Postdoctoral Research Associate
Posting DetailsPosition Information Job TitlePostdoctoral Research AssociateDepartmentBioSciences at RiceFull Time/Part TimeFull-TimeRequisition NumberP20006Open Date07/19/2019Close DateBenefits EligibleYesPosition Summary
The Shamoo laboratory’s interest in molecular evolution is stimulated by the rise in drug resistant pathogens and how understanding the physical basis for adaptation can be used for prediction of resistance and the identification of new targets and strategies for antimicrobial therapies.
A postdoctoral position in the evolution of social behaviors in microbes and antibiotic drug discovery using microfluidic approaches is available in the Department of BioSciences.
Rice University has an active postdoctoral training community (https://graduate.rice.edu/postdocs) and features a broad, world-class biosciences research community.Education RequiredPhD or other Doctoral DegreeMajor/Discipline
Biochemistry, cell biology, molecular biology.Education PreferredExperience RequiredNo experience requiredType of ExperienceExperience Preferred
One to two years in the design and use of microfluidic devices and emulsions.Skills Required
- Work independently and as part of a team
- Plan and perform experiments
- Analyze data, and communicate results in reports and scientific publications and grant proposals
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to manage research projects, and quickly learn new techniques are also essential
- Walking, standing for long periods, and/or extended sitting while working with experiments
- Requires manual dexterity for pipetting and other aspects of experimental protocols
- Typing reports, manuscripts, molecular biology databases, working on computers
- Moderate lifting (30 pounds) and carrying experimental materials and supplies
- Laboratory and office environments
- Extended working hours may be required on evening or weekends to run experiments
- Essential functions may require handling and storage of hazardous chemicals
- Design and fabrication of microfluidic devices
- Image processing and mathematical modeling of diffusion
- Supervises and trains graduate and undergraduate students
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a PhD or other doctoral degree in biochemistry, cell biology, molecular biology?