Posting DetailsPosition Information Job TitleResearch EngineerDepartmentElectrical & Computer EngineeringFull Time/Part TimeFull-TimeRequisition NumberS20194Open Date10/11/2019Close DateSalary Information
Salary Commensurate with Experience and QualificationsWork Schedule
Monday to Friday, 40 hour work week with flexible hours.Benefits EligibleYesEligible for OvertimeNoPosition Summary
As a member of Scalable Health Labs in Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Rice University in Houston, TX, the Research Engineer will be engaged in managing all aspects of the new advanced “Wearables Lab.”
The main responsibility of this position is to design, develop, and deploy advanced wearables and point-of-care devices. The form factors of advanced wearables include smart watches, smart clothing, AR/VR platforms, and other emerging technologies. The wearable technologies developed will oftentimes integrate in-house innovations such as lensless imaging (FlatCam), remote vital signs monitoring, and cuffless blood pressure measurement. The new wearables/devices will target diverse healthcare applications and will be designed to both support clinical applications with partners in Texas Medical Center and commercialization of successful ideas.
The ideal candidate can design, develop, and assemble an embedded system. In addition, the ideal candidate should be able to effectively interact with the engineering team to solve the reported problems and assist the team members in learning how to use the platform.
We seek greater representation of women, minorities, people with disabilities, and veterans in disciplines in which they have historically been underrepresented; to attract international students from a wider range of countries and backgrounds; to accelerate progress in building a faculty and staff who
are diverse in background and thought; and we support an inclusive environment that fosters interaction and understanding within our diverse community.
Rice University is an Equal Opportunity Employer with commitment to diversity at all levels and considers for employment qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, genetic information, disability, or protected
Computer engineering, electrical engineering, computer science, or other related field.Substitution for Education Requirement
Experience may not be substituted for the education requirement.Education Preferred
MS or PhD in computer engineering, electrical engineering, computer science, or other related field.Experience Required3 yearsType of Experience
- Experience in developing integrated and embedded electronics system
- Experience in PCB (printed circuit boards) design
- Experience in developing embedded software
May substitute additional related education, above and beyond what is required, on an
equivalent year for year basis in lieu of the experience requirement.
- Experience with imaging systemsLicense/Certification RequiredLicense/Certification PreferredSkills Required
- Proficient and comprehensive knowledge of field of specialization
- Strong verbal and written communication, problem solving, and critical thinking skills with strong attention to details
- Ability to maintain quality safety standards
- Ability encourage teamwork and collaboration
- Ability to solve challenging engineering problems
- Strong organizational skills
- Knowledge of imaging systems
- Ability to design and assemble new, full, embedded electronics systems
- Familiarity with Embedded systems
- Familiarity with PCB design
- Familiarity with Embedded programming
- Familiarity with Sensor systems
Internal Contacts: The incumbent has daily contact with Rice faculty, research scientists, postdoctoral associates, graduate and undergraduate students.
External Contacts: The incumbent has some interaction with external research collaborators and vendors on demand.Physical Demands
- Should be able to lift up to 25 pounds (moving computers and other related equipment)
- Must be able to work at a computer for extended periods of time (up to eight hours)
Monday through Friday, flexible hours during normal 40 hour work week.Essential PersonnelRice University Standard of Civility
Serves as a representative of the University, displaying courtesy, tact, consideration and discretion in all interactions with other members of the Rice community and with the public.Security SensitiveYes Special Instructions to ApplicantsQuick Link for Postinghttp://jobs.rice.edu/postings/21631 Job Functions Essential FunctionsAdditional Functions or Information Job Duties Job Duty NameEssential FunctionsDescription of Job Duty
- Conducts research development activities for an organization
- Contributes to the design, development, implementation, analysis and testing of new technologies
- Conducts experiments; summarizes, documents and presents findings
- Participates in the management of projects, reviewing project scope to ensure projects are on time and within budget
- Provides basic instruction, when necessary to: undergraduates, graduates, post docs, faculty and external users wanting to learn how the use of the instruments for their research
- Performs all other duties assigned
- Hardware Design: Creates, manages, and drives project time lines for novel wearable and point-of-care imaging systems; works with both graduate and undergraduate students to assemble novel new integrated electronic systems
- Algorithmic Development and Software Implementations: Designs core software components to implement advanced new algorithms on low-power and mobile-cloud platforms
- Cover Letter
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a bachelor’s degree in computer engineering, electrical engineering, computer science, or other related field?
- * Do you have three year of experience in developing integrated and embedded electronics systems, experience in PCB (printed circuit boards) design, and experience in developing embedded software? You may substitute additional related education, above and beyond what is required, on an equivalent year for year basis in lieu of the experience requirement.