Position: Assistant Controller Location: Wheaton, IL
Job Id: 436 # of Openings: 1 ASSISTANT CONTROLLER Responsibilities Reporting to the Controller, the Assistant Controller will provide support and oversight to Accounts Payable, Fixed Asset, Financial Reporting and audit functions at Wheaton College. The Assistant Controller will assist in developing, documenting and ensuring compliance with the Accounting/Purchasing department’s policies and procedures and will support the FP&A Manager during the budget process. Duties
- Responsible for the monthly G/L close and reporting. Ensuring the timeliness and accuracy of the financial statements. Provide insight to account variances.
- Assist the Controller with preparation of Board Reports.
- Assist the Controller in the annual financial audit process, including assistance with year-end closing procedures and footnote preparation for the audited financial statements.
- Work closely with Director of Student Financial Services to prepare and oversee the annual single audit.
- Supervise the Accounts Payable Manager and Fixed Asset Accountant.
- Review and approve work performed by Accounts Payable Manager and Fixed Asset Accountant, including 1099 and 1098 reports and journal entries.
- Review and approve draws for government funds and reports.
- Manage PCI compliance and credit card processing platforms.
- Ensure G/L feeds from Student Financial Services, Advancement, and Payroll are accurate and post in a timely manner.
- Ensure compliance with bond and SBPA covenants.
- Assist with training faculty and staff on processes and procedures.
- Pursue and help implement process efficiencies within all functions of the Accounting/Purchasing department.
- Remain current on changes in regulations and other industry news.
- A bachelor’s degree in Accounting and 5+ years of experience in related roles is required. CPA and experience in higher education is preferred.
- 5+ years management experience with a demonstrated record of motivating teams and managing performance.
- Aptitude for improving processes and managing change.
- Able to communicate effectively at all levels of the organization.
- Organized, self-disciplined, and goal oriented.
- Strong capability in Microsoft Excel®. Demonstrated ability to deeply understand financial systems. Experience with Ellucian Banner a plus.