Database Administrator (Analyst/Programmer - Expert)
Job Title: Database Administrator (Analyst/Programmer - Expert)
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 13806
Job Code: 0400 Analyst/Programmer -12
Job Grade: Expert
Department: Infrastructure & Systems
Salary Range: $7,725 per month
Note: This is a full-time, probationary, exempt position.var RichTextValue = PTRTEFillcache('https://cmshr.fresnostate.edu/psp/HFRPRD_newwin/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL','PT_RTE_IMG_DB_LOC','record://PTRTDB','HRS_JO_PDSC_VW_DESCRLONG$0','1');var TextAreaObject = document.getElementById('HRS_JO_PDSC_VW_DESCRLONG$0');TextAreaObject.innerHTML = RichTextValue;
Responsible for managing the reliability and performance of all campus hosted mission critical databases. Ensure that databases are continually available and perform optimally especially during peak usage periods. Provide expertise to the Technology Services Department regarding architecture, design and functionality of Oracle and SQL Server database technologies. Consult directly with application programmers especially in the area of deriving correct SQL result sets and tuning it to perform satisfactorily. Duties involve close interaction with local technical team members, local managers, and technical resources in Chancellor’s Office. Responsibilities also include oversight and enforcement of enterprise application software change control activities. Specific duties include:
- Create and support databases required for development, testing and production usages.
- Continual assessment of database performance and identification and tuning of problem areas.
- Install and/or upgrade database platforms and the tools or products necessary to support them.
- Provide guidance and deliver solutions that ensure effective and efficient backup and recovery of Oracle and SQL Server database environments.
- Utilize a change control management methodology to manage objects through the application development life cycle.
- Provide expertise to design and implement security policies for database environments
- Create and enforce standards to ensure that all application design and code is produced with proper integrity, security and performance considerations.
- Monitor database applications and makes recommendations on upgrades or new functionality.
- Organize, plan and execute database upgrades
- Provide technical expertise to support and advise the application development team
- Work collaboratively with internal and external resources to build, maintain or redesign the BI architecture
- Design and construct high performance ETL tools and routines
- Provide and design tools to assist in the management of the databases in a Data Warehousing environment
- Build and maintain a working model of Data Warehousing environment for capacity assessment and planning
- Maintain database user accounts to ensure they comply with campus security policy.
- Coordinate with campus information security office to insure compliance with campus and state regulations and policies.
- Interact with outside IT Solution Providers for systems and consulting resources to ensure effective support for current operations and identify and direct proposed IT system evolution to new releases and/or product mixes.
- Interact with vendor support staff and Technology Services staff in implementing recommended resolutions. Assist in quality assurance testing for the application of system patches, releases, and upgrades to the development and testing databases, direct and assist functional testing of these environments prior to their being moved to production. Coordinate change control activities for production migrations.
- Provide technical solutions to fulfill business objectives.
- Coordinate with and maintain a positive working relationship with other information technology resources on campus and at other CSU campuses to best serve the changing campus administrative computing needs.
- Provide recommendations to the management on tactical and strategic database technology related decisions.
- Requires a Master’s degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or related field, plus two (2) years of database administration or related experience in Oracle database administration in Windows, Unix and Linux environments, including experience with database security; application of Oracle patches and Windows Updates; installation and maintenance of third party software on Linux/Unix and Windows Servers; database and SQL performance tuning strategies; database backup and recovery strategies involving tools such as Oracle RMAN and SQL Server maintenance plans; and evaluating and recommending database physical storage solutions.
*Specific skills: Also requires experience or knowledge in:
- Knowledge of SQL, PL/SQL and Transact SQL
- Experience with Oracle Enterprise Manager, including Oracle ASM, Oracle RAC, Oracle Data Guard, and Oracle Identity Management Suite
- Knowledge of remote database network connectivity including SQLNet, ODBC and JDBC
- Knowledge of SQL Server Management Studio
- Knowledge of configuration options and performance metrics of available storage architectures
- Experience with PeopleSoft Portal, Data Warehousing, OBIEE, Virtualization and VMware
- Experience with Webserver installation, configuration and administration and Weblogic
- Experience in higher education student records environment or public service agency
- Experience in tuning data loads and reports in data warehousing environment
*Any level of experience or knowledge in the specific skills is acceptable.var RichTextValue = PTRTEFillcache('https://cmshr.fresnostate.edu/psp/HFRPRD_newwin/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL','PT_RTE_IMG_DB_LOC','record://PTRTDB','HRS_JO_PDSC_VW_DESCRLONG$1','1');var TextAreaObject = document.getElementById('HRS_JO_PDSC_VW_DESCRLONG$1');TextAreaObject.innerHTML = RichTextValue;
November 12, 2019var RichTextValue = PTRTEFillcache('https://cmshr.fresnostate.edu/psp/HFRPRD_newwin/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL','PT_RTE_IMG_DB_LOC','record://PTRTDB','HRS_JO_PDSC_VW_DESCRLONG$2','1');var TextAreaObject = document.getElementById('HRS_JO_PDSC_VW_DESCRLONG$2');TextAreaObject.innerHTML = RichTextValue;
Complete the required fields on the online application, a resume, and three professional references, including telephone numbers, are required. A cover letter that addresses your qualifications for the position is also required. Full consideration will not be given to applicants who fail to complete all application requirements.
Pursuant to Executive Order 1088, reasonable accommodation is to be provided upon request from an employee or applicant with disabilities, unless doing so would impose an undue hardship on the campus. What constitutes a reasonable accommodation is to be determined by the campus on a case-by-case basis after it has received the individual's request for accommodation and engaged in an interactive process. Employees or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation should contact Human Resources directly at (559) 278-2032.
How To Apply
To apply for this or any open position at Fresno State visit our online employment site at: http://jobs.csufresno.edu/var RichTextValue = PTRTEFillcache('https://cmshr.fresnostate.edu/psp/HFRPRD_newwin/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL','PT_RTE_IMG_DB_LOC','record://PTRTDB','HRS_JO_PDSC_VW_DESCRLONG$4','1');var TextAreaObject = document.getElementById('HRS_JO_PDSC_VW_DESCRLONG$4');TextAreaObject.innerHTML = RichTextValue;
Pursuant to the requirements of the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, any offer of employment is contingent upon verification of individual's eligibility to be employed in the United States.
California State University, Fresno, in conjunction with the CSU policy, requires that the successful candidate complete a full background check (including a criminal records check) prior to assuming this position. Failure to satisfactorily complete or pass the background check may impact the job offer or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for posted positions identified as sensitive.
California State University, Fresno annual security report includes statistics for the previous three years concerning reported crimes that occurred on campus, in certain off-campus buildings or property owned or controlled by Fresno State, and on public property within, or immediately adjacent to or accessible from the campus. The report also includes institutional policies concerning campus security, alcohol/drug use, crime prevention, reporting of crimes, sexual assault, and other matters. You can obtain a copy of this report by contacting the Campus Police Department or by accessing the following web site: http://www.fresnostate.edu/adminserv/police/clery/index.html
The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 Revised July 21, 2017 as a condition of employment. You can obtain a copy of this Executive order by accessing the following web site: https://www.calstate.edu/eo/EO-1083-rev-7-21-17.html
This position may be a "designated position" in the California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. The successful candidate accepting this position may be required to file Conflict of Interest forms subject to the regulations of the Fair Political Practices Commission.
Fresno State is a tobacco-free, smoke-free and vapor-free campus.
Other Applicant Information
Applicants will receive confirmation of receipt of their application materials via automatic email reply. In addition, qualified applicants will receive email notification at the conclusion of the recruitment process.
It is the policy of the California State University to fill vacant positions represented by the California State University Employees' Union (CSUEU) with qualified applicants currently employed on the campus. Other applicants may be selected when it is necessary to meet the best interests of the campus by obtaining specialized skills and abilities not available from campus applicants.
Equal Employment Opportunity
California State University, Fresno is committed to maintaining and implementing employment policies and procedures in compliance with applicable state and federal equal employment opportunity laws and regulations. Executive Order 883 prohibits discrimination and Executive Order 927 prohibits harassment, on the basis of a protected status: race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, sex (including gender identity, per HR 2004-12), sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition and covered veteran status. Retaliation against individuals for complaining about these proscribed conduct, opposing such conduct, or participating in an investigation or proceeding involving such conduct is prohibited by both executive orders.
Further, California State University, Fresno's statement of commitment to equal employment opportunity principles is also found in the various collective bargaining agreements.
California State University, Fresno is one of 23 campuses in the California State University System. The University's mission is to offer high-quality educational opportunities to qualified students at the bachelor's and master's levels, and in certain applied disciplines, at the doctoral level. The current student enrollment is approximately 24,000, including a large percentage of students with diverse and
culturally rich backgrounds. The University serves the San Joaquin Valley while maintaining deep involvement with the state, nation, and world. California State University, Fresno promotes student learning and community engagement through faculty scholarship and service learning opportunities in collaboration with community organizations, educational institutions, industry, business and government. The University was one of the first U.S. Colleges and Universities to be selected by The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching for its Community Engagement Classification.
Metropolitan Fresno, with a multi-ethnic population of over 600,000, is located in the heart of the San Joaquin Valley on the western edge of the Sierra Nevada Mountain Range. The campus is within driving distance of San Francisco, Los Angeles, Yosemite, Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Parks, the Monterey Peninsula, beaches, sailing, lakes, and numerous ski resorts. Fresno boasts one of the most reasonable housing markets in California and offers a wide array of locally grown fruits and produce.