Dean of Adult and Continuing Education/Dean of Skokie (DAE-19)
Department:: Alliance for Lifelong Learning
Locations:: Skokie, IL
Posted:: Oct 10, 2019
Closes:: Open Until Filled
About Oakton Community College :
Appointment to an administrator position is contingent upon approval by the College's Board of Trustees.
Oakton Community College, a caring community of educators dedicated to excellence and learning, invites applications for Dean of Adult and Continuing Education/Dean of Skokie.
A premier comprehensive community college, Oakton is 17 miles from downtown Chicago. Oakton serves the near northern suburbs of Chicago with campuses in Des Plaines and Skokie with buildings totaling over 700,000 square feet of space resting on 192 acres. These campuses serve almost 10,000 students annually that are enrolled in over 82,000 credit hours of instruction. This position will be based out of the Des Plaines campus. The College's Operating Funds' budget (Education and Operations & Maintenance Funds) for the academic year ending on June 30, 2019 amounts to $74.5 million. The College has undertaken a five year, $68.5 million Master Plan which included the construction and recent opening of the 93,000 square foot Margaret Burke Lee Science and Health Careers building on the Des Plaines campus.
The College is known for its academic innovations, commitment to serving students, solid financial position, and supportive environment for both students and employees. Oakton seeks a Dean of Adult and Continuing Education/Dean of Skokie who is an innovative leader and who will continue a strong tradition of excellence.
Candidates with a commitment to working in a culturally competent environment are especially valued at Oakton.
We encourage applications from candidates who reflect the increasing diversity of Oakton's student body and community, enhance and promote engagement with other cultures, and have demonstrated a commitment to working with and as part of a multicultural faculty and diverse student body and community.
Basic Function and Responsibilities:
The Dean of Adult and Continuing Education/Dean of Skokie directs, manages, and provides leadership in all instructional and academic support systems within the college's adult education and continuing education programs. This position is responsible for the overall strategic vision of the adult and continuing education departments at the college. Additionally, the dean ensures coordination of courses, curriculum, and evaluation, as well as collaboration with other academic areas including continuing education and career & technical education programs. This administrative position has oversight over all managers instructors, students and clerical staff associated with the program as well as federal and state grants associated with the adult/continuing education departments. This position also participates in strategic planning for Oakton's Skokie location. Working closely with other stakeholders, this position supports the development and maintenance of effective and efficient operations.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the overall management and strategic vision of the Oakton's Adult and Continuing Education Programs including the Adult education and Family Literacy federal and state grants (AEFL grants) as well as workforce development initiatives.
- Develops and tracks adult and continuing education program metrics.
- Executes and completes projects related to improving quality of instruction, transitioning adult and continuing education students into bridges/gateway pathways, improving testing procedures, increasing high school equivalency test completion, and facilitating enrollment in all adult and continuing education programs.
- Experience in online course development and management related to career programming and certification.
- Direct appropriate integration of emerging instructional programs and technologies into workforce and adult and continuing education offerings and services.
- Oversees preparation of department budget including the alignment with the AEFL grants.
- Ensures compliance to Illinois Community College Board policies and regulations for adult and continuing education programs.
- Represents the college at state meetings related to workforce, adult and family literacy.
- Point person for daily management of Oakton's Skokie location. Makes recommendations for operational effectiveness and efficiency at Skokie.
- Develops, implements, and maintains a Skokie operations committee.
- Perform other job related duties as assigned by the Vice President for Academic Affairs and Associate Vice President for Workforce Education/Dean of Business & Career Programs.
- Master's degree in Adult Education, TESOL, Education Administration, Educational Leadership or an equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired; terminal degree preferred.
- Minimum three years' experience managing adult education and/or continuing education department and programs in a community college environment.
- Project management experience.
- Experience with program evaluation and assessment.
- Experience in recruiting and transitioning adult education students including ESL/HSE students as well as Workforce Investment & Opportunities Act (WIOA) eligible students into career programs.
- At least 2 years' experience in program development and management related to workforce/incumbent worker training.
- Experience in grant writing/management/oversight; adult education and family literacy grant experience preferred.
Joint supervision is received from the Vice President for Academic Affairs and Associate Vice President for Workforce Education/Dean of Business & Career Programs
Administrative supervision is provided for Adult & Continuing Education administrators, managers, and staff
The salary range associated with the Dean of of Adult and Continuing Education/Dean of Skokie Minimum annual salary: $101,154. Salary midpoint: $134,136; Maximum annual salary: $167,115. Placement in the salary range is based on educational qualifications, related experience, and internal equity.
To become an applicant, interested individuals must complete the online application linked from the posting found on the Oakton website. Electronic copies of a cover letter, resume/cv, list of three (3) references with contact information and transcripts must be submitted by the applicant via uploading to the Oakton employment website. Please indicate the position code (DAE-19) on the cover letter. Uploaded documents need to be under 2 MB in size and in either .doc, .txt, or .pdf format. A total of 8 separate documents may be uploaded to an application file that has been successfully submitted to the College.
An UNOFFICIAL copy of transcripts must be submitted at the time of application by the applicant.
***Official transcripts for all degrees earned are only required prior to appointment.***
Official transcripts or a placement/credential file should be e-mailed to [email protected]
Official transcripts or placement/credential files sent by postal mail should be sent to:
Oakton Community College
Dean of Adult and Continuing Education (DAE-19)
c/o Human Resources Department
1600 East Golf Road
Des Plaines, IL 60016
Please contact Matthew Robitaille, Employment Coordinator at 847.635.1868 or [email protected] if you encounter any difficulties with electronic submission of these documents.
Posted positions may be removed from the Oakton website without notice when it is determined that no additional applicants are required.
Interviewees will be reimbursed for expenses associated with travel in excess of 50 miles to the interviews.
Oakton Community College is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution, committed to employing competent, qualified individuals. Oakton Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, socioeconomic status, sex or gender, gender identity, or sexual orientation in admission to and participation in its educational programs, college activities and services, or in its employment practices.