Part-Time Advisor II, Education
Job Title: Part-Time Advisor II, Education
Full/Part Time: Part-Time
Job ID: 31870
Commitment to Mission
This job carries with it the obligation to uphold the Mission of Lone Star College (LSC) in carrying out the duties of the position. A commitment to positive interpersonal behaviors, professional communication, diversity, integrity, leadership, stewardship, respect and accountability to LSC students and employees is essential.
The Chronicle of Higher Education’s “Great Colleges to Work For” is designed to recognize colleges that have been successful in creating great workplaces and to further research and understanding of the factors, dynamics and influences that have the most impact on organizational culture at higher education institutions.
Lone Star College was recognized in five areas: Confidence in Senior Leadership; Diversity; Facilities, Workspace & Security; Job Satisfaction; and Work/Life Balance.Campus Marketing Statement
Lone Star College-Kingwood
Lone Star College offers high-quality, affordable academic transfer and career training education to 99,000 students each semester. LSC is training tomorrow’s workforce today and redefining the community college experience to support student success. Stephen C. Head, Ph.D., serves as chancellor of LSC, the largest institution of higher education in the Houston area with an annual economic impact of nearly $3 billion.
LSC, which consists of seven colleges, ten centers, two university centers, Lone Star Corporate College and LSC-Online, is continuously named Great Colleges to Work For by the Chronicle of Higher Education. To learn more, visit LoneStar.edu.
Lone Star College-Kingwood, an innovative and dynamic community college located in the pine-forested suburbs of northeast Houston, has an opening for someone interested in working with a diverse group of colleagues who want to make a difference in the lives of students and grow professionally. Kingwood focuses on fulfilling individual dreams and enhancing community life and offers unique programs in respiratory care, computer gaming and dental hygiene.
Campus address is 20000 Kingwood Drive, Kingwood, TX 77339.Job Description
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
The PT Advisor II serves as the first point of contact and resource in meeting with, advising and tracking students’ academic progress in connection with degree completion. Position provides academic advice and direction to students on degree planning, program requirements, course selection and enrollment, and schedule building. Educates students’ on LSC’s policies and state & federal rules as they relate to them. Represents Lone Star College (LSC) internally and externally.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Serves as the designated campus Advisor to students in all areas pertaining to their academic progress with Lone Star College
- Provides individual, one-on-one academic advising to students on degree requirements and proper course selection
- Provides guidance and assistance to students to ensure smooth transition to 4 year institutions
- Communicates and coordinates with College Relations and universities to schedule transfer events for students
- Monitors, tracks and reports progress on a cohort group of students including success, retention, and completion rates
- Assists students in creating their MEP (My Educational Plan) and advises students on course prerequisites, co-requisites, and recommended course sequence
- Educates and provides students with information on resources and services available at the campus/center
- Reviews degree plans for students, approves/denies their requests to graduate, and processes student registration repeals
- Develops workshops, information sessions, recruitment events, etc. and advises students on employment opportunities in their field of study
- May work with local school districts on advising CTE (career technical education), dual credit, tech prep, and potential students
- Advises and assists students in creating and developing resumes and cover letters
- Advisors of International students will advise on immigration issues, ensures college compliance with all immigration procedures/regulations, and provides admission advice and counsel to International students. They will also collaborate with the Office of International Programs in the planning and implementation of college wide policies and procedures
- Serves as a member or chair of various committees/meetings, such as Graduation, Veteran’s Luncheon, All Male Summit, Female Summit, Open House, New Student Orientation, etc.
- Responsible for other reasonable, related duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Proficiency with common office software
- Strong attention to accuracy and detail for tracking student success and student educational plans
- Ability to communicate and work well with all levels of students
- Ability to prioritize duties
- High level of customer service
The work is sedentary. Typically, the employee sits comfortably to do the work. However, there may be some walking; standing; bending; carrying of light items, such as papers, books, or small parts; or driving an automobile. No special physical demands are required to perform the work.
WORK SCHEDULE AND CONDITIONS:
- Equipment used includes, PC workstation running on a LAN in a Microsoft Windows environment, calculator, phone and other general office equipment
- Interface with internal and external contacts as needed to carry out the functions of the position
- Work is performed in a climate-controlled office with minimal exposure to safety hazards
- Bachelor’s degree and at least 3 year of experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Work experience in a higher education setting
- Experience working with students who have unique barriers and experience in assisting these students with their educational success
Hourly Pay Rate is $21.32Benefits Marketing Statement
By joining our top-notch institution, you will enjoy being a part of an organization that offers a supportive, collegial work environment, excellent work/life balance, tuition waiver, participation in a tax deferred retirement plan and more.Special Instructions
Go to the Job Search page, click on ‘My Activities’ at the top of the page. Under My Cover Letters and Attachments you will click on ‘Add Attachment.’ Please be sure to put the Job ID# in the title once you name your file for cover letters only, unless you attached your cover letter with your resume. You must limit your file name to 40 characters or less.
How to Apply
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE ONLY
We will not accept application material received via fax, email, mail, or hand delivered.
Postings for part-time and adjunct positions are active for the academic year. By selecting the option to receive notifications on your profile, you will begin receiving electronic communication regarding new opportunities with Lone Star College (LSC).
If selected for an interview, a recruiter will contact you by phone, or email to schedule an interview.
Lone Star College participates in the E-Verify program, under which Lone Star College provides the federal government with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm that the employee is authorized to work in the United States.
More information on the E-Verify program is available at www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.
Lone Star College is an EEO Employer. All positions are subject to a criminal background check.