Director, Gift Accounting
Position InformationPosition Information Present Position NumberFP233WRole Code TitleProf/Lecturer/11-12MthPosition TitleDirector, Gift AccountingPosition Summary
This position has been reopened to reflect a new review date of 11/8/2019. Previous applicants are still under consideration and need not reapply.
This is an exciting time to work at William & Mary in the Office of Advancement as we raise $1B in our campaign, For the Bold! We are hiring ambitious, energetic professionals to join a team of 180 colleagues in our award-winning work of alumni engagement, fundraising and philanthropic outreach to a diverse community of supporters. Our alumni give back to W&M, earning us the honor of being named the number one public institution for alumni giving in 2018.
William & Mary seeks a dynamic, strategic leader for the role of Director, Gift Accounting. As the leader, the Director will work closely with the Associate Vice President of Advancement Business Innovations & Services to lead by example, mentor, and manage a team comprising of five individuals. The Director is responsible for the overall vision and strategy as well as management and operations of gift accounting for the University and its related foundations to ensure accurate and timely recording and distribution of gifts and pledges.
The Director oversees the daily and cyclical operations of the Gift Accounting team, managing all charitable donations processing, receipting, acknowledging, and pledge management activity for a department raising $100 million or more per year. Ensures the data integrity of charitable donation information as well as monitoring data quality within the unit and beyond while adhering to departmental policies and procedures, industry best practices, and regulatory requirements including those outlined by CASE, NACUBO, FASB, GASB, and the IRS. The Director is expected to participate in the system analysis of a donor database, which includes gift policy administration, gift and data acceptance and entry, and user training.
William & Mary is a university unlike any other in America. Our students are not only some of the smartest in the world, but, like our team in advancement, are passionate about serving others and serious about having fun. W&M is a highly-selective, cutting-edge research university, and is also a “Public Ivy,” offering a world-class education without the sticker shock. Our professors are teachers, scholars and research mentors — cornerstones of a thriving intellectual community that produces experienced, engaged, and successful graduates.Required Qualifications
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree with professional experience and specialized expertise related to the position.
- Relevant and progressively responsible experience in a sophisticated fundraising environment.
- Experience in a supervisory or leadership position.
- Strong project management, leadership, and supervisory skills.
- Experience with major fundraising database systems such as Advance or Salesforce, etc.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with the ability to work effectively with a diverse audience, with the ability to translate analysis into an accessible format when interacting with non-technical audiences. Proficiency in delivering information clearly to others in both oral and written forms.
- Excellent planning skills with the ability to identify, clarify and articulate a projects purpose, goals and outcomes. Ability to align unit goals to greater organizational goals and leverage institutional knowledge to advance programs, services and offerings.
- Strong business acumen and the ability to make thoughtful decisions, appropriately weighing investments relative to outcomes/impacts, to identify priorities in a fast-paced, high-visibility environment.
- Strong organizational and attention to detail skills, with the ability to coordinate multiple assignments with competing deadlines and manage a team that works in concert to produce high-quality programs.
- Ability to interpret and evaluate policy and procedural requirements and produce and analyze data.
- Tactful exercise of judgment and discretion with sensitive and highly confidential information, with the ability to exercise independent initiative.
- Demonstrated customer service skills
- A deep knowledge base and understanding of charitable revenue handling in a large organization, fiscal control policies and procedures, accepted IRS and CASE standards and procedures, and fundraising database processes and procedures.
- Master’s degree in a related field is preferred.
- Experience within a fundraising office at a higher education institution is desirable.
U14Job Open Date10/11/2019Review Begin Date11/08/2019Job Close DateOpen Until FilledYesEmployment CategoryProfessional FTPosition Term12-MonthSpecial Application InstructionsConditions of Employment:
This position requires additional hours beyond the typical work week to include evenings, weekends and during holiday break in order to meet the needs of the business. as necessary.EEO Statement
William & Mary is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access employer and actively encourages applications from minorities, women, disabled persons and veterans.Background Check Statement
William & Mary is committed to providing a safe campus community. W&M conducts background investigations for applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include reference checks, a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial (credit) report or driving history check.Supplemental Question
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Cover Letter
- Other Doc
- Other 2