Assistant Professor in Archaeology
Posting InformationPosting Information Position TitleAssistant Professor in ArchaeologyJob Posting Number202059FACJob LocationSan MarcosDepartmentAnthropologyPosition Description
The Department of Anthropology at Texas State University invites applications for a tenure-track appointment in archaeology, at the assistant professor level, to begin Fall 2020. We have baccalaureate degrees in anthropology, a M.A. in anthropology, and a Ph.D. in applied anthropology. We believe that an academic department is a scholarly community formed by faculty, staff and students that creates an environment of learning for all. We are committed to advancing diversity and inclusion in all areas of faculty effort. For additional information about the department visit www.txstate.edu/anthropology, and for information about the Center for Archaeological Studies visit www.cas.anthropology.txstate.edu.
The successful candidate will teach and mentor undergraduate and graduate students in archaeology and applied archaeology; support an active research program with external funding; and contribute to the department and university through service activities.Required Qualifications
1) an active research program in the complex societies of Mesoamerica, and 2) a Ph.D. in anthropology or archaeology, or a closely related field, at the time of application.Preferred Qualifications
1) an active research program in the archaeology of complex societies of Mexico; 2) peer-reviewed publications in the archaeology of complex societies; 3) evidence of external research funding, or a plan to obtain future external research funding that would support the applicant’s research and/or teaching agendas; 4) experience in one or more of the following applied areas: cultural resource management, international heritage management, laws and legislation, digital tools and methods, preservation, curation, consultation and collaboration with descendant communities, and public outreach and education; 5) experience in methodologies and/or technologies that expand on those currently offered by the department; 6) ability to, or experience in, teaching introductory, topical, applied, theory, and methods courses for undergraduate and graduate students; 7)ability to, or experience in, mentoring undergraduate and graduate students; 8) a plan to recruit M.A. and Ph.D. students; and 9) a plan to promote diversity and inclusion in one or more of the following areas: instruction, scholarship, and public engagement.Application Procedures
Only applications submitted through the Texas State University website will be accepted and considered, https://jobs.hr.txstate.edu/postings/26394.
For full consideration all application materials must be received by December 13, 2019. Interested applicants should submit the following materials: 1) a cover letter highlighting experience and qualifications with regard to (a) the position’s responsibilities and (b) the required and preferred qualifications; 2) a detailed curriculum vita; and 3) the names and contact information of three references.
Inquiries about this position may be directed to Dr. David Kilby at 512-245-8272 or [email protected].
The selected applicant will be required to provide official transcripts from all degree-granting universities.Proposed Start DateFall 2020Open DateReview Date12/13/2019Close Date12/13/2019Open Until Filled?NoLegal Notices
Texas State University, to the extent not in conflict with federal or state law, prohibits discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, veterans’ status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression.
Employment with Texas State University is contingent upon the outcome of record checks and verifications including criminal history, driving records, education records, employment verifications, reference checks, and employment eligibility verifications.
Texas State University is a tobacco-free campus. Smoking and the use of any tobacco product will not be allowed anywhere on Texas State property or in university owned or leased vehicles.
Texas State University is a member of the Texas State University System. Texas State University is an EOE.
Texas State University is home to more than 38,000 students and 2,000 faculty members in the growing Austin-San Antonio corridor. A member of the Doctoral Universities: Higher Research Activity Carnegie classification, the university creates new knowledge, fosters cultural and economic development, and prepares its growing population of diverse students for the endless possibilities that await them as citizens of Texas, the nation, and the world.
Bolstered by research with relevance and innovation in creative and scholarly work in a full range of academic disciplines and a spirit of inclusiveness, Texas State seeks outstanding candidates for a variety of faculty positions.Quick Linkhttp://jobs.hr.txstate.edu/postings/26394Applicant DocumentsRequired Documents
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- List of References
- Letter of Recommendation #1
- Letter of Recommendation #2
- Letter of Recommendation #3
- DD 214/DD1300
- Veteran's Preference
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Diverse Issues in Higher Education
- Texas Workforce Commission-Work in Texas
- Colleague, friend, and/or personal referral
- Other (Please Specify in follow up question below)
- * Please Specify: (enter "NA" if not applicable)
(Open Ended Question)