Temporary Student Accounts Assistant
Temporary Student Accounts Assistant
Job no: 493181
Position Type: Temporary
Location: Elgin, IL
Experience Level: Entry-Level
Categories: Contingent & Temporary
Role: Temporary Student Accounts Assistant
About ECC:Elgin Community College serves over 9,000 students at every stage of their educational journeys, including university transfer programs, career and technical education, continuing education classes, and adult basic education. As a community, we pride ourselves on nurturing a welcoming campus where every person—students, staff members, faculty members, and campus visitors—feels valued. The work of each ECC employee is central to the college’s mission, and as an employer, the college fosters a positive environment through professional challenges, excellent benefits, and opportunities for recognition and camaraderie.
Work Schedule:Varies: 2 late days of 10:15-7:15 and 7:45-4:45 the other 3 days
Rate of Pay:$ 15.12 per hour
Job Summary:Process and collect all monies due to the institution in an efficient, friendly and timely manner. Process invoices and refunds. Assist students with issues regarding account balances and payments and refer to other departments as necessary.
Explain College policies to students and assist them with navigating various appeals processes.
Implements collection activity on assigned accounts each term and maintains accurate records of this activity in the event the account is forwarded to the Illinois Local Debt Recovery Program.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
1. High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
2. Two years of cash handling experience with demonstrable accuracy with numbers and familiarity with a ten-digit adding machine.
3. Familiarity with Microsoft Word and Outlook, Excel, and Colleague
4. Excellent customer service skills and good telephone etiquette
5. Excellent oral and written communication skills and ability to engage with students.
6. Possess excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
7. Ability to maintain confidentiality.
8. Ability to multi-task in a fast paced, dynamic work environment.
9. Ability to adapt to change
10. Experience working with diverse populations
11. Ability to work a flexible schedule which includes days/evenings/weekends as needed by the department.
Desired Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:Essential Duties:1. Accept and process all forms of tuition payments including cash, checks, debit and credit cards, student sponsorships, and College Illinois. Accept and process payments for all of the college’s auxiliary departmental deposits, proficiency tests, health application fees, graduation fees, career service testing fees, library fines, nursing ID fees, employee’s personal postage, child care payments, Phi Theta Kappa fees, copy center charges, fitness center pass fees, art supply fees, student ID replacement fees, general testing fees, parking tickets, GED voucher payments, gift certificate purchases, field trip fees, tutoring fees, and seminar fees. Identify and process Federal Funds deposits. Apply various charges to accounts and remove applicable restrictions.
2. Provide answers and support to students via phone, email and in person.
3. Process Petty Cash requests and change requests made by auxiliary departments.
4. Assist with financial literacy events as needed.
5. Analyze a student’s account upon request.
6. Assist students who have questions on their 1098T form.
7. Maintain procedures manual for front line procedures and update as needed. Assist in the orientation of new staff using this manual as a guide.
8. Advise students of payment options dependent on status.
9. Implement collection activity on accounts assigned by the Student Accounts Coordinator. work closely with the SA Technical Specialist and Student Accounts Coordinator to assist in the creation of an effective internal collections program and will provide regular feedback in order to maximize efficiency and effectiveness.
10. Open and close the office in a timely manner.
11. Balance cash drawer daily.
12. Make sure the safe is balanced on a daily basis, as assigned. Count the safe contents and complete a vault verification form. Keep track of the denominations of money in the safe. As needed, process a cash/coin order by calling the armored car service and prepare a COD envelope. Recount and verify co-workers’ cash/coin exchanges made from the safe. Place all checks and cash in the safe for lock up at the end of each day. When working a closing shift, ensure the safe is locked and all doors are locked before leaving.
1. Perform other job-related duties as assigned which pertain to the job description.
2. Ability to work a flexible schedule, which includes days/evenings/weekends as needed by the department.
Sedentary (up to 10 lbs occasionally, sitting most of the time)
Close visual acuity (e.g. computer, assembly)
Typical office or administrative
Current SSECCA Union Member Information:
The initial posting date for this position is 10/10/2019. Elgin Community College Support Staff Association (SSECCA) members that apply by 10/16/2019 and meet the posted minimum qualifications will receive full consideration.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
Elgin Community College is an Equal Employment, Equal Access Employer committed to increasing the diversity of our workforce.
Elgin Community College provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. If you need reasonable accommodations for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify the Human resources Department. Determination on request for reasonable accommodations will be made on a case-by-case basis.
Advertised: October 10, 2019 Central Daylight Time