Posting DetailsPosting Details Posting NumberS04121PWorking TitleIT Technical/Paraprofessional/ProfessionalDepartmentFranklin College Information TechnologyAbout the University of Georgia
The University of Georgia (UGA), a land-grant and sea-grant university with statewide commitments and responsibilities is the state’s oldest, most comprehensive, and most diversified institution of higher education (http://www.uga.edu/). UGA is currently ranked among the top 20 public universities in U.S. News & World Report. The University’s main campus is located in Athens, approximately 65 miles northeast of Atlanta, with extended campuses in Atlanta, Griffin, Gwinnett, and Tifton. UGA was founded in 1785 by the Georgia General Assembly as the first state-chartered University in the country. UGA employs approximately 1,800 full-time instructional faculty and more than 7,600 full-time staff. The University’s enrollment exceeds 36,000 students including over 27,500 undergraduates and over 8,500 graduate and professional students. Academic programs reside in 17 schools and colleges, as well as a medical partnership with Augusta University housed on the UGA Health Sciences Campus in Athens.About the College/Unit/Department
The Franklin College Office of Information Technology (Franklin OIT) is a member of the Dean’s Office and employs more than 40 full-time employees and student workers. As a Help Desk Institute (HDI) Team Certified Organization, Franklin OIT is dedicated to providing exceptional IT support and leadership characterized by optimism, accountability, teamwork, and continuous improvement. Franklin OIT offers a variety of college-wide IT services for free and cost recovery rates. The office is responsible for overseeing department-level and college-wide technology purchases including computer lifecycle, faculty start-up, and student technology fee needs.College/Unit/Department websitehttp://oit.franklin.uga.eduPosting TypeExternalRetirement PlanTRSEmployment TypeEmployeeBenefits EligibilityBenefits EligibleFull/Part timeFull TimeWork ScheduleAdditional Schedule Information
M-F, 40 hours per weekAdvertised SalaryCommensurate with experiencePosting Date10/09/2019Open until filledYesClosing DateProposed Starting Date11/11/2019Special Instructions to ApplicantsLocation of VacancyAthens Area EEO Policy Statement
The University of Georgia is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, genetic information, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or protected veteran status.Position Information Classification TitleIT Technical/Paraprofessional/ProfessionalPay GradeFLSANon-ExemptJob FamilyFTE1.0Minimum Qualifications
Requires technical knowledge in the field acquired through an apprenticeship, a 2-year degree, or professional certificate. Please contact your Human Resources office for an evaluation of education/experience in lieu of the required minimum qualifications.Preferred Qualifications
- BA or BS preferred. Relevant certifications desired.
- All team members are expected to be HDI Support Center Analyst certified. Franklin OIT arranges for all new hires who are not certified to attend HDI SCA training and funds one certification exam attempt.
This position will utilize industry standard tools to deliver high quality proactive support to desktops, laptops, computer labs, and technology-enhanced classrooms, meeting and anticipating the needs of faculty and staff within supported units.
The ideal candidate for this position is prepared to work as part of a team to meet the support needs of faculty and staff within Franklin College. This position is also responsible for developing and maintaining relationships with supported faculty and staff and working with senior team members to manage these relationships.Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and/or Competencies
- Basic knowledge of wired and wireless networking (or TCP/IP)
- Familiarity with common productivity and security applications
- Meet agreed upon objectives and tasks for supported services
- Complete routine requests in a timely manner
- Create a seamless experience for clients
- Perform at a consistently high standard
- Participate in an annual performance development process
- Set and meet realistic goals
- Effectively manage time and stay on-task
- Document interactions with clients/colleagues and routine tasks in a ticketing system
- Maintain productivity by collaborating with team members as appropriate
- Build and sustain positive, collaborative relationships with a diverse range of clients and coworkers
- Promote positive morale and serve as a positive representative of Franklin OIT
- Attend department and college activities
- Serve as an example for colleagues
- Demonstrate professionalism and clarity in written and verbal communications
- Demonstrate personal accountability and avoid blaming others
- Participate in the usage and implementation of college wide tools and standards
- Contribute to the development and support of services which have a college wide scope
- Be available and proactive in assisting co-workers and clients during the work day
- Be receptive to training, coaching, and development from team members
- Complete assigned tasks for workflows and processes within assigned team and/or services
- Demonstrate initiative in planning and organizing work within scope
- Participate in decision making and problem solving at the assistant level
- Demonstrate alignment with Franklin OIT policies, and priorities
- Provide feedback on standards and consult best practices
- Engage with other colleagues and management to explore new technology, recommend alternative solutions, and provide feedback on strategic vision
- This position spends long periods of time sitting/standing at a desk
- Lift and move computer equipment independently or with assistance from colleagues
- Travel to clients in buildings that are geographically near each other and the individual’s primary office
Be advised a credit check will be required for all positions with financial responsibilities. For additional information about the credit check criteria, visit the UGA Credit Background Check website.Duties/Responsibilities Duties/Responsibilities
This position will perform the following tasks at the assistant level; this position will consult with his/her/their supervisor and other colleagues as necessary to complete these tasks:
- Respond to requests for service and engage in proactive computer support for units in Franklin College as assigned.
- Provide support for desktop and laptop computers (Windows, Mac) including security, networking, peripherals, hardware, and software in accordance with our standard service levels.
- Develop and deploy desktop computer images.
- Perform some server-side tasks in collaboration with senior colleagues.
- Serve as a DNL (domain network liaison) and keep DHCP entries up to date. Troubleshoot wired and wireless networking on an as-needed basis.
- Provide front-line support for technology-enhanced classrooms, computer labs, and videoconferencing.
- Provide support for unit specific software.
- Train and develop technical skills; become familiar with Franklin OIT standards and policies
- Use a ticketing system to manage his/her time and track requests; this position will participate in a college level help desk
- Develop documentation, presentations, and training materials for clients and other audiences. Provide training on an as needed basis.
- Consult with faculty and staff and recommend appropriate IT solutions; keep faculty and staff informed about policies and practices in IT
- Contribute to development of standards and best practices, collaborate with colleagues in Franklin OIT, and participate in OIT projects.
- Work with team members across Franklin to address coverage gaps
- Help manage equipment life cycles, explore emerging technologies, and recommend solutions that may help improve efficiency and effectiveness. Gather quotes as needed and interact with vendors for support.
- Participate in IT meetings at the department, college, and/or institutional level.
Other duties as assigned.Percentage of time5Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter