Posting DetailsPosting Information Vacancy TypeEHRA Non-FacultyIs Internal Transfer OnlyNoWorking TitleExtension AssociateSalary RangeAnticipated Hiring RangeCommensurate with ExperiencePosition Number00107802Work ScheduleMonday - Friday / 8am - 5pm (additional hours as needed)Full Time Equivalent (FTE)1.00Department111401 - Agricultural and Human SciencesDepartmentAgricultural and Human SciencesJob City & StateRaleigh, NCPrimary Function of Organizational Unit
The Department of Agricultural and Human Sciences educates students in agricultural education, leadership and youth, family, and community sciences. We aim to improve the health and well-being of youth, families, and communities, both locally and globally. We do this through academic programs in agricultural and extension education and youth, family, and community sciences that are offered at the undergraduate and graduate levels. Faculty in the Department work across the functions of extension, research, and teaching to serve students and stakeholders.Essential Job Duties
This Extension Associate position will develop and support instructors in the growing number of retail food safety programs, resources and research initiatives in the Department of Agricultural and Human Sciences. This position will work with the department food safety team that not only provides programming and technical training to extension agents across North Carolina, but also serves state partners and businesses with food safety support. The team is composed of the state food safety specialist, extension associates in the areas of outreach and teaching, and research, as well as state to county liaisons.
Specifically, this position will drive the further development, optimization, and training instructors on the Safe Plates for Food Managers and Safe Plates for Food Handlers programming for extension use, for integration into public high schools state-wide, and for launch out of state. This position will also be integrated into the national teaching and development team for the Validation and Verification of HACCP Plans program. Finally, this position would collaborate with other extension associates in the development of new retail food safety programming for state government partners.
Main responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Provide technical expertise and training to NC Cooperative Extension Agents and other partners for all retail food safety programs.
- Lead in the development, branding, maintenance and instructor support for programming throughout the state.
- Coordinate and lead in-person and online food safety training’s.
- Develop resources and visuals to supplement programs and information center.
- Lead program evaluation and possible program related research, such as long-term behavior change studies.
- Develop, execute, and report on short term contract retail food safety research projects such as observational studies and assessments.
- Coordinate teams and communicate with stakeholders for short and long term research projects.
Other duties as assigned.Minimum Education/Experience
- Master’s degree in Food Science, Microbiology, or related field.
- Strong technical understanding of food science and food safety.
- Strong presentation and teaching skills.
- Ability to communicate professionally in verbal and written formats.
- Doctorate degree in Food Science, Microbiology, or related field.
- Understanding of the FDA Model Food Code.
- Experience with graphic design and proficient in basic design tools like Adobe, Photoshop, etc.
- Experience in interacting and leading campaigns on social media platforms.
- Ability to analyze and interpret data and use statistical software such as SAS or INVIVO.
- Valid NC Driver’s License or the ability to obtain within 60 days of start.
In addition to your application please submit a cover letter, CV, and the contact information for references.Job Open Date10/09/2019Anticipated Closing DateIs this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?NoProposed Hire DateAA/EOE
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you learn of this opportunity?
- NCSU Website
- NCSU Executive Search Services
- Other Online Job Board
- Carolina Job Finder / Employment Guide
- Job / Career Fair
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Professional Journal
- Print Advertisement (Newspaper / Periodical)
- Professional Organization
- Direct Contact from NCSU HR Representative / Recruiter
- NCSU Employee Referral
- Social Media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Other)
- If you learned about this vacancy from "other source" or "other website", please provide the source.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have, or will you have by date of hire, a Master's degree or higher in Food Science, Microbiology, or related field?
- * Please briefly explain your understanding of the FDA Model Food Code.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please describe your experience, if any, interacting with and leading campaigns on social media platforms.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have experience analyzing and interpreting data using statistical software such as SAS or INVIVO?
- * Do you have a valid NC Driver's license or the ability to obtain one within 60 days of your start date?
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Contact Information for References