Assistant Professor of Teacher Education with a Specialization in Reading and Literacy Education
Posting DetailsPosition Information Position TitleAssistant Professor of Teacher Education with a Specialization in Reading and Literacy EducationPosting NumberFac00430Employment TypeFull-TimeBenefits AvailableYes Position Summary Information Nature of Work
The Department of Education and Teacher Preparation at the College of Coastal Georgia invites applications for the position of Assistant Professor of Teacher Education specializing in Reading and Literacy Education. Dynamic applicants who are interested in working with teacher education faculty in a collaborative environment to prepare candidates for initial teacher certification are encouraged to apply. Qualified applicants must have successful experience in teaching at the K-12 level. Experience with undergraduate teaching, advising, and field experience supervision is preferred. Also desirable is a working knowledge of current evidence-based practices in teacher education, innovation in curriculum development, assessment for continuous improvement initiatives, and professional development schools and/or a clinical model of teacher preparation. Qualified applicants will be expected to collaborate with faculty in the Education and Teacher Preparation Program to support connections across courses and fieldwork. This position is a full-time tenure-track appointment starting Fall 2020.Essential Duties
- Teach undergraduate level reading and literacy courses for elementary teachers as well as content-area literacy and language arts methods courses for prospective middle grades and secondary teachers.
- As needed, teach curriculum planning, assessment, and/or instructional methods courses for prospective elementary, middle grades, and secondary teachers.
- Supervise teacher candidates at the elementary and/or middle grades levels.
- Contribute to the collegial community of the department and maintain excellence within and across teacher preparation programs.
- Advise undergraduate students majoring in education.
- Engage in scholarly activities including, but not limited to, research, course development, publishing, conference presentations, and/or grant procurement as aligned to the Boyer Model of Scholarship.
- Provide service to the department, college, and partnering school districts, as applicable.
Minimum qualifications require the applicant to hold a doctorate in a teacher education related field with 3 years of teaching experience at the elementary, middle grades, secondary, and/or college level. Candidates must also have excellent written and oral communication skills and exceptional interpersonal and collaboration skills.Preferred Qualifications and Training
Preference will be given to applicants with an area of specialization in reading/literacy education. Additional preference will be given for a record of success teaching courses for prospective and/or practicing teachers in K-12 reading/literacy instruction. The preferred applicant will have experience with English language learners, special education, service-learning, and/or edTPA. The preferred applicant demonstrates a commitment to developing collaborative relationships with K-12 schools and shows investment in student learning and teacher candidate success.Special Instructions to Applicants
The College of Coastal Georgia is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College supports equal employment opportunities for all persons without regard to race, color, creed, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, gender, national origin, status as a war veteran, age, disability, or any other status protected by law.
Based on the University system of Georgia’s policy, official sealed transcripts must be provided upon offer and acceptance of all Faculty positions.
College of Coastal Georgia is an undergraduate college in the University System of Georgia. Located on Georgia’s coast, the College campus is in Brunswick with additional outreach through the Camden Center in Kingsland. The vision of the College is to be a college of choice for students within Georgia and beyond, providing an outstanding education for tomorrow’s leaders and citizens through service-learning, global awareness and engaged entrepreneurship. With a strong emphasis on student retention, progression and timely graduation, the College offers baccalaureate degrees in American Studies, Biological Sciences, Business Administration, Criminal Justice, Education, French, Health Informatics, Interdisciplinary Studies, Mathematics, Nursing (BSN), Psychology, Public Management, Spanish, and Workforce Management and Leadership, as well as career associate degrees in Culinary Arts, Hospitality Management, Nursing (ASN) and Radiologic Science. A veterans-friendly campus, the College is a designated Yellow Ribbon School. Approximately 3,000 students are served by more than 200 staff members and a teaching faculty of whom 52% hold doctoral degrees. CCGA is an active participant in the Complete College Georgia initiative designed to support community partnerships and develop the critical thinking, problem-solving and communication skills necessary to address the challenges of 21st century economic development and community wellbeing. For more information, visit the College website: http://www.ccga.eduPosting Detail Information Open Date09/23/2019Close DateOpen Until FilledYesPosting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you first learn of this job opening?
- Brunswick News
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Coastal CareerLink
- College of Coastal Georgia website (www.ccga.edu)
- Current/Former College Employee
- Personal Referral
- University System Applicant Clearinghouse
- Georgia Department of Labor
- * Are you currently employed by this College? If yes, enter the department name. If no, enter "No".
(Open Ended Question)
- * Are you legally eligible for employment in the United States?
- * Will you now or in the future require sponsorship for employment visa status?
- * What will your highest level of education be as of the anticipated start date?
- High School Diploma
- Associate Degree
- Bachelor's Degree
- Master's Degree
- Doctoral Degree
- * Do you have college level teaching experience?
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Teaching Philosophy
- Transcripts 1
- Transcripts 2
- Other Documents