Job Title: Part-Time Librarian
Location: LSC-Houston North Fairbanks
Full/Part Time: Part-Time
Job ID: 31876
Commitment to Mission
This job carries with it the obligation to uphold the Mission of Lone Star College (LSC) in carrying out the duties of the position. A commitment to positive interpersonal behaviors, professional communication, diversity, integrity, leadership, stewardship, respect and accountability to LSC students and employees is essential.
The Chronicle of Higher Education’s “Great Colleges to Work For” is designed to recognize colleges that have been successful in creating great workplaces and to further research and understanding of the factors, dynamics and influences that have the most impact on organizational culture at higher education institutions.
Lone Star College was recognized in five areas: Confidence in Senior Leadership; Diversity; Facilities, Workspace & Security; Job Satisfaction; and Work/Life Balance.Campus Marketing Statement
Lone Star College-Houston North Fairbanks
Lone Star College offers high-quality, affordable academic transfer and career training education to 99,000 students each semester. LSC is training tomorrow’s workforce today and redefining the community college experience to support student success. Stephen C. Head, Ph.D., serves as chancellor of LSC, the largest institution of higher education in the Houston area with an annual economic impact of nearly $3 billion.
LSC, which consists of seven colleges, ten centers, two university centers, Lone Star Corporate College and LSC-Online, is continuously named Great Colleges to Work For by the Chronicle of Higher Education. To learn more, visit LoneStar.edu.
LSC-Houston North Fairbanks is located at Highway 290 and West Little York Road, near the Sam Houston Tollway. The Fairbanks location provides a variety of services to students including advising, registration, counseling, and tutoring. Academic programs include basic transfer courses, developmental studies, and English for Speakers of Other Languages.
The location address is 14955 Northwest Freeway, Houston, TX 77040.Job Description
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
Promotes and supports student learning. Responsible for providing and disseminating information services in support of the college's mission to provide quality educational programs to a diverse student population. Position's role encompasses the general areas of learning facilitation, personal and professional development, and institutional and community service. Reference services may include developing or acquiring instructional materials and providing assistance to the college community in the use of research technology and materials. Position contributes to the educational environment of the college by teaching information literacy and providing support for classroom learning.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Instructs students, faculty, and other library users in accessing and using print, audio-visual, and electronic information resources
- Plans and develops a variety of instructional materials using appropriate technologies that will assist students in meeting their research needs
- Promotes the use of general and subject-oriented print and electronic research guides and other instructional materials
- Plans, organizes, and delivers research instruction and other programming
- Maintains a study atmosphere conducive to student learning
- Evaluates, acquires, and provides access to information resources in a variety of formats to support student learning
- Maintains professional working relationships with students, colleagues, and other library users
- Assists students and faculty by supporting specific programs or course research needs
- Provides reference assistance during the day, evenings, and weekends to meet student, faculty, and community research needs
- Interprets policies and procedures for library users
- Responsible for other reasonable, related duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge and skills in library technology
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with colleagues and community
The work is sedentary. Typically, the employee sits comfortably to do the work. However, there may be some walking; standing; bending; carrying of light items, such as papers, books, or small parts; or driving an automobile. No special physical demands are required to perform the work.
WORK SCHEDULE AND CONDITIONS:
- Equipment used includes, PC workstation running on a LAN in a Microsoft Windows environment, calculator, phone and other general office equipment
- Internal and external contacts as needed to carry out the functions of the position
- Work is performed in a climate-controlled office with minimal exposure to safety hazards
- Work schedule is weekends and evenings only
- Master's degree in Library Science
- Minimum 3 years’ library experience in higher education, preferably at a community college
- Thorough knowledge of library automation systems, including circulation and acquisitions functions
Hourly Pay Rate is $25.16Benefits Marketing Statement
By joining our top-notch institution, you will enjoy being a part of an organization that offers a supportive, collegial work environment, excellent work/life balance, tuition waiver, participation in a tax deferred retirement plan and more.Special Instructions
Go to the Job Search page, click on ‘My Activities’ at the top of the page. Under My Cover Letters and Attachments you will click on ‘Add Attachment.’ Please be sure to put the Job ID# in the title once you name your file for cover letters only, unless you attached your cover letter with your resume. You must limit your file name to 40 characters or less.
How to Apply
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE ONLY
We will not accept application material received via fax, email, mail, or hand delivered.
Postings for part-time and adjunct positions are active for the academic year. By selecting the option to receive notifications on your profile, you will begin receiving electronic communication regarding new opportunities with Lone Star College (LSC).
If selected for an interview, a recruiter will contact you by phone, or email to schedule an interview.
Lone Star College participates in the E-Verify program, under which Lone Star College provides the federal government with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm that the employee is authorized to work in the United States.
More information on the E-Verify program is available at www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.
Lone Star College is an EEO Employer. All positions are subject to a criminal background check.