Sponsored Programs Specialist
Position InformationPosition Information Present Position Number00377VRole Code TitleFinancial Specialist IPosition TitleSponsored Programs SpecialistPosition Summary
The Office of Sponsored Programs is seeking motivated applicants to apply for the Sponsored Programs Specialist position and join their dynamic team of Professionals. The successful incumbent will possess excellent communication and organization skills, along with a background in finance or accounting.
Virginia Institute Marine Science (VIMS) Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP) is charged with management of all pre-award and post-award activities associated with extramural funding requested and received in support of the institution’s tri-partite missions of research, education, and advisory service
There are two Sponsored Programs Specialists dedicated to supporting the Sponsored Programs Administrators and externally sponsored research programs of VIMS. Each Sponsored Programs Specialist assists Sponsored Programs Administrators in preparing and submitting research proposals, ensures proper stewardship of financial resources by monitoring and managing limited Sponsored Programs accounts, and verifies compliance with all federal, state, institutional, and award-specific regulations and guidelines. Retain all required records according to retention schedule.
The Sponsored Programs Specialist is also charged with updating grant making processes and training materials on a regular basis under the direction of the Senior Sponsored Program Administrator. Manages the circulation of route and review process for proposals to facilitate the internal review/approval procedure in a timely manner. Communicate with Principal Investigators (PIs) regarding any missing information for distribution. Additionally, the Specialist manages the circulation of incoming mail items for approval by Sponsored Programs staff.
Specific responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Prepares any necessary subcontracts to other institutions prior to submitting to the Institute’s Authorized Organizational Representative (AOR) for signature.
- Prepares and submits invoices and draw downs in a timely manner and in accordance with award requirements for all active awards. Assists with review of grant banking information and management of outstanding payment issues.
- Reviews accounts monthly to monitor budget balances and alerts financial personnel of any needed expenditure adjustments for all active grants.
- Monitors project end dates and send 90-day notifications to Sponsored Program staff, financial personnel and/or Principal Investigator (PI) alerting them of the upcoming end date.
- Reviews and approves/disapproves procurement requisitions, travel authorizations, and service center charges submitted by Principal Investigator (PI) to ensure that the grant expenditures are allowable, reasonable, and directly allocable to the project. Reviews and approves / disapproves quarterly time and effort plans to ensure that personnel effort costs are accurately reported for each project.
- Review and approve/disapprove quarterly time and effort plans to ensure that personnel effort costs are accurately reported for each project. Prepare and submit to financial personnel quarterly expenditure reports for all active awards.
- Complete the institutional closeout process for all awards.
Bachelor’s degree in a related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Basic knowledge or familiarity of federal, state and regulations related to grants and contracts.
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to reconcile data and run reports.
- Strong working proficiency of a variety of computer applications to include working knowledge of MS Office applications.
- Background or experience in accounting, financial management or other fiscal related administration.
- Experience using an automated financial or accounting system.
Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or a closely related field, highly desirable.
- Working knowledge of federal regulations governing grants/contracts including 2 CFR 200 (Uniformed Administrative Requirements, Cost Principles, and Audit Requirements for Federal Awards) and Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR), with the demonstrated ability to interpret guidelines, regulations and complex documents and apply policies and procedures.
- Knowledge with web-based proposal, payment and awards management systems (e.g.,FastLane, grants.gov) or other similar web based applications is highly desirable.
- Knowledge of Commonwealth of VA state university policies.
- Strong proficiency in a variety of computer applications to include automated accounting systems.
- Experience working in higher education is desirable.
- Demonstrated experience in sponsored programs administration at an institution of higher education is highly preferred.
- Experience using Banner (finance /accounting module) is highly desirable.
U08Job Open Date10/09/2019Review Begin DateJob Close Date10/23/2019Open Until FilledNoEmployment CategoryOperational FTPosition Term12-MonthSpecial Application InstructionsConditions of Employment:
- This is a non-exempt position, eligible to receive overtime in accordance with the Fair Labor Standards Act and university policy. This position may be subject to overtime during high peak times, etc. as directed and approved by the supervisor.
- This position is subject to occasional travel.
William & Mary is an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action/Equal Access employer and actively encourages applications from minorities, women, disabled persons and veterans.Background Check Statement
William & Mary is committed to providing a safe campus community. W&M conducts background investigations for applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include reference checks, a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial (credit) report or driving history check.Supplemental Question
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Please rate your experience using Microsoft Excel
- No Experience
- * Please rate your level of experience with Microsoft Word?
- none; or limited experience
- Basic proficiency
- Intermediate Proficiency
- Advanced Proficiency
- * Please describe /elaborate on your experience in finance, accounting or related course study experience.
(Open Ended Question)
- * What does diversity & inclusion mean to you?
(Open Ended Question)
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Cover Letter
- Other Doc
- Other 2