Office Support Specialist - University of Illinois Extension - Oglesby, IL (123523)
Office Support Specialist – University of Illinois Extension
Units 8 & 11 Cluster - Oglesby, IL (UNIT 8 - LaSalle County)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Primary Position Function/Summary: The Extension Office Support Specialist is a non-academic staff position, which provides support services for the overall operation of the county Extension program. The Extension Office Support Specialist will work with the County Director, Unit Educators, Program Coordinators, Extra-Help staff, Community Workers, and volunteers, as well as related organizations for the coordination of programs and distribution of educational information. This staff member will organize, coordinate, and perform a variety of clerical and supervisory duties requiring knowledge of general office and university procedures and methods and will manage all financial activities of the Unit. Responsibilities will include the supervision of the Office Support Associates and Extra-Help staff in the Unit.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervises and trains Office Support Associates in all segments of fiscal work including three Unit In/Out accounts, managed by Office Support Associates and Extra-Help Clerical. Create a spreadsheet to track all deposits for corresponding transfer to proper University account. Track all expenses to ensure the In/Out accounts are being reimbursed by use of an Expense Report. Supervise Office Support Associates to keep and maintain accurate lists for program registrations, payments and receipts clientele as appropriate.
- Gather and analyze six Unit checking account (In/Outs & Federations) reconciliations monthly to monitor accuracy. Submit all Unit checking account reconciliations monthly to the UIE Finance website. Work closely with each Unit Office Support Associate to make certain the annual audit of In/Out and Federation accounts are completed according to policy/procedure and by the deadline.
- Supervise the compiling of data needed to complete Transfer of Funds for all Unit SPIN Grants, supervising Office Support staff to ensure accuracy. Supervise the reconciliation of P-card and T-card purchases by Unit Office Support staff, ensuring the budgeted program area is noted for fiscal reporting and all are reconciled in a timely manner.
- Work closely with Unit Office Support and Youth Development staff to issue 4-H premium checks accurately and complete reports to campus fiscal/State4-H.
- Prepare all Unit transmittals for funds being sent to campus, keeping accurate files of what has been sent and reconciling the report provided by University Financial Office. Confirm the payment by all agreement partners prior to the end of the fiscal year.
- Responsible for Annual Giving fund drives in Bureau and LaSalle Counties, supervising the Office Support Associate/Extra Help to ensure the database is kept current, letters are mailed, and spreadsheets kept of all donors.
- Maintain numerous Unit Banner accounts – including Trust, AITC Grant, SNAP-Ed Grant, Self-Supporting, Foundation, SPIN Grants and other grants awarded to the Unit. Each account is downloaded and reconciled monthly to monitor spending.
- Responsible for overseeing the SNAP-ED Grant account and reporting. Independently maintains Extension appropriation account records, which includes: vouchers, requisitions, invoices, cost/profit of workshops, and compiling of data from several sources to justify budgets.
- Train and supervise the Unit #8 Office Support Associates, extra help and volunteers in office procedures and assist professional staff in interviewing and arranging work schedules. Assist with Probationary Review of new Office Support Associates and clerical staff hires. Travel to county offices to conduct training or provide needed support.
- Answer both oral and written inquiries of Unit Office Support and Extra-Help staff, providing standard information related to various University policies, fiscal questions and office procedures. Plan, schedule and run meetings with Unit Office Support staff, preparing agenda to ensure training on all fiscal/clerical policies and procedures.
- Responsible for gathering and reviewing all Unit timesheets bi-weekly, correcting any errors by communicating with staff members, entering time into Banner to ensure it is received by Payroll on time. Maintain personnel files for all Unit #8 personnel.
- Work closely with and assist the County Director with all job postings, new Hiring Requests, job descriptions and Hiring Confirmations. Ensure that all“ new hire” paperwork is completed and submitted for all Unit new hires. Monitor all Unit Extra-Help 900 hour positions, tracking hours to ensure the best utilization of the hours.
- Monitor entire Unit #8 equipment inventory, working closely with Office Support Staff to guarantee a precise inventory. Submits all “Request to Dispose of Equipment” for Unit equipment no longer being used. Arranges the return of approved items to the Surplus location indicated.
- Supply compliance postings guidelines to each Unit Office Support Staff and monitor the posting of all necessary documents. Supervises Office Support Associate to keep website up to date with news releases, photos, online registrations, calendar of events and all other pertinent information.
- Supervises Office Support Associates for preparation of Annual Report document and assists in compilation. Supervises Office Support Associates/Extra Help and aids in reporting for Master Gardener/Master Naturalist Program.
- The Office Support Specialist will comply with all University of Illinois Extension Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity policies and guidelines in all aspects of Extension work and assist Unit staff with collection for Affirmative Action, Gender, and Targeted Reports.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
1. High school graduation or equivalent.
2. One (1) year (12 months) of work experience comparable to the second level of this series.
3. Any one or any combination of the following, totaling two (2) years (24 months) of experience in the categories below:
a. work experience performing office/clerical activities, including use of computer systems
b. college or university coursework in any curriculum
· twelve (12) semester hours = six (6) months· twenty-four (24) semester hours = twelve (12) months· thirty-six (36) semester hours = eighteen (18) months· forty-eight (48) semester hours = twenty-four (24) months
Note: Amounts of experience or training less than those listed above should be converted to decimal equivalents of 1.0 unit and added together when computing combinations of the different types of preparation.
For more information about this Civil Service classification:
This Office Support Specialist position is a 100%-time, benefits-eligible civil service position. The work schedule is Monday-Friday (37.5 hours per week, 12 months per year). The minimum salary is $19.152 per hour.
To apply, submit a Civil Service application at jobs.illinois.edu and an Exam Request form for OFFICE SUPPORT SPECIALIST – Oglesby, IL Extension . Please include all relevant work/volunteer experience coordinating educational and/or community programs or activities. This information should be included in the Experience portion of the application. Documents such as college transcripts (unofficial are accepted), resumes, driver’s license (copy of both sides), professional licenses, and certifications should be uploaded to the application by the time you submit an exam request, as these documents may be required for your exam.
For further information regarding application procedures, contact Illinois Human Resources at 217-333-2137 or [email protected].
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. Other pre-employment assessments may be required, depending on the classification of Civil Service employment.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
College Name or Administrative Unit:ACES Category:9-Off-Campus Title:Office Support Specialist - University of Illinois Extension - Oglesby, IL (123523) Open Date:10/09/2019 Close Date:11/07/2019 Organization Name:Unit 08