Director of College Libraries and Information Services (A01112)
Job location: Maryland - Montgomery County
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2019-10-30
Montgomery College is Maryland’s premier community college, serving more than 60,000 students each year through credit and noncredit programs. Montgomery College is one of Maryland’s most diverse community colleges, which includes more than 164 nations represented in our student body. Do you want to join us in our mission of providing an exceptional education and fostering student success? We are dedicated to providing an exceptional education for all of our students, and we recognize that our faculty and staff are integral to our continued success.Job TitleDirector of College Libraries and Information Services (A01112)Job Description SummaryMontgomery College, located just north of Washington, D.C. in Maryland, invites applications for the position of Director of Library & Information Services, #A01112. On three campuses, at off-site locations and online, over 25,000 students are enrolled at Montgomery College in more than 130 programs of study. The College attributes its success to the strength of its academic programs, access for students in both the U.S. and internationally to career-relevant programs, and the dedication of its faculty members to effective learning and student success. Montgomery College is under the vibrant leadership of President Dr. DeRionne Pollard, who took over leadership in 2010, and who led the development of the College’s current strategic plan, MC2020. The College was recently named a best community college by the New York Times and the Chronicle of Higher Education report in 2014 named Montgomery College the tenth most diverse public two-year institution in the nation.
The Director of Library and Information Services provides leadership, oversight and guidance for College libraries, technical services functions, and associated library functions such as archives special collections. The Director is in contact with College leadership at all levels, other public and academic library leadership, other academic institutions, and various consortium and roundtable groups for the purpose of furthering the mission and goals of College library programs, planning, collaborating, and discussing issues of common interest, and resolving problems.Job Description
Responsible for effectively leading the library by creating a shared vision for library services and operations that facilitate student success, employee engagement, successful internal and external partnerships, and strong stewardship of College resources.
- Actively engages in short term and long term planning and assessment to ensure services and operations effectively improve and facilitate student success. Work in conjunction with library employees, academic affairs, and the College community.
- Leads the Library Management Team (LMT) in collaborative decision making and creative problem solving. Engages in critical analysis of operational issues, policy and procedure creation, implementation and maintenance, and direction for new initiatives with the LMT.
- Leads by example to create a collegial and cooperative workplace, including engaging with library staff on a regular basis to hear and address concerns happening at all levels of the organization, and takes into consideration the perspectives of all staff to form the strategic direction of the library. Forms and organizes teams to address cross-divisional innovations.
- Prepares and provides reports, data, and information to demonstrate effective library services and operations in support planning, operations, and initiatives.
- Provides guidance and support to Associate Directors for divisional programming, services, and objectives.
- Represents the library in administrative and college wide meetings and prepares studies, reports, and implements projects in support of library and academic affairs initiatives and goals.
Facilities student success and the mission of the College by ensuring innovative, active and effective library services, through consistent, responsive, and equitable operations based on national standards and best practices.
- Actively engages in developing and adopting effective and consistent programming across campus libraries, including launching innovative services to support the curriculum, teaching, and student learning.
- Streamlining and enhancing operational efficiencies to improve and expand services.
- Works collaboratively with the LMT to assess services and operations, in order to understand patron and stakeholder needs, to minimize barriers to access, and to contribute to academic affairs and student services initiatives.
Promotes the library and College through effective strategic communications and by building strong partnerships with professional organizations, the College community, and County community.
- Possesses strong strategic communications skills and effective advocacy skills.
- Serves as the primary spokesperson for the library and represents the library as a member of professional organizations and relevant organizations within the county and state.
- Maintains a presence in the community to ensure the success of library partnerships and to generate opportunities for new partnerships based on shared goals.
- Understands the value of networking and community building with the broad range of diverse citizens, cultural groups, students, faculty, employees and community organizations to effectively advocate and promote the library.
Effectively manages human and financial resources through strong stewardship of College resources.
- Employs a leadership style that creates an atmosphere of cooperation and positive, open communication among employees. Embraces and actively encourages a climate of diversity.
- Determines staffing requirements and needs and conveys these to the College.
- Ensures the library budget is allocated appropriately and efficiently, expended in a timely and accurate manner, and reflects the priorities of the library.
- Works closely with the Office of Procurement on management and maintenance of library contracts, including working on requests for proposals (RFPs) and approving purchase orders.
- Advocates for funding for the library renovations by working with college offices as necessary.
Develops, adapts and implements library policies and procedures in conjunction with the College and that adhere to Official College Policies and Procedures.
- Initiates the preparation, development, and presentation of policies and procedures as required.
- Actively and effectively administers library policies and procedures and ensures currency, efficiency, and compliance.
- Master's degree in Library Science or equivalent (MSLS, MLIS) from an American Library Association accredited institution.
- Five to six (5-6) years of progressively responsible experience in library operations, preferably in an academic setting.
- Three (3) years of supervisory or management experience in at least two library functional areas.
- Knowledge of library operations, particularly in an academic institution and library procedures including instruction, reference services, and collection development, and in use of technology in library services.
- Skills in identifying strategic priorities and leading a diverse team of professional and paraprofessional staff.
- Skills in project management and in operational organization and planning. Ability to build strong relationships within the libraries, among other college departments.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, and to effectively collaborate and interact with faculty, staff, and administrators at the College.
- Ability to effectively lead others to accomplish the goals of the organization and carry out programs in a diverse institution.
- Possesses a strong philosophy of customer service.
- Track record in leading high-performing teams and in spearheading transformational change.
- Experience managing building renovation projects.
Applications should consist of a cover letter addressing the qualifications and desired attributes listed above and in the position profile, resume/curriculum vitae, and a list of at least three professional references with full contact information and a note indicating the nature of your working relationship with each. References will not be contacted without explicit permission from the candidate.
- Apply online at http://www.montgomerycollege.edu/employment
- Online applications must be received by November 10, 2019.
As a condition of employment, the following are required at the time of hire:
- Successful completion of a background check.
- Eligible to work without visa sponsorship.
- Participation in a retirement plan.
Our benefits package includes: generous paid vacation, sick, paid holidays, medical, dental, vision, group legal benefits, professional development, retirement plan, educational assistance, tuition waiver for employee and dependents, wellness programming including onsite gyms, pools and classes.Closing DateSunday, November 10, 2019Montgomery College is a tobacco-free and smoke-free workplaceFor disability-related accommodations, please call 240-567-5353or send an email to: [email protected]Montgomery College is an academic institution committed to promotingequal opportunity and fostering diversity among its student body, faculty, and staff.