Academic Advisor Sr. #443399
Posting DetailsPosition Information Posting Number20111875Position TitleAcademic Advisor Sr. #443399FTE1.00Position TypeStaffDepartmentCollege of Business Dept Position Summary Information Job Summary/Basic Function
The purpose of this position is to provide advisement and counseling for juniors and seniors in the College of Business. The Academic Advisor will work closely with the COB Cardinal Success Coach to provide support for COB students’ academic success toward completion of their degrees.
Major Essential Job Functions:
1.Responsible for advisement and registration for on-campus juniors and seniors in the College of Business.
•Makes appointments for students for Fall, Spring, and Summer semester course selections;
•Reviews grades before mandatory advisement appointment;
•Determines courses based on prerequisites and availability;
•Advises students of tutoring resources;
•Checks and releases registration holds;
•Advises students of anything which needs to be addressed prior to appointment.
2. Facilitates new student orientation by preparing files for new and transfer students.
3.Collects transcripts and scores.
4.Determines registration status.
5.Assists transfer students with filling out degree plan for major.
6.Works closely with COB Cardinal Coach to administer COB retention program.
7.Meets with prospective students and parents.
8.Provides information to department chairs on students with provisional majors.
9.Communicates with students to keep them informed about policy changes that might affect their status.
10.Checks on student’s study hall hours if needed.
11.Reports to coaches and assistant directors.
12.Provides additional support as needed.
Other duties may be assigned to this position on a regular or occasional basis to respond to needs of the university.
Minimum Education Required:
Two (2) years of experience, preferred. Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university.
Minimum Experience Required:
This job title functions as a lead worker performing same work as other regular, full-time positions led, and includes oversight of work quality, training, instructing, scheduling, and leading work assignments as directed by supervisor.
Work requires contacts with coworkers from other organizational units of the College and University. Resourcefulness is required to reach or adjust working agreements within departmental procedures and operating needs. Tact and judgment are requirements in obtaining or giving information of a confidential nature.
*Knowledge of standard office practices and procedures.
*Knowledge of customer service skills.
*Knowledge of basic budget and accounting techniques.
*Knowledge of appropriate office etiquette.
*Knowledge of policies and procedures affecting work unit.
*Skill in using computers and related software.
*Skill in using Navigate system preferred.
*Skill in composing letters and preparing reports.
*Skill in the operation and use of a variety of office machines and equipment.
*Skill in working with a diverse population.
•Excellent time management and multitasking skills
•Computer literacy; Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Banner
•Ability to enter data efficiently, timely and correctly in order to meet deadlines
•Good planning and organizational skills
•Well-developed verbal, listening, and written communications skills
•Ability to work independently or as a team player
•Attention to detail and a high level of accuracy and confidentiality
•Ability to maintain a professional appearance and manner
•Ability to contend with a wide variety of people on various issues
•Ability to work in a busy office with constant interruptions
Physical Requirements:With or without accommodation:
•Regularly spend long hours sitting and using office equipment and computers
•Regularly move from sitting to standing positions effortlessly
•Regularly work on repetitive tasks
•Regularly use hands and fingers to handle, control or feel objects
•Regularly hold the arm and hand in one position or hold the hand steady while moving the arm
•Regularly use headphones and earpiece
•Regularly see details of objects that are less than a few feet away
•Regularly speak clearly so listeners can understand
•Regularly understand the speech of another person
•Frequently bend to file and maintain files
•Occasionally lift 10-15 pounds
Office environment with controlled temperature. Moderate exposure to noise.
Lamar University Expectation of Quality:
Employee will support the mission of Lamar by providing high quality, professional services, timely responses and solutions to customer requests.
Lamar University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.Veteran's Preference Statement
Lamar University is proud to provide employment preference to veteran applicants in accordance with Texas 805 Government Code, Section 657.003.Preferred QualificationsSecurity Sensitive Statement
This position is security-sensitive and thereby subject to the provisions of the Texas Education Code §51.215, which authorizes the employer to obtain criminal history record information.SalaryCommensurateWork Hours Application Information Posting Date10/04/2019Close DateOpen Until FilledYesSpecial InstructionsPosting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Are you claiming Veteran's Preference in accordance with Texas Senate Bill 805, Section 657.003? PLEASE READ IMPORTANT INSTRUCTIONS: To be considered for Veteran's Preference, applicants must complete and email to [email protected] a Standard Form 15 located at https://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/sf15.pdf to include the required documents per the instructions on the form. Emails MUST also include position titles and posting numbers for each and every position applied for. APPLICANTS WHO FAIL TO EMAIL ALL REQUIRED DOCUMENTS BEFORE A POSTING CLOSES WILL NOT BE AWARDED VETERAN'S PREFERENCE.
- * Do you have a Bachelor's Degree?
- * In what field did you earn your Bachelor's degree?
(Open Ended Question)
- * The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB) maintains a list of Institutions Whose Degrees are illegal to Use in Texas. You can search for your institution on the THECB website at: http://www.thecb.state.tx.us/index.cfm?objectid=3D2801D0-1C9F-11E8-BC500050560100A9. Copy and paste this link into a web browser in order to search under "Fraudulent or Substandard Institutions" for your college/university attended for your degree. Please check your answer BEFORE you submit your application. HR is not responsible for checking your answer nor resubmitting your application back into the pool if you do not answer this question correctly.As part of your educational qualifications for this position, are you claiming a degree from any of the institutions listed on the THECB website referenced above?
- Yes, my institution IS on this list & IS Not accredited.
- No, my institution is NOT on this list & IS accredited.
- * How many years of Academic Advising experience do you have?
- 1 - 2 years of experience
- 3 - 5 years of experience
- 6 or more years of experience
- * Please rate your knowledge and experience of MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook).
- Beginner - Knowledge of MS Office Programs (Word & Excel)
- Intermediate - Knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel, & PowerPoint)
- Moderate - Knowledge & Experience with MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint & Access)
- Expert - Knowledge & Experience using MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook))
- Letter of Interest
- Unofficial Transcript 1