Director, English Language Center
Posting DetailsPosting Details Position TitleDirector, English Language CenterExternal Link to Postinghttp://jobs.uncw.edu/postings/14892DepartmentInternational Programs - 33700Vacancy NumberE373Position Number8526Location of WorkplaceMain UNCW CampusBrief Summary of Work for this Position
The Director of the English Language Center leads the University’s English Language Center (ELC) and ESL campus wide initiative.
Duties include but are not limited to:
• Provide visionary leadership to expand and shape UNCW’s CEA-accredited ELC
• Ensure the successful performance of the unit and its programs
• Maintain oversight and reporting requirements of CEA accreditation
• Ensure growth of a balanced and diverse ELC program
• Develop an international recruitment and marketing plan to grow enrollment
• Develop new international partnerships and maintain ongoing ones (partner universities, sponsoring agencies, agents, etc.)
• Create marketing materials and manage a robust digital marketing plan
• Actively engage in recruitment travel both domestically and internationally
• Develop a multi-level, year-round curriculum to meet the needs of diverse international students
• Develop and implement new programs including, but not limited to: short-term customized programs, summer programs, pathway programs, and customized training programs for international students and professionals
• Oversee curriculum, meet with instructors, observe classrooms, and revise the curriculum as necessary
• Participate in the instruction of ELC programs, as needed
• Manage budget for receipt-funded program
• Actively seek opportunities to increase revenue
• Hire, train, supervise, and evaluate ELC faculty, staff, student workers, and Global Liaisons
• Lead staff meetings
• Attend and present at conferences
• Many of these responsibilities entail evening and weekend commitments (including international travel).
• This position requires a high degree of initiative, creativity and self-direction.
Master’s degree, preferably in TESL, linguistics, or a related field.
At least three years of experience in ESL administration.List the knowledge, skills, and abilities required to perform the essential functions of the position
•Experience designing and implementing new ESL initiatives, with a focus on enrollment growth.
•Team-oriented outlook, analytical and organizational skills, adaptability, a high energy level, creativity, self-direction, a positive and professional attitude, as well as first-rate writing and public speaking skills are essential.
• Ability to work evening and weekend commitments as needed.
• Ability to travel internationally several times per year
•Familiarity with SEVIS and F and J regulations.
•Proficiency in a language in addition to English.
To develop and increase the international dimension of the UNCW campus. This is accomplished by fostering programs and services for international students; helping UNCW students to participate in study abroad programs; assisting UNCW faculty in their teaching, research, and scholarship abroad; developing and strengthening educational linkages with international partners so as to create opportunities for student, faculty, and staff exchanges; identifying and obtaining resources to further the internationalization of UNCW, and by enhancing and expanding international and global opportunities and resources on campus and in the surrounding community.College/School InformationUniversity Information
The University of North Carolina Wilmington, the state’s coastal university, is dedicated to learning through the integration of teaching and mentoring with research and service. A public institution with nearly 16,500 students, the university is known for its superb faculty and staff and powerful academic experience. With an array of high-quality programs at the baccalaureate and master’s levels, and doctoral programs in marine biology, educational leadership, psychology and nursing practice. UNCW is consistently recognized at a national level for academic excellence and affordability by publications like U.S. News & World Report, Kiplinger’s Personal Finance and The Business Journals. UNCW also recently earned the 2015 Community Engagement Classification from the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching, bestowed to higher education institutions dedicated to community involvement.EEO Statement
At the University of North Carolina at Wilmington (UNCW), our culture reflects our values of inclusion, diversity, globalization, ethics and integrity and innovation and we are committed to providing equality of educational and employment opportunity for all persons without regard to race, sex (such as gender, gender identity, marital status, childbirth, and pregnancy), age, color, national origin (including ethnicity), religion, disability, sexual orientation, political affiliation, veteran status, military service member status, genetic information, or relationship to other university constituents – except where sex, age, or ability represent bona fide educational or occupational qualifications or where marital status is a statutorily established eligibility criterion for State funded employee benefit programs. UNCW believes that embracing the unique contributions of our faculty, staff and students is critical to our success and paramount in being recognized for our global mindset.Applicant InstructionsMonths Per Year12 MonthsPosition TypePermanentAnticipated Ending Date if Time-Limited PositionsJob Posting Date07/10/2019Priority Consideration Date08/09/2019Priority Consideration Information
Priority consideration will be given to applications received by the Priority Date; however, applications will be accepted until the position is filled.Address application documents toApplicant DocumentsRequired Documents
- Cover Letter
- List of 3 Professional References
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * What are your visionary leadership goals to expand and shape UNCW’s CEA-accredited English Language Center (ELC)?
(Open Ended Question)
- * How did you learn of this opportunity with UNC Wilmington?
- UNCW LinkedIn Page
- UNCW Facebook Page
- UNCW Twitter Account
- UNCW Website
- Carolina Job Finder / Employment Guide
- Direct Contact from UNCW HR Representative / Recruiter
- UNCW Employee Referral
- Other Social Media Tools
- Chronicle of Higher Education