Learning Specialist (Professional English Tutor), Part-time, #19-093
St. Charles Community College is located just west of St. Louis, nestled in the heart of growing St. Charles County. Established in 1986, SCC is a public, comprehensive two-year community college offering associate degrees and certificate programs in the arts, business, sciences and career-technical fields. SCC also provides workforce training and community-based personal and professional development as well as cultural, recreational and entertainment opportunities.
We are seeking a part-time, project-based Learning Specialist who will provide professional tutoring and educational assistance by imparting curriculum-based knowledge, guidance and supplemental classroom instruction in the area of English along with other academic areas.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES may include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Diagnoses student academic problems, provides assistance and guidance, and instructs students in various subjects and study skills.
- Responds to student requests, using diverse instructional strategies to facilitate student understanding, recommends various programs and instructional materials as appropriate, and offers alternative methods to students with learning difficulties and varied learning styles.
- Plans special projects, workshops, and presentations; prepares various handouts; presents workshops and seminars to students, faculty, and other groups. Reviews, evaluates, and organizes new materials for Academic Tutoring Center use.
- Represents the Academic Tutoring Center at college committee meetings and special projects; coordinates ACE services with other departments and provides necessary services to support educational activities college wide.
- Provides plans and actions that lead to continuous improvements as required for certifications from the College and Reading Language Association (CRLA) and the National Association of Developmental Education (NADE).
Provides assistance, guidance, and mentoring to 10-15 student tutors each semester.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Master's degree in English required. Knowledge to include: teaching strategies and methods, diagnosing strategies, one-on-one communication skills, communicating within small groups, preparing and giving presentations. Knowledge of personal computers and various educational software packages. Must be able to operate miscellaneous office equipment such as IBM compatible personal computer, Internet, word processing software, educational/instructional software, calculator, laser printer, telephone, and copier.
At least two years teaching experience, to include a minimum of one year of experience working with computer aided education and learning materials. Excellent interpersonal relations, and organizational skills.
- Free access to our fitness center
- Child care and bookstore discounts
- Discount for non-credit courses offered by our Corporate & Community Development department.
- Easy access to campus resources and events (e.g. Paul and Helen Schnare Library, Center Stage Theatre productions and much more!)
If this opportunity sounds extraordinary, please complete our easy, responsive application process!
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.