Tutor - Biology - Part Time
The part-time tutor bridges the gap between the college and the needs of the student. This position also helps students make academic progress, while promoting independent learning and self-reliance.
- Provides academic assistance to assigned tutees, either in a group or individually.
- Establishes liaison with the instructor and works under the instructor’s direction to assist the student.
- Attends periodic training sessions given by staff members to increase competency in working with students.
- Maintains records on each student who is being tutored, including follow-up and periodic assessment. Schedules tutoring appointments. Provides evaluations and other reports as required by staff.
- Helps students develop positive attitudes toward learning and studying and helps students develop a high level of motivation in academic areas.
- Assists students in achieving a better understanding of specific subject material and in improving academic capabilities in designated areas.
- Helps students develop the study skills necessary for academic success. Establishes and maintains rapport with the assigned students.
- Assists in designing and implementing class cooperative projects.
- Completion of a Bachelor’s Degree or higher from an accredited college or university in biology or related field.
- Proficient in subject area to be tutored.
- Completion of tutoring certification preferred.
- Experience in teaching, tutoring, or delivering academic support to students at the post-secondary instructional level is strongly preferred.
- Experience working in a large urban community college environment with a diverse cultural and ethnic student body is highly desirable.
- Knowledge of effective tutoring techniques and strategies in subject area.
- Knowledge of tutoring strategies used for improving student study skills.
- Possess excellent communication skills.
- Must be self-directed and able to complete assignments in a timely manner.
- Must be flexible in the availability of working hours.
Malcolm X College wasselected as a 2019 Promising Places to Work in Community Colleges awardwinner! The award is given by the National Institute for Staff andOrganizational Development (NISOD), a membership organization committed topromoting and celebrating excellence in teaching and leadership at communityand technical colleges, and Diverse: Issues in Higher Education, a leadingacademic publication. MXC was recognized for its best-in-class student andstaff recruitment and retention practices, inclusive learning and workingenvironments, and meaningful community service and engagement opportunities.
We are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.Thank you for your interest in City Colleges of Chicago!
Job: Student Services
Primary Location: Malcolm X College
Job Posting: Nov 12, 2019, 2:46:18 PM