Director of Undergraduate Admissions
The University of St. Thomas (www.stthom.edu), a private Catholic university located in Houston, Texas is committed to the liberal arts and to the religious and intellectual traditions of the Catholic higher education, is seeking a Director of Undergraduate Admissions. Located in the fourth largest city in America, UST spans almost 20 city blocks in the heart of Houston's highly desirable Museum District adjacent to the world-renowned Texas Medical Center.
The Director of Undergraduate Admission manages and directs a high energy admissions office focused on achieving enrollment results for all University undergraduate programs. The Director will lead all aspects of recruitment for first-year and transfer students. The Director will be a strategic partner in the implementation of a comprehensive recruitment plan and provide day-to-day leadership to a team of approximately twenty admission professionals. The cyclical nature of the responsibilities is such that the requirements of the job change dramatically during various times of the year. This environment requires flexibility, and the ability to work effectively under stressful conditions.
The Director must be innovative and adept at promoting opportunities, as well as bringing forth recommendations for new recruitment ideas and marketing strategies that match the university's mission, resources, and market demand.
The Director will participate as an active member of the recruitment team and help manage data for all aspects of use in a successful enrollment management environment. The Director will be asked to travel on behalf of the University and work hours will include evenings and weekends, as needed.
The Director will report to the Vice President for Enrollment and Student Engagement.
- Oversee and supervise all daily operations of the Undergraduate Admissions Office and staff including admissions counselors, support staff, operations staff and student workers.
- Ability to articulate the Mission and Values of the University as a Catholic university that follows the liberal arts tradition.
- Develop and sustain relationships with key constituents, including, prospective students and families, high school and independent counselors, community college counselors, university partners, alumni, and local and civic leaders.
- Coordinate data entry processes and the general management of the applicant database including activities such as maintaining, analyzing and interpreting statistical reports and information and also developing protocols, processes and procedures to increase efficiency.
- Analysis of data and market trends, development of strategic outreach and communications, and management of a cohesive student recruitment plan.
- Assure data quality and integrity in all actions within the department.
- Oversee the activities of the professional and clerical staff members.
- Evaluate and monitor applications and credentials for admission.
- Oversee territory management plans for admissions staff related to recruitment and travel. Maintain and refresh admissions information by working collaboratively with the Marketing and Communications team.
- Lead all aspects of recruitment for Undergraduate Admissions.
- Provide essential data, relevant information and other requested input to the Vice President for Enrollment Management and Student Engagement to facilitate decision making in areas such as strategic recruitment, enrollment planning, financial aid leveraging, budgeting, marketing, publications (including electronic-only items like the web) development, advertising, and technology needs. The Director will work in partnership with marketing and communications and other departments within the university to ensure
- Assist the Vice President for Enrollment Management and Student Engagement in the creation and deployment of policies governing admission of traditional undergraduate students.
- Participate in other duties as assigned to help the University reach enrollment goals.
- Partner with university administration, faculty, students, athletics, and external organizations. Serve on committees as appointed.
- Leverage innovative solutions and data analytics to execute strategic enrollment initiatives and outcomes.
Education and Work Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in management, business, administration, or similar field required. Master's Degree preferred.
- Minimum of eight years of progressive enrollment/admission responsibilities at a university with enrollments of a minimum of 4,000 students
- Outstanding writing and superior spoken communication skills; must have the ability to effectively articulate and communicate the distinctive features of a University of St. Thomas education to all audiences.
- Effective organization and human relations skills
- Ability to work well in a diverse environment
- Demonstrated leadership in motivating, coaching, and developing a team with enthusiasm to support and ensure admissions best practices are being followed. There should be an emphasis on continuing professional development and a strong desire to cultivate admissions thought-leadership across the entire staff.
- Proficiency with computer and Microsoft Office Applications software including word processing, spreadsheets, and databases
- Strong knowledge of student information systems and CRM databases associated with higher education admissions.
- Sophisticated understanding of enrollment strategies, market research, social media, admissions, and financial aid
- Planning and organizational skills enabling multitasking
- Ability to demonstrate self-direction and motivation
- Ability to work as a member of a team, as well as individually and independently The nature and scope of these responsibilities at the University of St. Thomas, a private Catholic university, require that the incumbent be aligned with the values of the Roman Catholic Church and be familiar with the Church’s teachings on social justice, dignity of the human person, education, and sanctity of life. Being a member in good standing with the Roman Catholic Church is preferred. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of work performed by individuals in this position. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and qualifications required of individuals in this position. All positions may have miscellaneous job duties assigned on an as-needed basis. Management, at the appropriate level, retains the right to assign and change the duties of this and any position at any time.
Applicants will be reviewed immediately and will be accepted until the position is filled. You must submit an up to date resume and cover letter describing your interest in the position and in joining a growth-oriented Catholic institution to be considered.
The University of St. Thomas is an equal opportunity employer.
Apply for Director of Undergraduate Admissions
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly