Dean of Academic Affairs
Department:: Academic Affairs
Locations:: Poughkeepsie, NY
Posted:: Oct 8, 2019
Closes:: Open Until Filled
About Dutchess Community College:
Located in the heart of New York's beautiful and historic mid-Hudson Valley, just 90 minutes north of New York City, DCC is part of the State University of New York, the largest comprehensive public higher education system in the country. A winner of the 2015 HEED Award for inclusiveness, DCC is dedicated to respecting individuality, embracing diversity and partnering with the community to achieve shared goals. The College welcomes applications from faculty and staff who share and are anxious to support the institution's values of Excellence, Access, Diversity, Collaboration and Accountability, and who are passionate about engaging with both students and the community.
Dean of Academic Affairs
Under the direction of the Provost and Vice President of Academic Affairs and Student Services, the Dean of Academic Affairs provides dynamic leadership to the academic enterprise of the College and is primarily responsible for planning, implementing and assessing all educational offerings (credit and credit-free) while fostering a collegial environment that encourages teaching and learning excellence through an enduring commitment to diversity of students, faculty, staff and ideas. The Dean oversees the operations of the College's academic departments and academic support services including supervision of the hiring, mentoring, reappointment and tenure of faculty as well as instructional and administrative staff.The Dean of Academic Affairs ensures continued focus on the goals and aspirations articulated in DCC's mission, vision and strategic plan.
Responsibilities will include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Ensures academic excellence and integrity and leads innovation in programs and methods of delivery that respond in a timely manner to a rapidly changing environment
- Demonstrates and develops academic vision and leadership across the College through various mechanisms including chairing the Departmental Affairs Council and the Program Chairs Council
- Provides leadership and direction in all aspects of curriculum, academic programs, academic standards, assessment and accreditation
- Is committed to upholding academic standards and the principle of academic freedom
- Promotes collaborative efforts and ensures highly effective communication and cooperation among all departments
- Acts as an advocate for faculty, staff and students in support of student success
- Directs the recruitment, selection, promotion, retention and professional development of all faculty
- Provides administrative oversight for the budgets within the departments reporting to OAA
- Oversees the academic operations across all locations for course scheduling, delivery, faculty assignments, faculty load and contracts
- Leads the effective delivery of academic support services across the College
- Serves on the President's Cabinet, the Administrative Staff Council, the President's Advisory Council and a standing committee of the Professional Staff Organization
- Supervises the work of the administrators assigned to the Dean of Academic Affairs including the Associate Deans of Academic Affairs and the Registrar
- Supervises and evaluates the work of Department Chairs, in both their administrative and faculty roles
- Assume other responsibilities as assigned by the Provost and the President of the College
The Dean of Academic Affairs will hold at least a Master's Degree, have a minimum of six (6) years of full time teaching in higher education (community college teaching preferred) and 6 years of academic leadership experience in progressively responsible positions demonstrating a proven ability to meet college-wide objectives. Experience working and managing within a unionized environment is required. Experience with increasing student enrollment/student retention is preferred. Candidates should have a demonstrated knowledge of and a commitment to the mission of a community college. Successful candidates will have a proven track record of working collaboratively with diverse students, faculty and staff.
The Dean of Academic Affairs is a 12-month management/confidential position reporting directly to the Provost and Vice President of Academic Affairs and Student Services.
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until qualified candidates have been identified and the position is filled. Please submit a cover letter and updated Resume / CV.along with 3 professional references