment environment.
● Applicant must meet the minimum qualifications of a faculty discipline at the college.
● To review the minimum qualifications for faculty disciplines, refer to Minimum Qualifications for Faculty and Administrators’ in California Community Colleges which can be found on our website at https://jobs.losrios.edu/; select “Los Rios Jobs”, then “Minimum Qualifications for Faculty and Administrators”.Application Instructions
Applicants applying to this position are REQUIRED to complete fully and submit:
1. Los Rios Community College District Administrative Application
2. Unofficial transcripts of college/university work
4. Two letters of recommendation
5. Letter of Interest
● Applications submitted without all required documents listed above will be disqualified. Applicants indicating “see resume” on the online application will be disqualified.
● Graduate advising documents and grade reports will not be accepted as unofficial transcripts.
● Los Rios employees are also required to submit unofficial copies of transcripts.
● Individuals who have completed college or university course work at an institution in a country other than the United States must obtain a complete evaluation of foreign transcripts, degrees and other relevant documents.
● A foreign transcript evaluation is required any time foreign course work is used to meet minimum qualifications and/or salary placement even if the foreign transcript has been accepted by a college or university in the United States.
● Foreign transcript evaluations are ONLY accepted from AICE (Association of International Credential Evaluations, Inc.) or NACES (The National Association of Credential Evaluation Services) agencies or evaluators. Click Foreign Transcripts Evaluations on the Human Resources Services page for details.
Do not submit additional materials that are not requested.Physical DemandsSalary$136,580 annually. LRCCD Salary SchedulesAdditional Salary InformationAdditional stipend for an earned doctorate from an accredited university. Posting Detail Information Posting Date10/11/2019Closing Date11/04/2019Open ContinuouslyNoBeginning and/or Ending Dates
Full-time, Twelve-month, Educational Administrative Position.
Beginning on or about January 1, 2020.
Please visit our Frequently Asked Questions for complete information on how to apply online with our District. Application services are available between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, at the Los Rios Community College District Human Resources Office located at 1919 Spanos Court, Sacramento, CA 95825-3981. If you need assistance with any phase of the application process, please call (916) 568-3112 or come in during our business hours.
After hours inquiries should be emailed to [email protected] Submission of applications are by 11:59 p.m. of the posting closing date.Conditions
All Positions: Offers of employment are contingent upon the successful clearance from a criminal background check, freedom from tuberculosis, and proof of identity and eligibility to work in the United States prior to the first day of work. The District may select additional qualified candidates should unexpected vacancies or needs occur during this recruitment/selection process. When education is a requirement for the position, official academic transcripts from the accredited college/university must be submitted within 60 days of hire.
Administrative/Executive/Faculty Positions: Contingent on funding and eligibility, successful candidates selected for an interview may be eligible to apply for partial reimbursement of travel expenses, up to a maximum of $450. Candidate Travel Reimbursement click here
Administrative/Executive Positions: Administrative positions may be subject to the District’s Conflict of Interest Code, and a statement of economic interest is required within thirty (30) days following appointment to the position. Management/Executive positions are exempt from overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act.Quicklinkhttp://jobs.losrios.edu/postings/13485Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Criminal History Verification and Release: I acknowledge and agree that I understand that by answering the question below, I certify that the information provided by me is true, correct and complete to the best of my knowledge and belief. I authorize investigation of all statements contained herein, and on the P-881 (if applicable and submitted), and I release from liability all persons and organizations furnishing such information. I understand that any misstatements, omissions or misrepresentation of facts on this form, my application, and, if applicable, the P-881 or attachment(s) may be cause for disqualification or dismissal. If you have ever been convicted of an offense other than a minor traffic violation you are required to complete the form "Arrests Which Led to Convictions for Crime", P-881 (you must disclose convictions that have been dismissed pursuant to Penal Code Section 1203.4; Ed. Code 87008). Please copy and paste the provided URL for the form - https://losrios.edu/docs/lrccd/employees/hr/forms/p-881.pdf - and attach the completed form to your application.
- Yes, I acknowledge and agree
- No, I do not acknowledge or agree
- * Can you perform the essential functions of this position?
- * Considering this specific position that you are applying to – where/how did you learn about this position?
- College Department
- Chronicle of Higher Ed (Vitea.com)
- Community College Registry Job Fair: Oakland
- Community College Registry Job Fair: Los Angeles
- Community College Registry Online Job Board
- Community Outreach (ex. Festivals, etc.)
- Diverse: Issues in Higher Education
- Facebook (Campaign)
- Facebook (Los Rios Page)
- Greater Sacramento Urban League
- Job Sites
- Job Journal
- Latina Leadership Network of the California Community Colleges
- Los Rios Community College District Employee
- Los Rios Community College District Human Resources Email
- Los Rios Community College District Website
- Professional Networks
- Sacramento Black Chamber of Commerce
- Sacramento Asian Chamber of Commerce
- Sacramento Builders Exchange
- Sacramento Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- Sacramento Rainbow Chamber of Commerce
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of Interest
- Unofficial Transcript 1
- Letter of Recommendation 1
- Letter of Recommendation 2
- P-881 Report of Arrests Which Led To Convictions For Crime Document
- Employee Request for Transfer Form
- Unofficial Transcript 2
- Unofficial Transcript 3
- Foreign Transcript Evaluation
- Unofficial Transcript 4
- Unofficial Transcript 5