A&S-PSY-Registered Nurse, Research (Safren)-STA
Job location: Miami, FL
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2019-10-10
If you are a current Staff, Faculty or Temporary employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet.Where Excellence Meets PurposeThe University of Miami is among the top research universities and academic medical centers in the nation, and one of the largest private employers in South Florida.With more than 16,000 faculty and staff, the University strives for excellence, and is driven by a powerful purpose to transform and impact the lives of its students, patients, members of the community, and people across the globe.The University is committed to fostering a culture of belonging, where everyone feels valued and has the opportunity to add value. Through values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity, and Teamwork (DIRECCT) the U community works together to create an environment driven by purpose, excellence, community, and service.The University has been named on Forbes's Best Employers list for two consecutive years, and is the only university in Florida to receive this honor.
The Department of Psychology, within the College of Arts & Sciences, is seeking a full-time Registered Nurse, Research to work in the Health Promotion and Care (HPAC) lab under the supervision of Dr. Steven Safren.
The Nurse will work primarily on a biomedical HIV prevention trial among gay/bisexual and other men who have sex with men. The Nurse will obtain and review medical records of study participants, collect specimens (e.g., blood draws), and report clinical findings to the Principal Investigator. Additionally, the Nurse will be trained in the cognitive behavioral brief intervention model and deliver psychosocial assessments and adherence counseling for pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) to gay, bisexual and other men who have sex with men (in Spanish or English).
There may be additional opportunities to collaborate on publications and dissemination of results. The main research studies include:
- Lifesteps for PrEP — an R01 HIV-prevention study that tests interventions to improve adherence to PrEP medication regimen.
- Community Survey — a survey to better understand the health and needs of the local South Florida community, especially with respect to HIV-prevention and treatment
- Depending on need and on participant flow in the trial, the study nurse may work on additional HIV biomedical prevention or treatment trials.
Any appropriate combination of relevant education, experience, and/or certifications may be considered.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing from an accredited school
- RN license
- Minimum of 1 year of work experience
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) to serve research population
Core Job Functions:
- Confirms valid signed and dated informed consents for each research participant or their representative prior to beginning the study.
- Obtains and reviews medical history of study participants for clinical studies.
- Collects and handles specimens as required by individual study protocols.
- Reports pertinent clinical findings and results to appropriate managing staff.
- Ensures compliance with institutional and government guidelines, regulations, and requirements.
- Maintains inventory of supplies and ensures orders are placed as needed.
- Adheres to University and unit-level policies and procedures and safeguards University assets.
- Administers psychosocial assessments and adherence counseling to patients/research participants
- Assists with implementation of the clinical trial recruitment efforts
- Supports clinical trial participant registration and retention
- Prepares protocol revisions and safety reports to the IRB and National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- Adheres strictly to all IRB guidelines and confidentiality requirements
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.Job Status:Full timeEmployee Type:StaffPay Grade:n6